Twitter: Phil Costa retires from NFL

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
If you can make the jump from Costa being a UDFA who was forced into action and didn't pan out to that being a symptom of Jerry's culture then you have an agenda. I don't see you as a person who is problematic in that area though.

Costa is what he was. I had a LB start next to me once who hadn't the slightest idea what to do and didn't. It wasn't because the coaches put him out there by mistake. They gave Costa time to rise to the occasion and when they felt that wasn't going to happen they drafted Fred; which a WHOLE LOT of people here complained about and even some still do.

Who used jerry or Garrett to make the argument that Costa was a quality starter? I must've missed that? I think the point was that Costa was quickly signed by another team and for some that was proof that the guy has SOME ability. He didn't get cut ( who knows if we would've made the final 53). But the ones who are looking at Costas Choice to RETIRE as some sort of vindication that they were right is what some have a problem with. Also wasn't it Garrett that publicly threw his QB under the bus last year to deflect criticism? I wouldn't go that far to say he wouldn't needle others in public.

http://dallas.sbnation.com/2011/8/14/2362640/jerry-jones-phil-costa

In that article from 2011, he wasn't being "forced into action", he was being outright pimped to cowboys nation from the FO (i.e. GM/owner). I don't give 2 craps that Jerry did that (though he shouldn't as Kraft, Nesome and others don't, but I dont care). I just choose not to believe what Im told until I see it myself

2011 preseason Costa flamed out on not from fan hype, but becasue they were told he was the answer.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
http://dallas.sbnation.com/2011/8/14/2362640/jerry-jones-phil-costa

In that article from 2011, he wasn't being "forced into action", he was being outright pimped to cowboys nation from the FO (i.e. GM/owner). I don't give 2 craps that Jerry did that (though he shouldn't as Kraft, Nesome and others don't, but I dont care). I just choose not to believe what Im told until I see it myself

2011 preseason Costa flamed out on not from fan hype, but becasue they were told he was the answer.

I take everything Jerry says with a grain of salt. I thought most here were talking about members touting Costa?? You may have the last word.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
The dislike button would foster more negativity. I'd say we can all agree that CZ doesn't need more of that.

In the beginning I didn't want a dislike button for the exact same reasons you stated. After seeing how many "likes" a poster gets for posting something stupid or negative, such as "Garret sucks". I think actually, a dislike button will cut down on the frivolous negative banter. I say do both, if not, eliminate them all together. I know we have to protect the really fragile for instance, Idgit, but I am willing to stand up for him and his contributions. It's sad how PC the world is becoming.

As far as Costa. I didn't read pages 3-12 but i think I know what was between the lines. Costa worked his arse off through college to make it to the NFL, he did in fact make it. He gave it his all and for whatever reason he came up short just like a thousand others. I just never understood why he was such a polarizing figure. His resume includes "played professional football for the Dallas Cowboys". Nobody on this board can claim that. He is what he is but that ain't so bad. I think he deserves a little respect.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the beginning I didn't want a dislike button for the exact same reasons you stated. After seeing how many "likes" a poster gets for posting something stupid or negative, such as "Garret sucks". I think actually, a dislike button will cut down on the frivolous negative banter. I say do both, if not, eliminate them all together. I know we have to protect the really fragile for instance, Idgit, but I am willing to stand up for him and his contributions. It's sad how PC the world is becoming.

As far as Costa. I didn't read pages 3-12 but i think I know what was between the lines. Costa worked his arse off through college to make it to the NFL, he did in fact make it. He gave it his all and for whatever reason he came up short just like a thousand others. I just never understood why he was such a polarizing figure. His resume includes "played professional football for the Dallas Cowboys". Nobody on this board can claim that. He is what he is but that ain't so bad. I think he deserves a little respect.

What I take from this post is that you do, in fact, like me.

Which is good, because I was about to resort to making Ben Bass jokes just to watch the love roll in.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
What I take from this post is that you do, in fact, like me.

Which is good, because I was about to resort to making Ben Bass jokes just to watch the love roll in.

I always appreciate your input and MOST of the time I agree. But never disagree enough to dislike. Some kind of emoticon goes here.

Honestly, I do appreciate your contribution to the board. I think it is in line with what the founding forefathers envisioned.

jnday

Reaction score
For me I just give likes here or there it doesn't matter who is posting. If I like what I read I give a like. No particular posters or favorites

To be honest, my phone display prevents me from knowing who the poster is unless I take the time to look. I like certain post due to contents and hit the like button. Sometimes I will take a second to see who the poster is after hitting the button, but many times I never know.

burmafrd

Reaction score
so you guys going to hold hands and sing kumbaya or just get a room?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
To be honest, my phone display prevents me from knowing who the poster is unless I take the time to look. I like certain post due to contents and hit the like button. Sometimes I will take a second to see who the poster is after hitting the button, but many times I never know.

Well, when you do notice that it is me posting, please take a second to hit the like button. I need all the help I can get if I am going to ever get to my goal of 1 million likes.