Players vs. fans

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's immature. He makes it hard to like him sometimes. But he's done pretty minor stuff compared to some other Cowboys in the past.
Yes and Booger should know better than to fire shots across the bow of an immature person. He's just immature enough to dig in and take it personally.

Doesn't help insinuating that Jaylon is a better team player than Elliott is either. The two situations are not even close.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Most fans seem to think that a Zeke like holdout will hurt his rep with his teammates. Not true. Most stud players, which is just about every pro player, have egos the size of Texas. They ALL want to get paid. Zeke's holdout might be hurting the fans, but fans will come crawling back as soon as he scores a TD. The team chemistry will only suffer if a teammate starts acting like a fan and not like a player.

Callate just pay me!!!

Brax

Reaction score
From Kraft's comments after Brady agreed to that contract, he said "Tommy really had no choice". That reduced contract had nothing to do with his wife's earnings, it was about Belichick's formula not allowing for a QB to take too much of his cap which is why he drafted Garappolo and would have traded Brady had he not been willing to play Belichick's game. No player is sacred to him, there's just not anyone else like him in the NFL.
can't seem to find that quote anywhere, Brady didn't have to sign he could of been a FA at end of season.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Most fans seem to think that a Zeke like holdout will hurt his rep with his teammates. Not true. Most stud players, which is just about every pro player, have egos the size of Texas. They ALL want to get paid. Zeke's holdout might be hurting the fans, but fans will come crawling back as soon as he scores a TD. The team chemistry will only suffer if a teammate starts acting like a fan and not like a player.

It is just business. I don't blame either side for the stance they take Jerry is trying to do what he feels is right and Zeke is doing what he feels is in his best interest. Players have a short life in the NFL and given his level of play I understand his stance. I also get that Jerry has to manage the cap so that he can take care of Zeke and other key players on this team. In the end I do think this is worked out and it will all be water under the bridge.

GMO415

Reaction score
Jerry has a right to say what he wants. Ask all the old errrr Senior people in here.....As you age, your filter thins. Why? because you're tired of eating a shhhh sandwhich for the past 60+ years. At this point, its time to drop the hammer on spoiled athletes.

T-RO

Reaction score
The players all get the business of the NFL. Too bad more fans don’t.

In my business--I run one-- I honor the contracts I sign. Believe me, sometimes that causes serious inconvenience, or difficulty.

I can imagine getting half-way through a database development contract and then "holding out" for more $. This hold out crap -- when under two years of remaining contract...is more than selfish--it's flat unethical...and not the way business works.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When the players understand Zeke's holdout prevented them from getting to the Super Bowl they will care.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In my business--I run one-- I honor the contracts I sign.
Professional sports business is one of a kind. If you’re one of the most Elite you can hold out and demand a new contract.

But in any business you can renegotiate a contract. That’s all these athletes are doing. Their only leverage is to hold out. Ownership ultimately holds the cards. If they don’t play , you don’t pay them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry has a right to say what he wants. Ask all the old errrr Senior people in here.....As you age, your filter thins. Why? because you're tired of eating a shhhh sandwhich for the past 60+ years. At this point, its time to drop the hammer on spoiled athletes.
I’m entertained by anyone challenging the status quo.

And I’d rather drop the hammer on the owners. If they’re willing to pay why shouldn’t the players take it? Nobody is holding a gun to their head.

The players are the artist and entertainers. Much like in a film or TV show. Without them there’s no game.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No ones preventing us from going to the Super Bowl as much as Jerry’s “ socks to jocks” ways.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
can't seem to find that quote anywhere, Brady didn't have to sign he could of been a FA at end of season.
Kraft said it because I read that as a quote and it was like that's all the money they had for QB.

Why would Brady want to be a FA? He needs Belichick more than he needs Brady. He's all about that legacy and it's a doozy, not likely to be eclipsed by any other QB. It's not like they said take 500K a year and all the razor blades you can use. 15M was not that far off the norm until 30M became the new 20M.

I believe Kraft told him he would take care of him later and he did get that 8M bump this season and I do believe he has the same future with NE as Elway has with DEN only he'll get paid better for being the good soldier.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How would they ever know that?
They will go back and replay all of the games with Zeke and then we'll know.

Would the Cowboys have won those two games with Emmitt? Prescott is average without Elliott but he was 3-5 with him last season. We use funny equations to arrive at answers.
3 + Y = foghorn.

I dunno, maybe it's just me but the QB is average without the RB and average without the WR, maybe it's the QB. I know, I know, I am reaching here.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The players all get the business of the NFL. Too bad more fans don’t.

The issue is the fans don't give one single thought about these players as humans. They are only there for their entertainment and when the tv is turned off, they cease to exist. So they don't care about their financial situations and what they think they are worth. All this "for the team" and "for the brand" is what the owners try and sell to fans to turn on players who have demands. Yet the greedy owners pull in more money in one year than generations could spend in their lifetimes. Fans turn on players who have demands yet they side with owners who cut players at any time and demand they take a paycut. They say it is being smart. When a player does it, he is greedy. Makes no sense.

Players don't get in the middle of the finance side of the game. No, players don't other players for getting their money. Everyone's #1 goal in playing sports is getting as much money they can get. Fans only care about rings and winning so they say players are being selfish and don't care about winning if they have contract demands.

JeffAtl

Reaction score
I’m entertained by anyone challenging the status quo.

And I’d rather drop the hammer on the owners. If they’re willing to pay why shouldn’t the players take it? Nobody is holding a gun to their head.

The players are the artist and entertainers. Much like in a film or TV show. Without them there’s no game.

All of this is a solved problem though due to the CBA - the owners and players have already agreed years ago on how the money should be split. The individual owners just get to decide how they allocate cap across their roster.

Zeke is not a Karen Silkwood or Cesar Chavez - he just wants a bigger slice of the pie than his fellow workers. Whatever money Zeke gets is just less money that another player gets.

If Zeke signed for $150M/yr, who would suffer? Not the owner, but the rest of the hard-working players that got released so the team could still fit under the salary cap.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Easy to say, and accurate as long as the player is reasonable and the team is viewed as being unfair or tight. But if players are offered top 5 money and still hold out and games are lost, you’ll see how fast that changes. Teammates turned on Bell and Brown in Pittsburg. Players know what Zeke already cost them a couple years ago and how Jerry stood behind him. Zeke cannot hold out for top RB number at any cost and not have it affect his teammates. Every situation is different. And players who all had to play out their rookie contracts before a bigger payday won’t sympathize as much.