PFW: The Way We Hear it... Reggie Nelson falling?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I'd still be happy if we picked him...I dont think its a critical need, but I do think Nelson would start at FS and be an upgrade...

if we stay at 22 I like Meacham, Bowe, Revis and Nelson, if any of them are available...I kinda think Revis and Meacham will be gone, but Nelson and Bowe might be there

David

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Even if we assume Nelson can handle the job, I'm opposed to drafting another FS this year. I think Pat Watkins is going to be excellent and he may not even start this year. But long term he could be the guy. Why give up on him so soon? If you spend a 1st round pick on someone he has to play so that leaves Watkins out. Better to invest in an area we know will be a need soon like WR or OL or DE/OLB.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
burmafrd;1462430 said:
By the way Clove, Nelson is supposed to play IN PLACE OF WATKINS.
My point exactly.. We have a guy back there that I think is good, and will get better. But my point means nothing, and it seems like the majority is looking for an upgrade, and who's to say he will be?

I like Watkins and I'm pulling for him..

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=30&a=87

Quotes from New Era Scouting:

Character:Mature young man whose mother lost her battle with cancer in December 2006. Has fathered two children, one who lives in Florida and another who lives in Kansas.

Competitive Nature/Leadership Ability:An intimidating defender with a headhunter mentality. A high-energy, emotional leader on the field.

Football Intelligence:A great student of the game who clearly understands offensive fronts. Outstanding at reading quarterbacks and recognizing the run. Somewhat less than a proficient student and struggled to get into the University of Florida. May need extra reps to learn a complicated playbook.

(Translation: A Smart leader on the football field but probably not so smart in Algebra and Chemistry)

Work Ethic:Recognized as a vocal and energetic presence in the weight room. Showed great determination getting his Associates degree so he could play at Florida.

Agility:A quick-twitch athlete with loose hips and quick feet. Excellent all-around change-of-direction skills.

Ball Skills:His ball skills are absolutely tops among defensive backs. Has the leaping ability and natural hands to create interceptions. Reads and reacts quickly to passes in flight.

Instincts/Recognition:An extremely instinctive defender with great recognition skills. Has outstanding all-around field awareness. Is always around the ball. The very definition of a playmaker. Solid at seeing run plays develop and attacking the proper gap.

Zone Coverage:Dominated Southeastern Conference offenses from his deep zone position. Frequently played in cover-1 and cover-3 type situations. His field vision and closing burst make him a turnover machine. Maintains good depth and has the speed to get sideline-to-sideline from the middle of the field. Demonstrates the ability to play two deep. Intimidating collision hitter over the middle of the field.

General Comments:

Arguably the finest SEC defender in 2006, Reggie Nelson's playmaking ability in the deep middle of the field catapulted Florida's defense to a championship level. Although he is a limited run defender, Nelson's combination of instincts, athletic ability and production make him a viable first round free safety prospect. However, for those same reasons, his greatest value in the NFL might be as a cornerback. While he is going to have to progress as run defender, Nelson can make an immediate impact on defense as a pass defender, playing free safety and defending the slot receiver.

Teams Interested:
Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans
Reminds You of:
Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
DLCassidy;1462478 said:
Even if we assume Nelson can handle the job, I'm opposed to drafting another FS this year. I think Pat Watkins is going to be excellent and he may not even start this year. But long term he could be the guy. Why give up on him so soon? If you spend a 1st round pick on someone he has to play so that leaves Watkins out. Better to invest in an area we know will be a need soon like WR or OL or DE/OLB.

Why give up on Cory Proctor, Sam Hurd, Pat McQuinstan or Miles Austin so soon?

Pat Watkins hasn't proven to me that he's in a higher tier than those players. He's day 2 draft pick who struggled mightily last year and arguably cost us two games with his poor play.

superpunk

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1462521 said:
db_tall_man_akimbo8.jpg

Do you really need to ask?

dstew60105

Reaction score
jdub2k4;1462510 said:
http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=30&a=87

Quotes from New Era Scouting:

Character:Mature young man whose mother lost her battle with cancer in December 2006. Has fathered two children, one who lives in Florida and another who lives in Kansas.

Competitive Nature/Leadership Ability:An intimidating defender with a headhunter mentality. A high-energy, emotional leader on the field.

Football Intelligence:A great student of the game who clearly understands offensive fronts. Outstanding at reading quarterbacks and recognizing the run. Somewhat less than a proficient student and struggled to get into the University of Florida. May need extra reps to learn a complicated playbook.

(Translation: A Smart leader on the football field but probably not so smart in Algebra and Chemistry)

Work Ethic:Recognized as a vocal and energetic presence in the weight room. Showed great determination getting his Associates degree so he could play at Florida.

Agility:A quick-twitch athlete with loose hips and quick feet. Excellent all-around change-of-direction skills.

Ball Skills:His ball skills are absolutely tops among defensive backs. Has the leaping ability and natural hands to create interceptions. Reads and reacts quickly to passes in flight.

Instincts/Recognition:An extremely instinctive defender with great recognition skills. Has outstanding all-around field awareness. Is always around the ball. The very definition of a playmaker. Solid at seeing run plays develop and attacking the proper gap.

Zone Coverage:Dominated Southeastern Conference offenses from his deep zone position. Frequently played in cover-1 and cover-3 type situations. His field vision and closing burst make him a turnover machine. Maintains good depth and has the speed to get sideline-to-sideline from the middle of the field. Demonstrates the ability to play two deep. Intimidating collision hitter over the middle of the field.

General Comments:

Arguably the finest SEC defender in 2006, Reggie Nelson's playmaking ability in the deep middle of the field catapulted Florida's defense to a championship level. Although he is a limited run defender, Nelson's combination of instincts, athletic ability and production make him a viable first round free safety prospect. However, for those same reasons, his greatest value in the NFL might be as a cornerback. While he is going to have to progress as run defender, Nelson can make an immediate impact on defense as a pass defender, playing free safety and defending the slot receiver.

Teams Interested:
Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans
Reminds You of:
Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens

This is basically what every other site says. He has the football smarts to be a great FS in this league. Others on this board want to look at his grades and wonderlick test to measure his talent. Big mistake. Like someone else has pointed out, Vince Young also came in with this hanging over his head and the only thing he did was win NFL rookie of the year.

dstew60105

Reaction score
burmafrd;1462430 said:
You can harp all you want- but each one of these questions his smarts. And this has come from the big boys as well as the small time guys. Show me someone even like Kiper or Mayock or any of those guys saying something different. You can squawk all you want about Watching Him Play. My point is that I do not think, from all that I have read from a lot of sources, that he can be the secondary QB we need. You don't want to admit that- fine. I could care less. But unless you got someone saying yes he can run the secondary as the leader....
By the way Clove, Nelson is supposed to play IN PLACE OF WATKINS.

You are only reading what you want to see. Try reading the rest of all the reports that you posted. Most of them say that Nelson has the potential to be a great DB and would be a good selection for us @ #22.

superpunk

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1462531 said:
I still say Manute is the sleeper FS of the draft.

Let's say you were in the draft chat last year. The second round pick comes up. "Pat Watkins!" you say. All the mock drafts had him there.

We pick some stupid TE.

Round 3 - "PAT WATKINS!"

We pick some unheard of DE.

Round 4 - "PAT WATKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

We pick some kick returner.

Round 5, finally we take Mr. Watkins. He's only been passed over at this point 150 times. Wouldn't you feel a strong attraction? Not only were we smarter than the other 31 teams, in waiting 5 rounds for him, but he's tall.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1462521 said:

Pat Watkins hasn't proven to me that he's in a higher tier than those players. He's day 2 draft pick who struggled mightily last year and arguably cost us two games with his poor play.

That's why we signed Hamlin as insurance in case he can't move forward. I would rather give him another year to show he's starter material before we pull the plug.

In the case of WR the age of our starters and the combustibility of TO make getting a potential # 1 receiver a priority. Saying Hurd and Austin are not #1 receivers is not the same as giving up on them. That's why Ginn makes sense at 22 if he's there.

On the OL, unlike FS where we signed a proven vet, we have no contingency plan if FA leaves. It's a lot more common to find a starting FS in the 5th round than it is to find a starting LT in the 7th. So a pick of Staley at 22 also makes sense to me.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
superpunk;1462535 said:
Let's say you were in the draft chat last year. The second round pick comes up. "Pat Watkins!" you say. All the mock drafts had him there.

We pick some stupid TE.

Round 3 - "PAT WATKINS!"

Round 5, finally we take Mr. Watkins. He's only been passed over at this point 150 times. Wouldn't you feel a strong attraction? Not only were we smarter than the other 31 teams, in waiting 5 rounds for him, but he's tall.

I'm not one to talk. I washed my car using my Kai Parham jersey last weekend.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
superpunk;1462535 said:

We pick some stupid TE.

Round 3 - "PAT WATKINS!"

I for one, was screaming for Ko Simpson in every round, who eventually went to the Bills in the 4th Round, and ended up having 77 tackles 2 Ints, and 1 sack last season. We probably wouldn't even be having this conversation if we drafted him. But nooooo we had to have Fasano in round 2 and Hatcher in round 3. I believe he was gone by the time our pick came in the 4th round, but we should have jumped when we had the opportunity. I mean, he was only being compared to our very own coveted safety, Darren Woodson.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;1462531 said:
I still say Manute is the sleeper FS of the draft.

manutebol.jpg

:laugh2: Gotta love the banana suit.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk;1462535 said:

We pick some stupid TE.

Round 3 - "PAT WATKINS!"

Dang that is a pretty accurate and impressive recap of last years draft talk in the chat room or the board.

I remember it was similar with Witten, although of course he did not fall as far.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1462642 said:
. . . what Nelson's Wonderlic score was? :confused:

Supposedly he put up a 12.

Wade did emphasize Hamlin being smart enough to line everyone up properly, but hey, maybe Nelson can learn to do it.

I do know that everyone said a few months ago that Nelson was a top-10 player, and now it's probably 50-50 that he'll be there when we pick. That can only be good news for us.

BPA... If he's really that good, lets do it. I'd want him to be that much of a game-changer, though, because I still think safety shouldn't be a first round position unless the player is REALLY special.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I wondered last year why Ko Simpson fell so much, and we didnt take him. I dont think Nelson falls that far though. I am not in the camp that believes we need to draft a safety at all.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
superpunk;1462384 said:
There's pretty much no way we're going to pick a player that disappoints me. When you have this many options, it doesn't really matter.

Except for receivers out of the PAC 10. I'm way against that.
and why?

superpunk

Reaction score
dogunwo;1462795 said:

I'm racist against the west coast.

But seriously, when you look down the best receivers in the NFL, even look down the ones who are just serviceable - there are precious few out of the PAC 10. Of the top 40 in yardage last year, 2 were from the PAC 10. And they both came from Oregon State. And they both play for the Begnals.

Noone else has had much luck with any WR from the PAC 10. They get these tall physical guys who beat up on pathetic pass defenses, and that just doesn't translate. It's not 100%, but I doubt that changes for Smith and Jarrett.