Dorance Armstrong
Leighton Vander Esch
Keanu Neal
Cedrick Wilson Jr.
Carlos Watkins
Brent Urban
Damontae Kazee
Malik Hooker

You can only bring back 3, one in each tier, who are they?

Tier 1: Gallup, Gregory, Kearse (Pro-Bowl Potential)

Tier 2: Shultz, Wilson, Williams, Armstrong (Average Starters)

Tier 3: Hooker, Neal, Watkins, LVE, Kazee, Urban (Depth and Package Dependent Contributors/Fringe Starters)

Gregory (he is my #1 priority in the offseason)
Connor Williams (he is the new Kyle Kosier, much better then many realize)
Hooker (not in love with anyone in this tier)

I would like to just sign all the tier 1 players and allow the rest to depart. However, they will have to find ways to create more space. All likelihood, Gregory is the one they resign and the rest will come down to cost.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Gregory (he is my #1 priority in the offseason)
Connor Williams (he is the new Kyle Kosier, much better then many realize)
Hooker (not in love with anyone in this tier)

I would like to just sign all the tier 1 players and allow the rest to depart. However, they will have to find ways to create more space. All likelihood, Gregory is the one they resign and the rest will come down to cost.

Gregory is on everyone's list but the question no one asking is ......how much are you willing to pay? 2021 tag was $17.7M .......if you think he's worth that, he your's for another year. If not, he may price himself out of our range.

BTW....I would also make CW a priority

Creeper

Reaction score
I am taking Gregory in Tier 1. Armstrong or Wilson in Tier 2 and Hooker in Tier 3.

Neal's contract goes to2023 but 2022 and 2023 are voidable years. I assume he will be a free agent and will cost the Cowboys $2 million in dead money if they do not resign him. But in 2022, they will not need him because they have Cox coming back from injury. I think he will be better than Neal.

In reality, this is a long list of FAs and the Cowboys will be lucky to sign even 1 of them. Gregory is going to get a big offer from someone and so will Gallup.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Cowboys players who are free agents this offseason:

Randy Gregory
Michael Gallup
Dalton Schultz
Jayron Kearse
Connor Williams
Dorance Armstrong
Leighton Vander Esch
Keanu Neal
Cedrick Wilson Jr.
Carlos Watkins
Brent Urban
Damontae Kazee
Malik Hooker

Tier 3: Hooker, Neal, Watkins, LVE, Kazee, Urban (Depth and Package Dependent Contributors/Fringe Starters)
Gregory, Gallup,

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Gregory is on everyone's list but the question no one asking is ......how much are you willing to pay? 2021 tag was $17.7M .......if you think he's worth that, he your's for another year. If not, he may price himself out of our range.

BTW....I would also make CW a priority
I cannot see the Cowboys allowing Gregory to walk. They always prioritize the position and will do what it takes to keep him on the roster, even if they have to overpay to do so. Think DLaw's contract will be extended to spread his high number next yr to give them additional space.

As for Connor Williams, say he returns to the lineup and the run game shows improvement, think they would seriously have to consider bringing him back. In any event, drafting another G/C makes sense and it doesn't have to be in rd 1, either.

817Gill

Reaction score
I cannot see the Cowboys allowing Gregory to walk. They always prioritize the position and will do what it takes to keep him on the roster, even if they have to overpay to do so. Think DLaw's contract will be extended to spread his high number next yr to give them additional space.

As for Connor Williams, say he returns to the lineup and the run game shows improvement, think they would seriously have to consider bringing him back. In any event, drafting another G/C makes sense and it doesn't have to be in rd 1, either.
Appreciate your contributions!

Praxit

Reaction score
>>> Gregory, Kearse, Wilson, Watkins, Kazee, Armstrong>>> Everyone else is meh..

Gallup would be nice addition, but money will take him elsewhere.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Cowboys players who are free agents this offseason:

Randy Gregory
Michael Gallup
Dalton Schultz
Jayron Kearse
Connor Williams
Dorance Armstrong
Leighton Vander Esch
Keanu Neal
Cedrick Wilson Jr.
Carlos Watkins
Brent Urban
Damontae Kazee
Malik Hooker

since we are playing fantasy......

Gregory, Schultz, Gallup

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Kearse should be in tier 2 because it's only his first year as a starter and he plays a relatively lower paid position.

I would bring back Gregory at market value, make restructures to everyone expensive except Elliott (want to cut him next year), then bring back Kearse, Hooker, Watkins and/or Urban, Cedrick Wilson, Armstrong... none of which should really break the bank.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was going to put him in tier 1 but if it was only financially dependent I would have to kick Cedrick Wilson down and maybe make other changes. I tried to quantify it by impact on the field for the team.

Also Kearse in tier 2 is a no-brainer in this exercise, everyone would pick him. Also feel like he’s been a bit more impactful than the other tier 2 guys so gave him his respect lol.
Kearse should be in tier 2. You really think he is getting top safety money? So by my rules, I’m resigning Gregory, Kearse and whatever is leftover I’m giving to Micah just as a lil bonus.

Agree that they can't give Kearse a top tier contract.

I wonder if they would play Cox in that role where they play big Nickel with Kearse at LB and Hooker or Wilson replacing Kearse at Safety.

Cox might be as good as Kearse in coverage.

817Gill

Reaction score

I wonder if they would play Cox in that role where they play big Nickel with Kearse at LB and Hooker or Wilson replacing Kearse at Safety.

Would be interesting for sure as Quinn uses his S’s as LB’s in nickel. I think it depends on how the LB unit looks next year. If both Neal and LVE are gone and they don’t get a starter in the draft/FA would they use Cox as a more traditional LB?

I feel like they want Micah to be free to roam so they won’t force him into the every-down MLB role, but they do need two more guys in the unit. One who’s strength comes in run defense and one who can cover. Even if they use a S as that cover backer they need depth in one of those position groups to be able to do so comfortably.

The S and LB units are suddenly switched in terms of importance compared to how the FO has played it recently. We’ll see how much power Quinn has this offseason.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score

Kearse isn't getting more than 7M/year aav at that position and he won't even get that. Not with 1 year of starting under his belt. One of the lowest paid positions in the NFL.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Gregory
Kearse
Schultz
WRs can be replaced easier than a TEs. Schultz is dam good. We saw how hard it's been to find someone since Witten.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Gregory
Kearse
Wilson… Gallup with those top 2 signed will be too expensive