PFW: Three of the Top 10 Draft Picks Admit to Smoking Marijuana

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
You think smoking weed is bad...try shooting that stuff up! Damn seeds always get stuck in the needle..!!

:cool:

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
It's official. It is now 4 out of the top ten players have admitted to smoke MJ. Oh...wait...I'm not a top 10 player..........(sigh) I gotta get off this stuff.
;)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;1461138 said:
Part of my post bolded for emphasis.

And in no way does it say others SHOULD.

Now unless we are seeing this at two different angles.

I am seeing it as you saying that he is saying it is ok and others should smoke weed.

You are seeing it as since he thinks it is ok that others smoke it than you and others should think it is ok if they smoke it.

If that is the case than we just got our wires crossed.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1461155 said:
And in no way does it say others SHOULD.

Now unless we are seeing this at two different angles.

I am seeing it as you saying that he is saying it is ok and others should smoke weed.

You are seeing it as since he thinks it is ok that others smoke it than you and others should think it is ok if they smoke it.

If that is the case than we just got our wires crossed.
No, I am saying that I (me, the guy in my mirror) have an issue when people justify drug use, because they still use drugs. I am sorry if that is not clear.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;1461159 said:
No, I am saying that I (me, the guy in my mirror) have an issue when people justify drug use, because they still use drugs. I am sorry if that is not clear.

Oh...wow we are all over the map on this one...did I mention I was tired earlier.:laugh2:

So what if I was to say...I don't have a problem with someone smoking weed responsibly even though I do not smoke weed?

What if I was to say I don't have a problem with someone drinking responsibly even though I do not drink.

I am not saying I never have done either, because that would be a lie, but I do not do them now.

The problem as I see it that needs to be asked with these players is.

Was it just a one time thing, was it something that you just did a few times or was it something that you feel the need to continue to do on a regular basis.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
masomenos85;1460264 said:
I know where I am that a fine for underage drinking and a fine for minor (as in small) possession of marijuana is pretty close, within 15 dollars I believe. I mean, speeding tickets and jay walking often cost the same or more than a minor possession charge. As far as the league testing for it, I have mixed feelings. It's certainly not a performance enhancing drug, but other companies are allowed to do random drug testing for controlled substances so I can't say that it's not ok for the NFL to do. Also, I don't think that the NBA started testing for marijuana until 2000 or 2001 and I wonder why they would change the policy after so long (I'm guessing pressure from an outside source like the government).

Anyways, if a player tests positive at the combine I think it's a bigger deal than a player saying "I've done it in the past." Testing positive at the combine would show that the player can't put the pipe down long enough to focus on preparing for the draft and for me that would raise concerns. However, if a player says that they've smoked before, maybe in high school or in the offseason then I'm not going to look at it as a very big issue. I think the honesty factor is something I'd be more keen on noting as it shows a certain degree of integrity.

Well with Meth being such a concern and small amounts of Marijuana for personal use not, it basically shows that the stuff is essentially decriminalized. MIP of alcohol or Marijuana is $250 where I'm at, but usually it gets reduced to about $100 with an option to take a class to remove it from the record.

I also agree that a player admitting to smoking shouyld be no big deal, in fact they should be commended on their honesty. Seeing a player fail the test at the combine would probably raise some concerns with people.

Hoov

Reaction score
I just was talking to a friend of mine who does plumbing work for me. He's in AA right now and NA.

He told me some intesting stuff......the biggest drugs in use right now according to some sources are heroin, meth, etoh and coke/crack....and MJ use is a lot less these days. he also told me that there is some type of device or gun that does an eye test and can determine if you have smoked pot in the past 1 to 2 years.

I have a friend that wont smoke pot because its too easy to test for at his job but he'll do lines of coke because its out of your system so fast.

On a positive note, i got a call from an old friend of mine last night who had some serious problems with heroin and he's just out of rehab and clean for a month now, i didnt think he was going to make it too much longer the way he was going but he's on some antidepressant meds and his whole demeanor is so much healthier.

I guess my point is that these days MJ use doesnt seem to be such the party drug as when i was growing up.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoov;1461293 said:
I just was talking to a friend of mine who does plumbing work for me. He's in AA right now and NA.

He told me some intesting stuff......the biggest drugs in use right now according to some sources are heroin, meth, etoh and coke/crack....and MJ use is a lot less these days. he also told me that there is some type of device or gun that does an eye test and can determine if you have smoked pot in the past 1 to 2 years.

I have a friend that wont smoke pot because its too easy to test for at his job but he'll do lines of coke because its out of your system so fast.

On a positive note, i got a call from an old friend of mine last night who had some serious problems with heroin and he's just out of rehab and clean for a month now, i didnt think he was going to make it too much longer the way he was going but he's on some antidepressant meds and his whole demeanor is so much healthier.

I guess my point is that these days MJ use doesnt seem to be such the party drug as when i was growing up.

Meth seems to be the big one now.

Geez when I was younger it was MJ around my neck of the woods.
I can step outside of my work and see Meigs County Ohio...at one time they were known far and wide for MJ.

We have had helicopters flying over work because they are looking for MJ crops and cops have gotten huge busts of MJ over the years.

However now it seems it is all meth labs. Living in a small rural area it really surprises me the number of people getting busted for meth labs around here. Heck just at the turn off of the road I live on some guys had a little bar and had a meth lab fire start in their basement.

Crazy stuff now days.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
NFL DRAFT-MARIJUANA

By Frank Cooney
The Sports Xchange/NFLDraftScout.com

National Football League team sources confirmed to The Sports Xchange that three of the top 10 prospects for this year's NFL Draft admitted use of marijuana, but it should have little or no impact on their draft ratings.

The players cited are Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson, Clemson defensive end Gaines Adams and Louisville defensive tackle Amobi Okoye. None of them tested positive for drugs in tests done by the NFL or in any of the random tests conducted in college by the NCAA.

According to ratings by NFLDraftScout.com, each player is the top prospect at his position. Johnson is ranked as the top player in the entire draft, Gaines is seventh and Okoye 10th.

The admissions came out as part of a standard interview conducted at the Indianapolis Scouting Combine in February. The interview, conducted by a group of representatives from several teams, was videotaped and copies are sent to every NFL team.

Team sources told TSX that they are more concerned that this confidential information was revealed than they are about the admissions themselves because this may compromise the willingness of players to be completely honest in future interviews.

"In context, these admissions were extremely honest responses of relatively minor, old events that should have little or no impact on how we perceive these young men at this point in their lives," one NFL team executive told TSX.

According to a player personnel director from another team, players are encouraged to be totally forthcoming on even the most minor events as they approach jobs worth millions of dollars. Ostensibly, such honesty would benefit the players and their future employers should such events come to light in the future.

Suddenly, the future is now after the admissions were revealed in a Wednesday report by Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki. Several scouts, coaches and team executives told TSX that it is important that everybody understand the total context of such details.

As an example, one scout related a story told by Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson, the top-rated running back in the draft and ranked fourth overall by NFLDraftScout.com.

According to the scout, when Peterson was asked about marijuana use he told of a time in the fifth grade when he took some marijuana, rolled in paper, to school in his pocket and walked around with it all day. Peterson said he took it home, got rid of it and never did smoke it.

"Taken out of context and written for dramatic effect, I'm sure somebody could make that into a big story," the scout said.

"You admire the kids' honesty, actually. Every team in the league has done their homework on these kids. These aren't some fringe prospects, you know. It is a lot more of a concern for guys who have failed tests, have rap sheets, or are being deceitful."

Among the more notable 2007 prospects with documented, drug related charges are Florida defensive tackle Marcus Thomas, UNLV cornerback Eric Wright and Texas cornerback Tarell Brown.

Another team official said that that public knowledge of the use of marijuana will have "little or no" impact on how the players are drafted, but he expects the subject to come up and is interested in how it will be discussed after the draft.

"You can obviously make what you want out of information such as this," said the team official, who then cited how teams address results of the Wonderlic Tests, which is supposed to quantify a player's basic intelligence.

"If a team doesn't like a player and that player gets a low test on the Wonderlic, the team says 'see, we told you he wasn't a good player.' But if they like a player and he scores low, then they just say, 'We never pay any attention to those tests anyway.'"

-- Rob Rang, Sr. Analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, contributed to this report.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1461311 said:
Alright...show of hands. Who here has not smoked pot?

Moi. I've never even seen drugs outside of a movie or tv show. God I'm sheltered.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1461311 said:
Alright...show of hands. Who here has not smoked pot?
I haven't. Might've gotten a contact from being around people while they did, though.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;1461352 said:
I haven't. Might've gotten a contact from being around people while they did, though.

Well you know if you hang around the wrong element it is just a matter of time before you become part of the wrong element.

RUN...RUN WG. :laugh2:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1461303 said:
Meth seems to be the big one now.

Geez when I was younger it was MJ around my neck of the woods.
I can step outside of my work and see Meigs County Ohio...at one time they were known far and wide for MJ.

We have had helicopters flying over work because they are looking for MJ crops and cops have gotten huge busts of MJ over the years.

However now it seems it is all meth labs. Living in a small rural area it really surprises me the number of people getting busted for meth labs around here. Heck just at the turn off of the road I live on some guys had a little bar and had a meth lab fire start in their basement.

Crazy stuff now days.

Yeah -- that's totally what I see living in Humboldt County, CA -- although marijuana is still what we are known for, there is a TON of meth all over.

However, I think it is unwise to believe that marijuana use has really gone down that much -- we are getting older and likely just don't hang out in the dope smoking crowds anymore. Here in CA also, medical marijuana laws cover a ton of growing -- lots of people aren't getting busted b/c they can grow small scale (99 plants) legally - so you don't see the busts as much.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt;1461357 said:
Well you know if you hang around the wrong element it is just a matter of time before you become part of the wrong element.

RUN...RUN WG. :laugh2:
Ha! Peer pressue never phased me.

smarta5150;1461359 said:
WG has some chill friends :)
*Had* :)

Current running buddies are on the straight and narrow.