News: PFT: Trevor Lawrence contract doesn't change things for Dak Prescott

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
If Trey can play....i'm not sure how much cheaper he would be than Dak. He's up for contract too....probably in their best interest money wise to not see him play this year if he's really the real deal...but then again how would you know if you don't get to see him?
Even if he balled out in TC— Dak is starting this year. They aren’t paying him 55 mil to ride the pines

Then they make up their minds after the season: sign Dak, or let him walk and sign Trey instead

The deal they would give Trey would all be based on potential and no actual regular season data. It would be much, much lower

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Further evidence that the signing is just a matter of time.
Except the team has $107 million of dead cap in 2024-26.

And it’s all because of Dak.

Fans wonder why we can’t sign UFAs.

Why would they add more $$$ to that mess?

Especially when they have Lance.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
2nd comes after 1st.

Romo didn't get a 1st big contract.

Romo's first extension was signed in 2008. It made him the 18th highest paid QB that season. Right behind Jamarcus Russell.

@baltcowboy , since you tried Romo too.
Romo got one of worst extensions in football history after multiple injuries along with his bad back he signed an extension that made him the highest paid player in football. Why do you think the media joked about Romo being Jerry’s long lost son. Romo named one of his boys Jonesy for a reason.

Happy Father’s Day by the way everyone.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look on the bright side as if good old Jerry extends Dak you and your buds will have these lovely forums all to yourself.
Oh the JOY........................
I think you drank too much chocolate milk. I was asking about captain

baltcowboy

Reaction score
2nd comes after 1st.

Romo's first extension was signed in 2008. It made him the 18th highest paid QB that season. Right behind Jamarcus Russell.

Tony signed big extensions in 2008 and 2013. Contracts were much different back then they are now. You need to look at the contracts compared to the salary cap back then as well.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Even if he balled out in TC— Dak is starting this year. They aren’t paying him 55 mil to ride the pines

Then they make up their minds after the season: sign Dak, or let him walk and sign Trey instead

The deal they would give Trey would all be based on potential and no actual regular season data. It would be much, much lower
Dak is owed $29 million (not $55 million) for this season, $0 guaranteed. Trey is owed $4.5 million on the fifth day of training camp and $1 million for the balance of the season. Both are free agents in March of 2025. If either one prevails as the starting quarterback for 2025 they’re going to think they deserve to be paid monstrous money. If Dak signs elsewhere, which seems likely at this point, Lance’s agent will negotiate for significant compensation.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Tony signed big extensions in 2008 and 2013. Contracts were much different back then they are now. You need to look at the contracts compared to the salary cap back then as well.
I was looking at cap hits and it looks like 2007 (6th) and 2010 (8th) were the only season Romo was a ever top 10 cap hit among QBs.

Dak's been a top cap hit every year since 2020.

shabazz

Reaction score
Here’s another fan who blames the entirety of a teams failure on the QB not taking into consideration the players around him. It boggles me daily.
In your special world, is the quarterback ever at blame?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

I think there's a very real chance, if Lance balls out in preseason and the Cowboys are like 2-7 or 3-8 going into week 10, that Lance gets a shot.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm saying at least Romo gave his team a little room. Never was the highest paid... Dak and his team have multiple times been asking for highest contract. The only QB in this league that deserves 55m+ a year is Mahomes. And everyone else isn't even in the same universe as him. Dak is worth 40-45m maybe. He should have the same deal Mayfield got.
Dak and Mayfiled should get the same deal? Really?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

It would be lower than 55 yes but how much lower I’m not sure. Especially if he’s projected to be a starter.

Bagman

Reaction score
I truly think this Cowboy team can lose in the first round of the playoffs with a $5-10 million QB. We don't need a $60 million QB to lose that game. Problem is, the FO has failed to build a good enough team to withstand losing Dak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
2nd comes after 1st.

Fact check:

Romo’s first extension was in 2007.

“The new deal, worth a reported $67.5 million, makes Romo one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the NFL.”

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2007/10/30/Romo-given-six-year-contract-extension/92781193770807/

blueblood70

Reaction score
I truly think this Cowboy team can lose in the first round of the playoffs with a $5-10 million QB. We don't need a $60 million QB to lose that game. Problem is, the FO has failed to build a good enough team to withstand losing Dak.
Wrong they won't make the playoffs...... Crying over being in the playoffs 5 and the last eight years will be worse when they cant make it at all.. The only way a $10 million quarterback gets in the playoffs is with a strong run game and a ridiculously great defense...

I mean tell me how come the rest of the league doesn't think like you many quarterbacks who just got a big bag don't win in the playoffs either, many dont get there ie Herbert/Murray and others to name few..... ironic huh? :facepalm: :popcorn:

CowboysRule

Reaction score
No way Jerry and Co don't F up the whole negotiation with Dak.
The only way they **** up is if they actually negotiate with him. Don't offer him anything. Let him go to another franchise, continue inflating his stats against bad teams and look like a deer in headlights anytime he plays a team worth anything.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Except the team has $107 million of dead cap in 2024-26.

And it’s all because of Dak.

Fans wonder why we can’t sign UFAs.

Why would they add more $$$ to that mess?

Especially when they have Lance.
Where do you get those figures? The Cowboys will have about $25 million of dead money if they move on from Dak next year. And with the cap going up every year that hit is less than it looks. In fact they have upwards of $100 million of AVAILABLE cap space in 2025 even factoring in this dead cash.

The Cowboys could have re-signed Dak and Lamb earlier and had well over $30 million of spending money in free agency to add UFAs. They CHOSE not to do so, then cried "salary cap" as the reason they didn't sign anybody.

They want fans to believe it's all about Dak and the cap because they don't have a plan as to what they are doing. The typical fan will look at Dak's cap hit and blame him for the free agent inactivity, when in fact it's only a half-truth.

The Jones boys created this. Don't fall for their schtick.