PFW: The Way We Hear it... Reggie Nelson falling?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Way We Hear It — draft edition

Young Florida defenders should have stayed in school

By Nolan Nawrocki
April 19, 2007

Every year, there are talented players who surprisingly slide out of the first round or see their stock slip considerably, either because of team needs or questions surrounding the player.

We identified some who we thought could slip in last week’s mock draft, including Dwayne Jarrett, Marshawn Lynch and Jarvis Moss.

The way we hear it, another player in line for a potential freefall is Florida FS Reggie Nelson.

“He’s a very talented player,” one evaluator said. “I think he’s made nearly 20 visits (to NFL teams) now. Rarely do you see a player take so many trips. It tells you a couple things. One, there are questions about his intelligence.

Teams want to put him on the board and see if he understands it. Two, a lot of teams think they will have a chance to draft him and everyone might get at least one pass at him. The last player I remember who took so many visits was Shawntae Spencer, who did not go to the Combine.”

Today, Nelson reportedly is meeting with the Jets, who hold the 25th pick. Nelson, however, will struggle to handle a defensive system like the Jets that asks defenders to learn a new game plan every week, and he will not be drafted by a team that uses a complex scheme. Given that teams expect their free safety to make coverage calls and line up the defense, there is a good chance that Nelson will not only be the fourth safety drafted, behind LaRon Landry, Michael Griffin and Brandon Meriweather, but that he will fall to the second round.

Intelligence issues in large part pushed Ko Simpson to the fourth round a year ago. It did not stop him from starting all but one game as a rookie in the Bills’ relatively simple scheme. It should be noted that Brian Dawkins, still one of the top safeties in the game today, entered the league with some similar questions. Nelson will likely have to go to team such as the Eagles, Bears or Colts that does not ask him to do a lot but play the deep middle. He is naturally instinctive but if he is not brought along slowly and is asked to do too much, he could struggle, and as a result, his value is diminishing in the eyes of evaluators.

With Nelson and fellow Gator Moss both positioned to potentially slip in the draft, underclassmen should take note. Team success does not necessarily equate to individual success. Two other Florida juniors who declared early for the draft — LB Brandon Siler and CB Ryan Smith — also likely will not be drafted on the first day.

Said one team, "I would not draft Siler. He is stiff, stiff, stiff. It's almost embarassing how good he thinks he is and how far off from reality he is. I felt bad for him that he left school. He does not have any idea."

Although Siler worked out well at the Combine and has size, production and a vocal on-field presence, he has a bad body, plays too straight-legged and straight-linish and his inflated opinion of himself has turned off NFL coaches. Many scouts graded him as a late-round talent, as they also did with Florida CB Ryan Smith.

As a result, do not be surprised if Florida underclassmen are taught a lesson like USC juniors were a year ago. Of the five juniors who declared early for the draft, including Reggie Bush, Winston Justice, LenDale White, Darnell Bing and Fred Matua, only Bush fit into the first round. The lesson to be learned is that players most often would benefit from returning to school.

separator_line_grey.gif

LINK

carphalen5150

Reaction score
I really do not understand how Nelson is falling so much. If we had not signed Hamlin he would be my top choice at 22. Not sure if these guys did not see the game tape or what, but every time the Fla defense was making a big play he seemed to be a part of it. I also think he can transition to CB on the next level, which just adds to his value.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I wonder how much of this is teams not wanting to show their hands until draft day and starting to down play these prospects. I find it hard to believe that all these players are falling in the draft. Some one is not being truthful out there. :laugh1:

Ashwynn

Reaction score
carphalen5150;1461412 said:
I really do not understand how Nelson is falling so much. If we had not signed Hamlin he would be my top choice at 22. Not sure if these guys did not see the game tape or what, but every time the Fla defense was making a big play he seemed to be a part of it. I also think he can transition to CB on the next level, which just adds to his value.

I dont understand how the offseason can drop your stock unless you go to jail or get shot while being at a strip club at 3 am.

Is he injured or what caused the drop. He was the one I wanted till we signed Hamlin, Would still love him, but I think the seconday has had enough help added to it to allow us to address bigger concerns like finding a WR to replace el dorado or a NT.

if he drops, do we take him at 22?

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
The best option is trade Julius Jones a next year 3rd round for a early second round draft choice, like to Cleveland Browns.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;1461470 said:
The best option is trade Julius Jones a next year 3rd round for a early second round draft choice, like to Cleveland Browns.

I dont believe thats the best option, it is an option, but I would not call it the best.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jobberone;1461406 said:
Stinging. How truthful is it regarding Nelson?

its in almost every draft guide as well...says he isnt the brightest bulb on the tree and would have to play in a very simplified scheme to be effective

David

burmafrd

Reaction score
We need a QB in the secondary. Nelson does not have what we need. If Roy was the QB, and Nelson just had to play centerfield - that would be fine. BUt that is not the case.

sago1

Reaction score
The article makes a lot of sense to me but then I raised the same point yesterday. Some of you think drafting Nelson in first round is a great addition, but it's not if you unable to make the correct defensive calls and the other players are not in position to get the job done. It was all Watkins could do to get himself in the right position--forget the other players--and Watkins is a very smart kid unlike some rumblings re Nelson. I don't knowhow complex Phillips defense is but I do know he made a comment a while back about the importance of the FS the Chargers had who could make the right defensive calls. At Hamlin's PC Phillips stressed the importance of having a smart and vet FS who can be relied upon to make the correct calls. In fact Hamlin supposed while in Seattle requried his defensive teammates to get together weekly and study the game film so they'd be aware of what the other team tendencies were. All the talent in the world can't help if Nelson is a bad fit at FS for us.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
dbair1967;1461485 said:
its in almost every draft guide as well...says he isnt the brightest bulb on the tree and would have to play in a very simplified scheme to be effective

David

I've read it but why all of a sudden is it dropping his stock. He's been first round for awhile. I think this is draft posturing. I hate to think people would be low enough to drag people down. I'm not naive enough to think it doesn't happen. I'd bet huge money it does. But just a few spots means a lot of money to these kids.

Iago33

Reaction score
jobberone;1461520 said:
I've read it but why all of a sudden is it dropping his stock. He's been first round for awhile. I think this is draft posturing. I hate to think people would be low enough to drag people down. I'm not naive enough to think it doesn't happen. I'd bet huge money it does. But just a few spots means a lot of money to these kids.

He's been first round in the mocks, not necessarily according to NFL boards. This idea of "falling" is a bit silly because no one is really slotted until they've finished their research. They may have some ideas, but you can't say the guy was top 10 on real NFL boards a few months ago because they didn't have "boards" yet.

superpunk

Reaction score
Anyone remember seeing mocks from last year with guys like Greg Blue, Pat Watkins, etc. in the first? Gabe Watson? Mock drafts are worthless, and fun. :)

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;1461470 said:

Yeah, we all know JJ is a terrible DB...

I think if we trade JJ I will win the powerball, its our best option.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
superpunk;1461546 said:
Anyone remember seeing mocks from last year with guys like Greg Blue, Pat Watkins, etc. in the first? Gabe Watson? Mock drafts are worthless, and fun. :)

You would mention Gabe Watson.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Gosslein said the same thing yesterday, that Nelson was falling and could well be there when we pick.

But his lack of intelligence has been a red flag from the very start, IMO. Do we really want a guy like this when our other first round safety has proven he can't get guys lined up adequately?

Angus

Reaction score
jobberone;1461520 said:

Perhaps, because now it is getting serious. Maybe teams do not want their fans complaining that they passed a seemingly good (but actually poor) prospect, so, when a hyped prospect might fall to them who they will not want, they get the bad tasting information out there before the draft to damp the fans' misplaced enthusiasm.

:eek:

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
sago1;1461517 said:
The article makes a lot of sense to me but then I raised the same point yesterday. Some of you think drafting Nelson in first round is a great addition, but it's not if you unable to make the correct defensive calls and the other players are not in position to get the job done.

I'm not real keen on adding a dumb safety. The starting SS has already shown he needs someone next to him making the calls. The team certainly stressed that during the Hamlin signing.