Playoffs or Garrett is Gone

J12B

Reaction score
Now that the NFC East is set up for the taking, if Dallas somehow misses the playoffs, I'd say certainly Jones will fire Jason Garrett. There really is no excuse the Cowboys not to make the playoffs given how many injuries the Commanders and Eagles are facing. Those games and the Giants game, at the last week of the season, are all games any marginally decent coach can take care of. If Garrett fails, I see Jones bringing in a new coaching staff for the 2019 season.

Should be a win-win scenario for fans down this 6 game stretch. Either get into the playoffs and the team gets a chance to make a memorable run or miss and Garrett is gone.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It could happen, it should happen, but it won't.

Jerry had many excuses regardless what happens back in the off season.
And many more reasons have been added since then.

Garrett is not going anywhere. Both Garrett and Dak will be here for the 2019 season.
Now Linehan may be gone, and used as another reason. But nothing else will change, unless Rod retires.

droopdog7

Reaction score
That's pretty much the way it's been from the beginning of the year. And I think it will happen if the Boys don't make the playoffs.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yeah, I need something more than just a playoff appearance. What are we here? Marvin Lewis and the Bengals?

In my mind we gotta make a deep playoff run to at least the conference championship game.

That's said, if the past serves as a predictor of the future I think Garrett is here in 2019 no matter what.

J12B

Reaction score
Everyone? Including Richard?

I'd say Richard and Marenelli are safe given how the defensive unit has been the only consistent unit the entire year. But wouldn't be surprised if Marenelli ends up retiring after the end of this season.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think Linehan is out regardless of what happens short of going to the Superbowl.

Garrett is definitely gone if we don't make the playoffs.

A football miracle has happened the past couple of weeks and somehow we have a shot at the division and it's even easier because the Commanders lost their starting QB.

There is no excuse for Dallas to not win this division. If they don't then not even the Jones's can make an excuse to keep Garrett.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I'd say Richard and Marenelli are safe given how the defensive unit has been the only consistent unit the entire year. But wouldn't be surprised if Marenelli ends up retiring after the end of this season.

I mean, the whole idea is that you want someone new and young & innovative. Richard is just that, so it would be ridiculous to replace him in my opinion. If anything, he should be the next head coach and should go outside for a strong offensive coordinator.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Yeah, I need something more than just a playoff appearance. What are we here? Marvin Lewis and the Bengals?

In my mind we gotta make a deep playoff run to at least the conference championship game.

That's said, if the past serves as a predictor of the future I think Garrett is here in 2019 no matter what.

Check out the Give Cowboys Credit thread where mediocrity is praised and accepted.

J12B

Reaction score

Agreed. Dallas needs at least two wins. I don't see them getting past the Saints or Rams but I also believe in miracles..

I would bet Jones will give Garrett another year as so long as the team makes the playoffs.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think that is what will happen Rod will retire.
Most, if not all the rest on defense will be retained.
Secondary playing well for the most part, LB's playing great. DL getting pressure.
If Richard is promoted to DC, then we will get a new DE coach, Lett stays at DT. If Ricahrd does not continue to help the secondary, we will get a new one there to help Jackson.

Linehan will be gone.
Colombo will get the OL coach
Not sure about the rest, Brown at RB, Lal at WR, Nussmeir at TE, they all could stay, depending a new OC.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
What if they make the playoffs because the kicker of a tanking Giants team shanks a 20 yard field goal as time expires? It’s kind of silly to make decisions based on a singular outcome.