Poll: Rank Staubach's, Aikman's & Romo's Pro Bowler Teammates Collective Talent

How would you rank each QB's teammates combined talent from best-to-good per 'best' Pro Bowl year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

12+88=7

Reaction score
Pro Bowls are popularity votes, not a good standard.

The true question should be, how many Hall of Famer's did they play with?

Staubach and Aikman have Romo by a lot in that category.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I hate to compare different eras because the game is simply not even close to the same game. The rules have changed so much that it is ridiculous to compare, especially QBs.

Flat out talent.... holy cow was Aikman blessed to play with some great players..... same with Roger. Romo was easily far behind the other 2. I wish I could create a time machine and Bring a 24 year old Roger Staubach to today's game and see what he could do. The guy had leadership out the rear end, was athletic and could run like crazy, was a great passer and ran the 2 minute drill... might I say better than any QB in the history of the game. He is so underated in the all time great category because the stats are simply not there.... because QBs werent passing 500 plus times a season back then.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Roger > Aikman
Tony = Emmitt
Irvin > Drew
Randy White > than any DLlineman
Larry Allen ( not on the list ) > than any OLinemam

I choose Roger's team.
1993 team ended up looking worse than it was based on that list. The guys left off that list include Darren Woodson, Leon Lett, Mark Tuinei, Kevin Smith, Larry Brown, Harper and several more very good players.

If we are just supposed to debate the guys on that list Roger might have the best support but when you look at the whole team, the 93 Cowboys lap the field. I doubt the NFL ever sees another team as deep and talented vs. the rest of the league as that group. The cap will likely prevent it. The only thing that could cause another one would be a Herschel Walker type deal where some team gives up 7 high draft picks for one player and the team with those picks drafts near perfectly.

Edit add: Some of the guys on Romo's list are like "***? He made a pro bowl?!?!?!"

and because of how the Herschell trade went down, I dont think you will ever see another team willing to give up that much for a single player... not unless it is a Rodgers at age 25.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should have Charles Hayley on the 93 list as well.

http://www.nflgsis.com/Help/About.html

^ Link for a very interesting site. "[NFL] GSIS is used league-wide to capture play and statistical information from every NFL stadium." Back to that site in a moment. First, a quick peek at Charles Hayley--I mean--Charles Haley's--Pro Football Hall of Fame page:

wz3UqZY.jpg

That is odd. No mention of 1993, which would have been the CALENDAR year that Haley would have played in the Pro Bowl immediately AFTER the 1992 SEASON that he was voted to represent the NFC and play IN the Pro Bowl.

Strange. Wait. I forgot something. Oh yes. NFL GSIS.

The following are links to the NFL's gamebooks for certain Pro Bowls. Please take note of the CALENDAR DATE either printed or handwritten at the top of each PDF:

http://www.nflgsis.com/1988/Post/05/53341/Gamebook.pdf

http://www.nflgsis.com/1990/Post/05/53365/Gamebook.pdf

http://www.nflgsis.com/1991/Post/05/51822/Gamebook.pdf

http://www.nflgsis.com/1994/Post/05/50483/Gamebook.pdf

http://www.nflgsis.com/1995/Post/05/53514/Gamebook.pdf

One. Two. Three. Four. Five gamebooks.

Of Pro Bowls.

Listing Charles Haley.

Shown on his Pro Football Hall of Fame page.

I have one question, which will be in the form of an emoji directly below.

:huh:

Please do not pay any attention to ANY OTHER EMOJIS you might see below. That is just me on this site sometimes. :p

<expletive> Cowboyszone! :banghead:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too bad Larry Allen's name couldn't appear on here!
The funny thing is Allen would have been an undergraduate at Butte Junior College or Sonoma State (I have no idea when he transferred to Sonoma exactly) for him to have had even a remote chance of being listed in this poll. :) The crazy thing is I would not have put it past Allen, of all people, to have been impressive enough to land a Pro Bowl vote in the NFL even then. I have little doubt fans and critics alike agree Mr. Allen was one of the best players the NFL ever saw, regardless of position. Or may be ever see again.

EDIT: Allen was at Sonoma State at the time

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/ran...-collective-talent.440945/page-3#post-9470685

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The funny thing is Allen would have been an undergraduate at Butte Junior College or Sonoma State (I have no idea where he transferred to Sonoma exactly) for him to have had even a remote chance of being listed in this poll. :) The crazy thing is I would not have put it past Allen, of all people, to have been impressive enough to land a Pro Bowl vote in the NFL even then. I have little doubt fans and critics alike agree Mr. Allen was one of the best players the NFL ever saw, regardless of position. Or may be ever see again.
sonoma doesnt even have football anymore....lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pro Bowls are popularity votes, not a good standard.

The true question should be, how many Hall of Famer's did they play with?

Staubach and Aikman have Romo by a lot in that category.
Here is a thoughtful question that I hope player only fans of Aikman and Romo will not take offense.

"What if the Board of Selectors finally voted in those Staubach's pro bowl teammates whom they have barred from entering the Hall after all these years?"

o_O

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I had to factor in some soul crushing Superbowl defeats into my analysis & proper cyphering thereof

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sonoma doesnt even have football anymore....lol
:laugh:

Thanks for getting me to re-think checking out Sonoma State's website. Found this:

https://sonomaseawolves.com/hof.aspx?hof=14&mobile=skip

Larry Allen

Induction Class of 2001
Football
Nobody in th history of Sonoma State Athletics has so thoroughly dominated the competition the way Larry Allen did during the 1992 and 1993 football seasons.

A two-time Kodak All-America and First Team Associated Press All-America pick, and a unanimous selection on numerous other All-America teams, Larry was such a dominating presence on the offensive line for the Cossacks that he was actually named the Northern California Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Year as a senior. Absolutely unheard of for a player that wasn't a quarterback, running back or wide receiver.

In two years at Sonoma State, Larry left an indelible mark on everyone who saw him play...and a more permanent mark on those who played against him. In the Cossacks' 1992 upset of #6-ranked Portland State, Larry led running back Johnny Mack on a sweep around the left side. After knocking away one of the Vikings defensive lineman, Larry set his sights on a PSU cornerback who immediately wished he was anywhere else at the time. He got his wish soon enough as Larry literally launched him into the air sending him to spots unknown. The videotape of this play was shown repeatedly on ESPN as the 1994 NFL draft approached.

In April of 1994, Larry became the first and only Sonoma State football player drafted into the NFL when the Dallas Cowboys made him their second round pick, and the 46th player chosen overall. Said ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper at the time, "Allen will step up and be a great player."

Larry has certianly proven Kiper right. An 11-time Pro Bowl selection, Allen played 12 seasons with the Cowboys and earned a Super Bowl ring with the team after a 27-17 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XXX. He played his final two seasons with the San Francisco 49ers.

Allen was a football force before he ever entered the NFL. :starspin:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The funny thing is Allen would have been an undergraduate at Butte Junior College or Sonoma State (I have no idea where he transferred to Sonoma exactly) for him to have had even a remote chance of being listed in this poll. :) The crazy thing is I would not have put it past Allen, of all people, to have been impressive enough to land a Pro Bowl vote in the NFL even then. I have little doubt fans and critics alike agree Mr. Allen was one of the best players the NFL ever saw, regardless of position. Or may be ever see again.

EDIT: Allen was at Sonoma State at the time

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/ran...-collective-talent.440945/page-3#post-9470685
Yeah, he was a 1994-2005 player. Sure helped them win SB XXX!

Big_D

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith-119 TDs in his first 7 years. Apparently Aikman didn’t need it and Romo certainly didnt have it. Maybe someday pro bowls will out weigh actually scoring points. But in this situation it’s a useless stat.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
and because of how the Herschell trade went down, I dont think you will ever see another team willing to give up that much for a single player... not unless it is a Rodgers at age 25.

Mike Ditka and Ricky Williams says hello.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
:laugh:

Thanks for getting me to re-think checking out Sonoma State's website. Found this:

https://sonomaseawolves.com/hof.aspx?hof=14&mobile=skip

Larry Akkrn was the strongest... The meanest and best LG and LT in the NFL ( and the quietest). He will always be one if my favorite Cowboys
Larry Allen

Induction Class of 2001
Football
Nobody in th history of Sonoma State Athletics has so thoroughly dominated the competition the way Larry Allen did during the 1992 and 1993 football seasons.

A two-time Kodak All-America and First Team Associated Press All-America pick, and a unanimous selection on numerous other All-America teams, Larry was such a dominating presence on the offensive line for the Cossacks that he was actually named the Northern California Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Year as a senior. Absolutely unheard of for a player that wasn't a quarterback, running back or wide receiver.

In two years at Sonoma State, Larry left an indelible mark on everyone who saw him play...and a more permanent mark on those who played against him. In the Cossacks' 1992 upset of #6-ranked Portland State, Larry led running back Johnny Mack on a sweep around the left side. After knocking away one of the Vikings defensive lineman, Larry set his sights on a PSU cornerback who immediately wished he was anywhere else at the time. He got his wish soon enough as Larry literally launched him into the air sending him to spots unknown. The videotape of this play was shown repeatedly on ESPN as the 1994 NFL draft approached.

In April of 1994, Larry became the first and only Sonoma State football player drafted into the NFL when the Dallas Cowboys made him their second round pick, and the 46th player chosen overall. Said ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper at the time, "Allen will step up and be a great player."

Larry has certianly proven Kiper right. An 11-time Pro Bowl selection, Allen played 12 seasons with the Cowboys and earned a Super Bowl ring with the team after a 27-17 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XXX. He played his final two seasons with the San Francisco 49ers.

Allen was a football force before he ever entered the NFL. :starspin:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo is easily 3rd
I look at that 2007 team and go player for player vs the 1993 team.
This is not an exaggeration--almost not a single player is better. Witten > Novacek, maybe. An older (and inured late season) TO is not better than Michael Irvin.
Barber vs Emmitt Smith? Seriously.:lmao:

It's just not close if you look at the whole roster on both sides of the ball.
I'm I'm not even going to start with those 70s teams full of HOFers.

Last edited: