Twitter: Phil Costa retires from NFL

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All that talent........ What a waste

Unrelated to my point, but, yeah, I imagine the Colts weren't thrilled with their FA acquisition at a position of relative need retiring on short notice. Just by signing the contract, after the extension in Dallas, he vindicated that other teams actually did have interest in him as a potential starting player. Unfortunately, we're not going to get the chance now to see if he'd have won that job outright or just been a quality backup.

But my really point was that there must be something fairly significant going on in the guy's personal life for the abrupt retirement following the cancellation of the wedding. This is probably more serious than it looks on the surface for the guy. At least, that's my guess.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I almost passed out laughing.

A wise man once said a couple of years ago that he'd be out of the league soon.

Sheesh. Stretch, much? After the extension, and the Colt's contract, an abrupt unexplained retirement from the player's side is *not* any validation of anything you've ever said on the topic of Phil Costa.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Sheesh. Stretch, much? After the extension, and the Colt's contract, an abrupt unexplained retirement from the player's side is *not* any validation of anything you've ever said on the topic of Phil Costa.

He wants a pat on the back because he had a 50/50 chance at being right. If you give a mouse a cookie.

JustAGuy

Reaction score
Unrelated to my point, but, yeah, I imagine the Colts weren't thrilled with their FA acquisition at a position of relative need retiring on short notice. Just by signing the contract, after the extension in Dallas, he vindicated that other teams actually did have interest in him as a potential starting player. Unfortunately, we're not going to get the chance now to see if he'd have won that job outright or just been a quality backup.

But my really point was that there must be something fairly significant going on in the guy's personal life for the abrupt retirement following the cancellation of the wedding. This is probably more serious than it looks on the surface for the guy. At least, that's my guess.

It might be that the marriage cancellation might have really bummed him out and it was affecting his ability to concentrate on football. Perhaps that is why he decided to retire. Just speculation on my part, but if that is the reason he very well might un-retire in the near future is he starts feeling better.

burmafrd

Reaction score

to the very end trying to defend cowboys ineptitude on the O line. So a couple of coaches thought Costa was halfway decent.

Guess what- more than that thought Barbie Carpenter was decent. Even the best of coaches make mistakes. But not to Idgit; the coaches are always right

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He wants a pat on the back because he had a 50/50 chance at being right. If you give a mouse a cookie.

I know it stings to see me so accurate.

You might be able to do it too. You just have to put your rooting interests aside when you evaluate the players. Phil Costa was a semi-pro talent who had no business playing in this league.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
to the very end trying to defend cowboys ineptitude on the O line. So a couple of coaches thought Costa was halfway decent.

Guess what- more than that thought Barbie Carpenter was decent. Even the best of coaches make mistakes. But not to Idgit; the coaches are always right

I know it stings to see me so accurate.

You might be able to do it too. You just have to put your rooting interests aside when you evaluate the players. Phil Costa was a semi-pro talent who had no business playing in this league.

Give me a break RS you're not some football god who knows everything.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Except I was right at every turn, and you, dead wrong. Across the board. Good point though!

Primetime42

Reaction score
Came in the thead like:

THISGONBGUD.gif

It did not disappoint.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Agreed.

If Costa was released by the Cowboys and wasn't signed by another team... period, is one thing.

But being released by the Cowboys and almost immediately being resigned by another team for a two-year contact (while numerous other centers were still available) and then retires is something else all together.

Trying to claim "credit" for that is like trying to claim credit for the sun coming up tomorrow.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Agreed.

If Costa was released by the Cowboys and wasn't signed by another team... period, is one thing.

But being released by the Cowboys and almost immediately being resigned by another team for a two-year contact (while numerous other centers were still available) and then retires is something else all together.

Trying to claim "credit" for that is like trying to claim credit for the sun coming up tomorrow.

No!!! Don't steal my thunder!!! I predicted sunny skies and warm weather in SoCal tomorrow!

Doomsay

Reaction score
Costa's reduced salary may no longer have justified his risk of being outside and exposed to a catastrophic asteroid strike.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
No. I'm just not so clueless to not realize Phil Costa couldn't play.

There's a whole world between football God and those people.

Thank goodness we have you to show us the difference. Man I'm not sure where this board would be without your brilliance and god-like football knowledge.:rolleyes: