*Phoenix Suns*2008-2009 Thread

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Rampage;2610222 said:

well it's true....i got a good tongue lashing for some of the pics I posted....I am officially retired from posting pics in here...I am that guy that takes it not just to the edge, but over the edge and into the deep blue below.

Route 66

Reaction score
Biggems;2610225 said:
I feel bad for Suns fans.....I always thought DAntoni was a moron, but Porter takes the cake. Porter makes DAntoni seem like a Rhode's scholar. It is sad too, cause Porter was a great player and seems to be a good guy. He is just not ready to be a HC. He should have spent about a decade working up the ranks as an assistant to coaches like Pop, Phil, Larry, and Sloan.

That off the ball foul in the final 30 seconds displayed just how much Porter was outcoached. If he were a rookie coach, I would understand that goof. But he isn't a rookie coach. I also blame Nash for actually following through with the foul. However, I am guessing he was taking out frustration since on the previous play, he tripped over Amares foot and fumbled the ball away.

Well it was another fun game to watch. So far, the 3 most exciting games I have watched this year include the Spurs. The Spurs won all 3. Twice against the Suns and once against the Lakers.

GO SPURS GO

I wouldn't feel bad for Suns fans whose very life is altered by wins or losses. That's letting sports get in the way too much. I got up today and saw the score and thought, "how pathetic". ;)

DCgirl13

Reaction score
I agree Rowdy. I was upset for staying up to watch the rest of the game, but it doesn't affect me at all today because this game doesn't really matter as long as we make the playoffs.

We are going to the game tomorrow night vs. the Bulls, hopefully they can pull it together.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
DCgirl13;2610358 said:
I agree Rowdy. I was upset for staying up to watch the rest of the game, but it doesn't affect me at all today because this game doesn't really matter as long as we make the playoffs.

We are going to the game tomorrow night vs. the Bulls, hopefully they can pull it together.

BULLS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCgirl13

Reaction score
Vintage;2613611 said:
BULLS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boo... You would have thought we were at a Bulls game in Chicago. The fans were obnoxious and really annoying. There was even people wearing cubs and bears shirts. Wrong sport.

I'm glad the Suns whooped some behind last night. Even though it was the lowly Kings, they NEEDED a win!

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
DCgirl13;2618830 said:
Boo... You would have thought we were at a Bulls game in Chicago. The fans were obnoxious and really annoying. There was even people wearing cubs and bears shirts. Wrong sport.

I'm glad the Suns whooped some behind last night. Even though it was the lowly Kings, they NEEDED a win!

129-81 is a bit more than "whooped". Not too many times you see an NBA team win by almost 50 points.... except when it is the Kings, who lost to the Celtics earlier this year by 45.

I saw a speculative trade on a blog a few weeks ago, and wanted to see what you Suns fans think:

Dallas trades Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse
Phoenix trades Shaq and Matt Barnes

Dallas:
Pros: Finally add a scoring presence in the middle; Matt Barnes is a good role player who helps fill the gap left by Howard; Shaq off the books in critical 2010 season; can be competitive around Dirk, Kidd, and Shaq

Cons: Yet another trade that makes them older; Shaq is not working with Nash, why would this work with Kidd?

Summary: Mavs roll the dice for one last shot but are still in position for 2010 offseason/rebuild

Phoenix:
Pros: Opens Amar'e's offense again (and Nash's) with Howard playing the part of the departed Shawn Marion; makes them younger; immediately lowers their salary cap under the luxury tax threshold and reduces next year's team salary by $10M

Cons: Presents a hole at C; makes them more vulnerable to teams like San Antonio and a (healthy) Lakers squad with talented frontcourts

Summary: Phoenix aborts the "Shaquisition" and immediately gets younger, faster and saves the franchise lots of money

What say you?

MC KAos

Reaction score
Mavs Man;2620069 said:
129-81 is a bit more than "whooped". Not too many times you see an NBA team win by almost 50 points.... except when it is the Kings, who lost to the Celtics earlier this year by 45.

I saw a speculative trade on a blog a few weeks ago, and wanted to see what you Suns fans think:

Dallas trades Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse
Phoenix trades Shaq and Matt Barnes

Dallas:
Pros: Finally add a scoring presence in the middle; Matt Barnes is a good role player who helps fill the gap left by Howard; Shaq off the books in critical 2010 season; can be competitive around Dirk, Kidd, and Shaq

Cons: Yet another trade that makes them older; Shaq is not working with Nash, why would this work with Kidd?

Summary: Mavs roll the dice for one last shot but are still in position for 2010 offseason/rebuild

Phoenix:
Pros: Opens Amar'e's offense again (and Nash's) with Howard playing the part of the departed Shawn Marion; makes them younger; immediately lowers their salary cap under the luxury tax threshold and reduces next year's team salary by $10M

Cons: Presents a hole at C; makes them more vulnerable to teams like San Antonio and a (healthy) Lakers squad with talented frontcourts

Summary: Phoenix aborts the "Shaquisition" and immediately gets younger, faster and saves the franchise lots of money

What say you?

i think that would be a bad trade for the suns, they dont need two more head cases to add to amare

Route 66

Reaction score
Don't tell Sarver anything about saving money or he will sell more draft picks. Phoenix needs to start over and I'm not sure building around Amare' is a good idea. A lot of fans want him gone before the trade deadline. If the Suns played hard every night, I believe they could do some damage in the post-season. The problem is they have already had two recent closed-door meetings and Terry Porter is not wanted. This leads to a disaster if things don't change soon.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
MC KAos;2620163 said:
i think that would be a bad trade for the suns, they dont need two more head cases to add to amare

Well, they can release Stackhouse if they want, or buy him out. As for Howard... yeah.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Rowdy;2620220 said:
Don't tell Sarver anything about saving money or he will sell more draft picks. Phoenix needs to start over and I'm not sure building around Amare' is a good idea. A lot of fans want him gone before the trade deadline. If the Suns played hard every night, I believe they could do some damage in the post-season. The problem is they have already had two recent closed-door meetings and Terry Porter is not wanted. This leads to a disaster if things don't change soon.

I'd hate to see the Suns send Amar'e packing unless they received a good deal in return. You don't jetison your 26 y/o star to build around a 35 y/o PG and a 37 y/o C.

It would have been much better if they had kept Joe Johnson a few years ago and not shipped off 90% of the team and coach MDT.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Wow, thank god I had Stephen Jackson on my fantasy team.
Learn to play some gosh darn defense Phoenix.

GS was moving the ball and tossing up wide open 3 pointers all night.

Route 66

Reaction score
ajk23az;2622409 said:
Wow, thank god I had Stephen Jackson on my fantasy team.
Learn to play some gosh darn defense Phoenix.

GS was moving the ball and tossing up wide open 3 pointers all night.

They are the NBA's version of the Cowboys except for quite a bit less talent.

Route 66

Reaction score
Suns' Porter likely gone by Monday

The Arizona Republic

There are strong indications that the Suns will have a new head coach leading them at Monday's scheduled afternoon practice.

Although no final decision has been made, the apparent plan is for Suns management to fire Terry Porter - who in his first season has led the Suns to a 28-23 record and ninth place in the Western Conference standings - on Monday.

Because of financial concerns, the replacement probably would come from the staff. Lead assistant Alvin Gentry would be the likely successor, not General Manager Steve Kerr, as has been reported.

Gentry and assistant Bill Cartwright have previous head-coaching experience, but Gentry has been with Phoenix since 2004.

Porter has had two shots at his 100th career coaching victory, but the Suns lost both games by 17 points to finish a 6-10 stretch entering the All-Star break. Their past six losses have come by double digits.

He signed a three-year contract in June to be the Suns' coach, but the third year is not guaranteed. The Suns would eat about $2 million of Porter's salary by firing him. He was the only experienced head coach among the finalists for the job, which was vacated in the off-season by Mike D'Antoni.

The timing seems ideal for a new coach, with the Suns facing the Los Angeles Clippers (13-40) on Tuesday and Wednesday and Oklahoma City (13-40) on Friday.

There has been speculation that a big change would be coming in the form of a trade involving forward Amaré Stoudemire. Chicago, Houston and Cleveland have been considered the likely trading partners, but a deal with Portland for guard Jerryd Bayless, a first-round draft pick and Raef LaFrentz's expiring, insurance-protected contract has been considered.

Any trade also would not happen until Monday, as the NBA does not want the Suns to act during All-Star weekend in its city.

The Suns' decreasing faith in Porter recently became apparent when Managing Partner Robert Sarver and Kerr took unscheduled cross-country flights to Atlanta to hold meetings with players without Porter, a sign that they did not think the coach was reaching the players.

Porter got off to a bad start with many players during training camp, when his no-nonsense approach, basic drills and changes in philosophy ruffled some, especially veterans.

The players had asked for more of a defensive emphasis and accountability after last season's first-round playoff exit under D'Antoni. However, they did not buy in to Porter's program from the beginning. The team is loaded with subpar defensive players and has not improved in that area, and Kerr said that is his biggest disappointment this season.

Porter's attempt to put in a Detroit Pistons-type offense was abandoned after an 11-9 start. Porter allowed point guard Steve Nash to have more control of the ball and push the tempo more, although he still wanted center Shaquille O'Neal to regularly have post-up opportunities. Nash and teammates pitched their cases in public that the team was built to run, and they got their wishes.

The Suns won more in December, but Porter did not win their respect.

Guard Raja Bell resisted Porter's ways and forward Boris Diaw was unhappy with his new role. Their attitudes led to the Suns trading them Dec. 12 to Charlotte for guard Jason Richardson. The Suns won nine of their next 12 but lost twice late on defensive mix-ups.

Route 66

Reaction score
Alvin Gentry will take over Monday as the Suns' interim head coach with first-year coach Terry Porter being fired by then, multiple team sources confirmed Sunday.

Porter is being replaced by his lead assistant coach after the Suns went through a 6-10 stretch that put them at 28-23 before the All-Star break. In June, Porter had signed with Phoenix for a three-year contract, which sources said Sunday was guaranteed through the third season in contrast to previous reports. His annual salary was in the $2 million range.

Gentry, 54, joined the Suns as an assistant at the outset of the franchise's turnaround upon Steve Nash's arrival in 2004. He was the only coaching staff holder from the Mike D'Antoni staff and is expect to return the Suns' to their previous season's style, a change that had been underway since December.

This will be Gentry's third stint as an interim head coach and his fourth turn as a head coach in the NBA, where he has coached for 20 years. Gentry also was a midseason replacement for Kevin Loughery in Miami and Doug Collins in Detroit. Including Gentry's work as the Los Angeles Clippers' coach, he had an overall record of 177-226 but was coaching far less talented teams than this Suns one that is currently a ninth-place disappointment in the Western Conference.

DCgirl13

Reaction score
J-Rich was also arrested for doing 90 in a 35 with his kid in the back and the kid wasn't in a car seat. :bang2: This team really is cursed.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Steve Kerr is destroying what was once a very fun-to-watch and pretty decent team.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Danny White;2641208 said:
Steve Kerr is destroying what was once a very fun-to-watch and pretty decent team.

I agree. This is sad to watch.

You can toss blame Sarver's way, too.

Route 66

Reaction score
Suns rout Clippers in Gentry debut

The Arizona Republic

Tuesday night's Suns game seemed like a 2 1/2-hour loop of toothpaste and camera commercials. All smiles.

It was like the West All-Stars were still playing at US Airways Center, where the Suns routed the Los Angeles Clippers 140-100 in Alvin Gentry's Phoenix head-coaching debut.

Having the 13-41 Clippers as an opponent Tuesday and tonight might mess with reality, but the Suns rediscovered a lost identity. The Suns set an arena record for winning margin two weeks ago with a 48-point blowout of Sacramento, but it was not like Wednesday's party.

"Everyone felt like they could be themselves a little more out there and weren't afraid to make mistakes or play a little loose," Suns guard Steve Nash said.

With Gentry recommitting the Suns to their running ways of recent years, the Suns started the game with their highest-scoring quarter (41 points) and half (81) of the season.

"It's beginning to be a lot of fun out there, when we play a high-octane offense," Suns forward Amaré Stoudemire said.

Nash not only got the go-ahead to push the tempo, but he also got his driving lanes back with the sets spread again. Stoudemire did not take a jumper, getting inside repeatedly as the Suns racked up 33 fast-break points and 90 points in the paint, an NBA season high.

"We've tried to play this way," Gentry said. "We're just going to try to do it at more of a breakneck pace on a more consistent basis."

The only hit the Clippers could deliver was a dirty one. With the Suns leading 37-26 with 32.6 seconds to go in the first quarter, the Suns' Louis Amundson was tangling with the Clippers' Zach Randolph for rebounding position when Randolph swung his arm wide to swipe Amundson to the floor. Randolph moved over Amundson in a taunting fashion. As Amundson rose to stand in front of him, Randolph threw a left cross to Amundson's chin. Randolph was ejected.

"Zach's crazy," Suns forward Matt Barnes said of Randolph, who likely will receive a multiple-game suspension before the Suns play the Clippers in Los Angeles tonight.

Randolph said he hit Amundson with an open hand and that Amundson "hopped up and got in my face, almost kissed me in my mouth." After the ejection, the Suns blew open the game with a 13-5 run that began in the first quarter, when 10 Suns played in the rotation.

Suns report

Key player

Leandro Barbosa started for suspended Jason Richardson and scored 24 points. Phoenix is 26-5 in the past two seasons when the starting shooting guard scores 20 points.

Key moment

The Suns led 28-23 before scoring 18 points in the first quarter's final 4:05. Steve Nash scored or assisted the first 10 baskets before exiting.

Key number

81: The Suns' first-half point total tied a US Airways Center record.

View from press row

The pregame locker room was like a kids' birthday party. Four Suns carried Shaquille O'Neal with his body extended like Superman flying for lineup introductions. O'Neal finished an Alando Tucker alley-oop with his left hand before a timeout allowed eight Suns to race off the bench to celebrate. The fun in fun-and-gun is back.
Quotable

Forward Louis Amundson, on the Suns: "There's no pressure on us now. Nobody expects us to do anything. Everyone thinks we're in complete disarray, so we have a chance to surprise people."