Poll: What do you do with Dak if you're the GM of the Cowboys?

Poll: What road do you prefer for Dak's future with the Cowboys?

• Extend

• Post June 1st cut.

• Let him play out his last year of his contract to prove it or lose it..

Results are only viewable after voting.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Dak does have a hand in our playoff loss this season but certainly he isn't the singular reason. Outclassed, unprepared and oblivious coaching. An overrated defense and offense that is not post season caliber. A reactive, distracted, mediocre talented upper management moored in obsolete team development solutions.

Big_D

Reaction score
Dak does have a hand in our playoff loss this season but certainly he isn't the singular reason. Outclassed, unprepared and oblivious coaching. An overrated defense and offense that is not post season caliber. A reactive, distracted, mediocre talented upper management moored in obsolete team development solutions.
All very good reasons why extending Dak makes no sense! Reactive, never proactive! Thats this front office!

McMicah

Reaction score
I just don’t understand the logic of keeping Dak. Roughly every 4 games Dak lays a complete egg, not just statistically but mentally. Even if he is Mahomes and Brady combined in the other 3 games, his inconsistency brings your chances of winning a Super Bowl to like 1%, and that’s with a good team around him.

I’d rather have a consistent lesser talent than someone who gets zapped by the aliens from Space Jam every 4 games.

Cowboys93

Reaction score
The only way I think about extending Dak is if it’s on a movable contract that does not include a NTC. Zero percent chance that happens. Doubling down now with minimal leverage is pure sunken cost fallacy. At some point we need to cut losses and start anew

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Regardless of anyone's stance on Dak as a QB this poll is pretty revealing about the popularity of Dak with only 18% of fans saying to just extend the guy no matter what.

Looking back at his jersey sales it's pretty interesting as well. On one had I believe he was somewhere in the top 10 in total jersey sales by some metric (Cant find the data to confirm though), but on the other he really only sold a ton of merch was when he was playing lights out on national TV around Thanksgiving. The rest of the year he was outside of the top 10 sellers each week. Meanwhile Micah/Lamb were both consistent big sellers week after week. I know it doesn't mean much in terms of his abilities as a player but it is interesting that the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys may have some marketability/likability issues. Maybe it's because hes a veteran player and most Dak fans already have jerseys???

zeke21

Reaction score
The fact that his rookie season still remains his best is a problem. I realise he will get the extension because our FO sucks.. but Dak needs to go ASAP. I'd be telling him that he is going to sit behind Lance and we are getting a QB in the draft.. then I'd get him to consider offers and see if I can trade him to move up the draft board or pick up another couple of kids.

If we can't find a stupid enough team to take him.. then cut him lose and take the cap hit. Spend a season under Lance and evaluate what we have.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Every QB should see it this way, none do..then again whats happens when they do this and the GM doesnt use the money to make the team better..that also happens.
Thats why this team is in shambles. We have a QB thats going to eat up a quarter of the cap. If they won't sign him and let him walk, they will end up with all this cap space which they have no clue on how to work with.

Frankly, they are going to sign Dak not because he's a great QB. They are going to sign him because they don't want the deal with the extra cap space and they have no clue on how to build a championship team like the 49ers and the Chiefs.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I would cut him June 1st. But Jerry and son won't do that. They will extend him, and make it like he's going to take us to the promise land that now he's paid.

The reason that the FO sign these big contracts is so that they don't have to deal with extra cap space. They have no clue how to build a team through FA.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
No way to trade him and his contract to Pittsburgh, Atlanta or somewhere they need a serviceable QB?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are all pretty much aware by now of what choices the F/O has concerning the upcoming deadline of March 13th for Dak's possible extension.
You're the GM what would your choice be?
I voted to let him playout the season.
However there are a few factors that go into that.

That only happens if they can find out ways to get under the cap while taking Dak's cap hit.
If that can't be done or is to hard to do, then yes, post June 1st cut. However that does not help for now. Only helps after June 1st. So that only gives them money to sign the draft class as well any extensions as to Lamb and possibly Micah. It in no way helps bringing in FA's or signing their own. So they still must make other moves.

Jerry has no one to blame except himself.

If extended, then we are stuck with him for what 2 to 4 years depending on how it is written. Then we will be in the same situation or worse. Probably still with only 2 playoffs wins with him maybe 3. If extended, let there be a trade clause.

This will not be a good off-season.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Except Dak can’t win playoff games.

Everyone knows.

it’s a failed career.
And that has 0 to do with his cap hit.

Like I said in an earlier post, that $59 million dollar cap hit does not just vanish like a fart in the wind, it has to be paid either this year or spread out over the next couple of years (via extension or using the void years and converting base-to-bonus), but one way or another that cap hit has to be paid.

I would prefer to just roll with Dak this year and clear the cap space all at once, then we can have a reboot starting in 2025 with a clean cap.

rambo2

Reaction score
I voted to let him playout the season.
However there are a few factors that go into that.

That only happens if they can find out ways to get under the cap while taking Dak's cap hit.
If that can't be done or is to hard to do, then yes, post June 1st cut. However that does not help for now. Only helps after June 1st. So that only gives them money to sign the draft class as well any extensions as to Lamb and possibly Micah. It in no way helps bringing in FA's or signing their own. So they still must make other moves.

Jerry has no one to blame except himself.

If extended, then we are stuck with him for what 2 to 4 years depending on how it is written. Then we will be in the same situation or worse. Probably still with only 2 playoffs wins with him maybe 3. If extended, let there be a trade clause.

This will not be a good off-season.
I actually love this off season. We will be getting a lot of new players.