PFW: The Way We Hear it... Reggie Nelson falling?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
burmafrd;1462214 said:
Got a source for that, Iman?

Yes, there are multiple sources out there on the internet that shows that Reggie Nelson was the free safety for the Florida Gators, and the Florida Gators won the National Championship.

You should look into this new website called Google.com.

burmafrd

Reaction score
You SAID he was the QUARTERBACK for the Defense. Got a source for THAT?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
burmafrd;1462291 said:
You SAID he was the QUARTERBACK for the Defense. Got a source for THAT?

Its typically always the free safety who lines up the secondary because he has the best vantage point, espeically if he plays centerfield ... as Reggie Nelson did frequently.

Got a source that he wasn't?

burmafrd

Reaction score
I say he wasn't due to all the stories circulating around- and some of them from his own coaches. So prove me wrong.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1462229 said:
Yes, there are multiple sources out there on the internet that shows that Reggie Nelson was the free safety for the Florida Gators, and the Florida Gators won the National Championship.

You should look into this new website called Google.com.

LOL :bow:

It is funny how quickly some judge and condemn a guy based on the opinions of someone trying to write articles intended to stir up controversy and rumors for their own self-promotion. How about actually watching the kid play? I am a big fan of the SEC and this guy was a terror on defense in arguably the best conference in the NCAA and a leader on a team that won the national championship. Vince Young had poor wonderlic scores. That didn't prevent him from becoming rookie of the year as a QB and surpassing those that thought he was to "dumb" to play QB in the NFL, despite leading the Longhorns to the National Championship.

superpunk

Reaction score
kffl said:
Whenever a team wins the National Championship like the Gators did, scouts look for the team leaders. Even though it was his second year with Florida, Nelson was part of the team's leadership committee and was definitely a locker room presence. He was a crucial part of the team last season, and Florida head coach Urban Meyer even stated that Nelson was the key to the defense.

after his mother's death, Meyer had this to say

“He is doing great,” coach Urban Meyer said. “I am concerned about it, but Reggie Nelson is not a good football player. He is one of the best football players I have ever been around, not just defensive backs. And I expect that he has practiced very well. Will focus be an issue? Of course it will. But I think he is that good of a player. He prepares himself very well for games.”

Where are the negatives his coaches are spouting? I've never heard this, although I see it being recited.

burmafrd

Reaction score
My problem is not his physical ability which is obviously great. My problem is that from all appearences he can not QB the secondary which is what we need. Show that he was controling the secondary, making defensive calls, etc.

superpunk

Reaction score
burmafrd;1462319 said:
My problem is that from all appearences he can not QB the secondary which is what we need.

According to what? I've not seen this information.

superpunk

Reaction score
burmafrd;1462343 said:

Fair enough.

Would you acknowledge that half the time these guys are just hacks, and are regurgitating each others work? They see a low wonderlic and JuCo transfer and suddenly it's "This guy's dumb as a rock."

IR's right - Nelson made that championship defense tick. I'd love a guy like that on this team.

In addition, for Wade's defense, I'm almost positive the NT acts as the QB of the defense, and makes the calls. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Gaede

Reaction score
I could care less if Nelson's stupid.

As long as he knows how to play football, then he's got a place on my team.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Yep, Urban Meyer was really, really down on Reggie Nelson...

"Reggie Nelson probably played the best football game I've seen a defensive player play," says Meyer, who isn't prone to overstatement. Nelson caused two interceptions and blocked a punt.

"Reggie is the best safety in college football," says Meyer, adding he would pick Nelson No. 1 if he were drafting a college team.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2006-10-11-gators-defense-cover_x.htm

I say he wasn't due to all the stories circulating around- and some of them from his own coaches. So prove me wrong.

How about you become more worried about proving yourself right. So far your documentation has been a bunch of free internet draft bios, and the comments about his coaches appears to be completely made up.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
superpunk;1462354 said:
Fair enough.

Would you acknowledge that half the time these guys are just hacks, and are regurgitating each others work? They see a low wonderlic and JuCo transfer and suddenly it's "This guy's dumb as a rock."

IR's right - Nelson made that championship defense tick. I'd love a guy like that on this team.

In addition, for Wade's defense, I'm almost positive the NT acts as the QB of the defense, and makes the calls. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

I suspect this is a case of perpetuated GIGO. Nelson can play. This kid hits like RW and can cover. There are some good players who will be around at 22. There is going to be an outcry when Dallas passes up some fans pet player.

dstew60105

Reaction score
burmafrd;1462343 said:

Instead of counting on free internet sites, may I suggest you actually watch him play. This kid was the best player on a defense that embarrassed OSU in the BCS championship game. He's a ballhawk who would look great with a star on his helmet. Granted as an alum, I'm biased, but I've seen every game that's he's played as a Gator. He was the Michael Irvin of that defense. He got that defense going. He just has a way about him that people respond too. He's a winner.

superpunk

Reaction score
jobberone;1462372 said:
I suspect this is a case of perpetuated GIGO. Nelson can play. This kid hits like RW and can cover. There are some good players who will be around at 22. There is going to be an outcry when Dallas passes up some fans pet player.
There's pretty much no way we're going to pick a player that disappoints me. When you have this many options, it doesn't really matter.

Except for receivers out of the PAC 10. I'm way against that.

dstew60105

Reaction score
burmafrd;1462386 said:

Overall: Nelson decided against returning to Florida for his senior season, opting instead to strike while the proverbial iron was hot after Florida's BCS Championship season in 2006. His stock really had nowhere to go but down after a six-interception junior season that earned him nominations for the Nagurski and Thorpe awards. Nelson would probably benefit from a season of spot duty in nickel and dime packages before becoming a full-time NFL starter, but his long-term potential is as great as any defensive back in the 2007 class.

Your own quotes are working against you. Again, I suggest that you ACTUALLY watch him play.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Yes folks, just register a domain for $4.95, learn some basic HTML and you too can become an expert NFL talent evaluator.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If we're raving about his intelligence, don't forget we still have a pretty smart guy in Watkins back there.

burmafrd

Reaction score
You can harp all you want- but each one of these questions his smarts. And this has come from the big boys as well as the small time guys. Show me someone even like Kiper or Mayock or any of those guys saying something different. You can squawk all you want about Watching Him Play. My point is that I do not think, from all that I have read from a lot of sources, that he can be the secondary QB we need. You don't want to admit that- fine. I could care less. But unless you got someone saying yes he can run the secondary as the leader....
By the way Clove, Nelson is supposed to play IN PLACE OF WATKINS.