News: PFT: Trevor Lawrence contract doesn't change things for Dak Prescott

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What most of you guys keep forgetting is that Jerry cannot just decide today I’ll resign Dak Prescott.
If you were Dak’s agent, barring Dak ignoring your advice, you would never let Dak sign a contract at this point. There is absolutely no positive side to signing right now. Dak will be a free agent. That doesn’t mean he wants to leave, but being a free agent means Jerry has to at least come close to matching the best offer Dak receives from any team. By even allowing Dak to play last season without a new extension, Jerry has invited Dak to test the market and find out what he’s worth, whether he intended that or not. Jerry could offer Dak 60 million per year, and as his agent, I would say, “Look, unless you just want this over with and to stay in Dallas, play out your 50+ million this year and let the free agent market set your value.“
Are you forgetting the possibility of a season ending injury? I believe there is a strong reason for Dak wanting an executed contract.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
What most of you guys keep forgetting is that Jerry cannot just decide today I’ll resign Dak Prescott.
If you were Dak’s agent, barring Dak ignoring your advice, you would never let Dak sign a contract at this point. There is absolutely no positive side to signing right now. Dak will be a free agent. That doesn’t mean he wants to leave, but being a free agent means Jerry has to at least come close to matching the best offer Dak receives from any team. By even allowing Dak to play last season without a new extension, Jerry has invited Dak to test the market and find out what he’s worth, whether he intended that or not. Jerry could offer Dak 60 million per year, and as his agent, I would say, “Look, unless you just want this over with and to stay in Dallas, play out your 50+ million this year and let the free agent market set your value.“
All they have to throw in is "highest in nfl history" and it snaps on it!!!!! Story over (hopefully it doesn't happen this way though), I agree I wouldnt allow him to do it either. He plays well at least, he's going to get 60+ million, BUT if he doesn't, does that lower his value?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Fact check:

Romo’s first extension was in 2007.

“The new deal, worth a reported $67.5 million, makes Romo one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the NFL.”

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2007/10/30/Romo-given-six-year-contract-extension/92781193770807/
I’m not sure what the argument here is, but Jerry didn’t get “burned” by Romo (or his agent). He clearly wanted Romo as his QB after the 2007 season which was his second year of starting coming off a 13-3 season despite the disappointing playoff loss . When Romo was up for his second contract, he was still in his prime and proved to be a top QB in the league and so JJ still wanted Romo then too. JJ and Romo never had any issues getting a contract done. You never heard JJ say “we only go as far as Romo will take us” after playoff losses or anything else that implied he was a big part of why they couldn’t advance.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Here’s another fan who blames the entirety of a teams failure on the QB not taking into consideration the players around him. It boggles me daily.
I'm explicitly saying that in order to win any QB needs good teammates around him. Unless you are Mahomes. In order to have those good teammates, you need salary space with the back ends of these QB deals prevent.

To put it clearly, I don't think that Dak is going to outperform Purdy or Stroud by the $50 to $60m worth of teammates that his salary is forcing his team to shed or not pursue. As such, SF and Houston will have a massive advantage until those QB cap hits get there.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm explicitly saying that in order to win any QB needs good teammates around him. Unless you are Mahomes. In order to have those good teammates, you need salary space with the back ends of these QB deals prevent.

To put it clearly, I don't think that Dak is going to outperform Purdy or Stroud by the $50 to $60m worth of teammates that his salary is forcing his team to shed or not pursue. As such, SF and Houston will have a massive advantage until those QB cap hits get there.
Of course. Any good QB on a rookie contract, that team is going to have the advantage.