Twitter: Pollard breaks tackles for a 40 yard dagger

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I wasn’t silent on Pollard throughout the game. He didn’t neglect to do anything Zeke would have done. He got tough yards, got hit in the backfield and limited yards lost, commanded attention from the defense, and was effective in the passing game against a good defense with a crappy offensive line. Then he did what Zeke is incapable of doing and what many Zeke haters want him to do, make a big play happen.

Just because your post wasn’t being commented on during the game doesn’t mean Pollard wasn’t being discussed. He was.
Pollard whiffed on a couple blitzers that Elliott most likely doesn't.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I thought it was a good run, one that zeke could not make,he would just go down instead of breaking tackles and keep going.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nope.. I laughed because I knew the idiots were finally going to come out of the woodwork. . And I know they were on pins and needles over Pollard's 2 ypc up to that point. Then ya finally got a decent run and out they came. They had been silent all game until that moment.. Kinda like Pollard.. at least on the ground though he'd had a nice day as a receiver..

And you have me confused with some other fans here.. I leaped off my couch and screamed (scared the hell outta the dog) when Pollard scored that TD.. Cause.. I cheer for EVERY player on my team and am happy when any of them makes a big play. The "I hate one guy so I need to pump up some other guy" is for other people.. Try it on them. Or use it in the mirror.. seems like it's applicable to you.

I got news for ya buddy..........fans like me have been telling about Pollard and Zeke for two years now and you wouldnt listen. Now you are seeing the truth and its making your point of view look silly. And like I said..............you knew this was coming. I could see you getting all ready to brag about Pollard having a tough rushing day. Then he busts a 40 yarder to win the game and its hammer time.

Pollard already had 6 catches for 69 yards before that run so you would have eaten your words just for that. "At least on the ground" LOL Caught yourself eh?

And the two TD's, one including the GL TD must have stung for you. Seeing as though the great ZEke has been getting stuffed down there of late.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I've always believed that you only have so many plays in you. Doesn't matter how young or old you are, you have x amount and then you are on the other side. Zeke has had a lot of carries. I don't know that he can get the speed back. I mean, maybe he's bulked up because he knows that this part of his game is gone, who knows?

This is a reasonable take.. Guys don't stay constant throughout their careers.. nor should they. What works in year one won't work in year five because of how hard NFL DCs work at taking away your "one trick" if you're a one trick pony. Zeke's strength was always in his completeness. Tough yards? Check.. Receiving threat? Check.. Move the chains? Check.. Ball security? Check.. Occasional home run? Check.. He was one back who could give you a little bit of everything.. This year he has been bad catching the ball, bad at ball security at least early in the season and delivered very few home run type plays. It's on him to rectify that. I do believe speed can come back... He just has to make it a priority and get with a good speed trainer in the offseason. He's too young for it to be gone forever. But he will lose some power in the process. He's big.. but he's not 250 like Henry.. If he drops 10 pounds and plays at 215 instead of 225 there will be a price to pay. The question is whether the added speed makes up for it. I guess the other question is whether the Cowboys would even want him to. Is the team better with two smaller backs? I honestly don't know. Seems like there is always going to be points in the game where a power back is an absolute necessity. But that's obviously on the coaches to make that call.

The other thing about speed as you age and I've talked about this in the past is that when you run your body sends feedback to the brain that tells you you're running fast based on the amount of effort being expended and the amount of energy being burned. So when you're running full speed or close to it you have a certainly feeling. As you get older you get that same feeling even though you're not running as fast because the body chemistry has changed with age. What you have to do, at least what I had to do was to train my body to not accept that "feeling" of running full speed .. It took a ton of work but once I hit on it I went from gradually getting slower as I went through my 20's to running PRs in my early 30's. Now I wasn't getting beat on by 300 pound men at any point in my life but I believe there is precedent for guys figuring out how to regain some of that speed and explosion even after the outside world thought it was gone. Emmitt certainly did.. They shoveled dirt on Emmitt in '96 and '97 and all he did was throw together several very productive seasons on the ground afterwards.. What was it? .. two near 1400 yard seasons and one 1200 yarder? Time will tell if Zeke is able to do something similar. It would be really good for the Cowboys if he does.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It has been hard for all of our RB trying to run behind a makeshift line. Pollard has had some good runs the best was the big run vs San Fran. However prior to that last run by Pollard he had 11 carries for 29 yards. I'm not putting this on him fact is all RB need people up front blocking and none of the RB are have gotten much help in that regard. Overall I like the job Pollard has done given the situation and outside of some poor decisions he has made in terms of kick off returns. I think Pollard brings a certain skill set to the offense with his quickness and speed which has resulted in some positive plays. Looking at so called skilled position (QB,RB,WR and TE) the one big common they rely on is the ability to get quality blocking without that plays are hard to come by on consistent basis

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I wasn’t silent on Pollard throughout the game. He didn’t neglect to do anything Zeke would have done. He got tough yards, got hit in the backfield and limited yards lost, commanded attention from the defense, and was effective in the passing game against a good defense with a crappy offensive line. Then he did what Zeke is incapable of doing and what many Zeke haters want him to do, make a big play happen.

Just because your post wasn’t being commented on during the game doesn’t mean Pollard wasn’t being discussed. He was.

So yall were lauding that 2 yards per carry all day on the game thread? I am generally not on the computer during the game cause I don't like taking my laptop out of the port rep and I enjoy the game better when I can just watch the game. I will have to read through some of the comments about Pollard's greatness before that last play.. Should be interesting.. I do have to question your assertion that he "commanded attention from the defense" though. Pollard had several catches when there was not a defender within 5 yards of him. Sorry man but that is not "commanding attention." I did like that he ran hard between the tackles though.. but the only first down we converted on the ground was by Blake Bell. Aside from the 40 yarder of course. The Cowboys didn't move the ball on the ground worth a damn that day. If one good running play is enough for some folks to declare it a "good game" that's fine.. I'm not one of them. But it was just enough to win.. which is all that matters at the end of the day.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So yall were lauding that 2 yards per carry all day on the game thread? I am generally not on the computer during the game cause I don't like taking my laptop out of the port rep and I enjoy the game better when I can just watch the game. I will have to read through some of the comments about Pollard's greatness before that last play.. Should be interesting.. I do have to question your assertion that he "commanded attention from the defense" though. Pollard had several catches when there was not a defender within 5 yards of him. Sorry man but that is not "commanding attention." I did like that he ran hard between the tackles though.. but the only first down we converted on the ground was by Blake Bell. Aside from the 40 yarder of course. The Cowboys didn't move the ball on the ground worth a damn that day. If one good running play is enough for some folks to declare it a "good game" that's fine.. I'm not one of them. But it was just enough to win.. which is all that matters at the end of the day.

LOL.. Now I remember why I never read the game threads.. Lord the amount of stupidity in that thing.. People knee jerking all over the place about everything from Pollard, to Jaylon, to Lawrence to fitting Dalton for his Hall of Fame bust.. Back and forth insults like an elementary school playground.. I thought it would be entertaining.. I was wrong.. I'm gonna go back to not reading those threads.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I get where you are coming from but I will say this. Pollard had a good day as the primary back, he accumulated 132 total yards and 2 TD. For me I am not judging him or comparing him to Zeke. I'm just looking at the player himself, I think Pollard is an important part of this offense and a guy who can make the big plays. In terms of rushing, again I think with the OL problems none of the RB have been getting many holes to run through. Pollard is a FA after the 2022 season so until then Cowboys can continue to use him as part of this offense and make a decision later on.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I get where you are coming from but I will say this. Pollard had a good day as the primary back, he accumulated 132 total yards and 2 TD. For me I am not judging him or comparing him to Zeke. I'm just looking at the player himself, I think Pollard is an important part of this offense and a guy who can make the big plays. In terms of rushing, again I think with the OL problems none of the RB have been getting many holes to run through. Pollard is a FA after the 2022 season so until then Cowboys can continue to use him as part of this offense and make a decision later on.

No doubt.. Pollard had a solid all around day.. But if we didn't get the turnovers the struggles on the ground would have bitten us in the arse. There's a very good chance that we would have been down 10+ points and no longer even pretending to run the ball late in the game so the 40 yarder might never have happened. We did try to get the ball to the outside more than in most games this year once we realized that we weren't running it inside worth a damn. I liked that.. wish we would do more of it regardless of who the back is. We've got a couple of talented backs which should be a plus for us. I enjoyed the catches with nobody around him and again, if that's Zeke it never happens because Zeke is never going to be left THAT alone while he's on the football field. Pollard is valuable if no other reason than that. But if he takes a couple of those 80 yards like Zeke did a couple of years back he won't be left alone like that either. I like what Pollard brings to the offense.. It's a different element from Zeke.. which also is good for the Cowboys.. When we get back to actually blocking people both backs are going to get busy.. I look forward to it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is a reasonable take.. Guys don't stay constant throughout their careers.. nor should they. What works in year one won't work in year five because of how hard NFL DCs work at taking away your "one trick" if you're a one trick pony. Zeke's strength was always in his completeness. Tough yards? Check.. Receiving threat? Check.. Move the chains? Check.. Ball security? Check.. Occasional home run? Check.. He was one back who could give you a little bit of everything.. This year he has been bad catching the ball, bad at ball security at least early in the season and delivered very few home run type plays. It's on him to rectify that. I do believe speed can come back... He just has to make it a priority and get with a good speed trainer in the offseason. He's too young for it to be gone forever. But he will lose some power in the process. He's big.. but he's not 250 like Henry.. If he drops 10 pounds and plays at 215 instead of 225 there will be a price to pay. The question is whether the added speed makes up for it. I guess the other question is whether the Cowboys would even want him to. Is the team better with two smaller backs? I honestly don't know. Seems like there is always going to be points in the game where a power back is an absolute necessity. But that's obviously on the coaches to make that call.

The other thing about speed as you age and I've talked about this in the past is that when you run your body sends feedback to the brain that tells you you're running fast based on the amount of effort being expended and the amount of energy being burned. So when you're running full speed or close to it you have a certainly feeling. As you get older you get that same feeling even though you're not running as fast because the body chemistry has changed with age. What you have to do, at least what I had to do was to train my body to not accept that "feeling" of running full speed .. It took a ton of work but once I hit on it I went from gradually getting slower as I went through my 20's to running PRs in my early 30's. Now I wasn't getting beat on by 300 pound men at any point in my life but I believe there is precedent for guys figuring out how to regain some of that speed and explosion even after the outside world thought it was gone. Emmitt certainly did.. They shoveled dirt on Emmitt in '96 and '97 and all he did was throw together several very productive seasons on the ground afterwards.. What was it? .. two near 1400 yard seasons and one 1200 yarder? Time will tell if Zeke is able to do something similar. It would be really good for the Cowboys if he does.

The problem with Zeke is that he isnt great at anything. His best feature is durability. He can catch, but thats the extent of it. Pretty much reduced to in the flat or screen type receptions. And again, nothing big play in the run game or passing game for him. And sadly, for his strength and size, he isnt a great short yardage and GL back. His predictability hurts him greatly. Doesnt have the speed, or quickness to bounce it outside. So on short yardage and GL all you have to do is stack the middle of the line and he is easy to stop.

Leading the NFL in fumbles doenst help and his off the field stupidity and salary make him a hinderance to the team. We arent even getting close to what we paid for. Zeke at 5 million per year in a spilt carry backfield with Pollard might be acceptable. But the guy simply doesnt deserve 20-25 touches a game.

blumayne38

Reaction score
I got news for ya buddy..........fans like me have been telling about Pollard and Zeke for two years now and you wouldnt listen. Now you are seeing the truth and its making your point of view look silly. And like I said..............you knew this was coming. I could see you getting all ready to brag about Pollard having a tough rushing day. Then he busts a 40 yarder to win the game and its hammer time.

Pollard already had 6 catches for 69 yards before that run so you would have eaten your words just for that. "At least on the ground" LOL Caught yourself eh?

And the two TD's, one including the GL TD must have stung for you. Seeing as though the great ZEke has been getting stuffed down there of late.
When pollard goes to another team, can you go with him?