News: Pollard can't be "the guy."

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Have we all just ignored the fact that Zeke routinely checks himself out of games to get a blow?

Every running back gets tired.

This is just more unnecessary Pollard slander.

Why not just enjoy the fact that we have two good backs?
Players do this all the time. Pollard checks himself out. Having both is a good thing. Not sure why so many need to distinguish one over the other.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yes, this is what you get with him that you don't get with Zeke. It's funny that everyone is trying to omit his big plays when that is why most if us are advocating for altering his usage.

Nobody is trying to omit anything. What I am saying (and I'm sure you will ignore again THIS TIME) is that being the lead dog will take those big plays out of Pollard's game over time. I said two weeks ago that I thought he'd be fine against the Bears.. One game isn't where it shows up.. It's over the course of a season.. week in and week out having to do the dirty work.. Blocking, short yardage, inside runs, outside runs, all of it. Every defense won't be Chicago. Some will be like Washington, or the Bucs, or the Eagles.. Some will defeat our line and force the back to make something on his own. Some will have great inside backers who don't let you get to the edge.

It's fascinating that folks claim in one breath that the toll of being the lead dog has taken away Zeke's burst.. then advocate doing the same thing to Pollard and expecting different results. If you hand over the lead dog role to Pollard you MIGHT get a 2-3 game bump from him. Maybe 5-6 games. Maybe you get a full season.. But eventually his slighter build, especially up top will cause him to lose juice. And when he loses that juice you guys will be clamoring for HIS backup and again act as if you have never seen this movie before..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Tony Pollard can't be a lead running back in the NFL.

By his own admission. He tapped out after 15 carries.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article268190912.html

Good news is that this might make him a lot cheaper to re-sign.

Your mistaking a lead back from a full load back. Pollard is better than Zeke, much better. So he should be starting games and getting his 15 carries. Another back can have the rest and spell him when needed. Mop up duty. We certainly dont need to pay 18 million for a short yardage, fill on back.

I also took Pollards claim to his coach as more of a "drop the mic" moment. Mamba out!!

Guy had just ran for 56 yards and his 3rd TD of the game for 150 yards with the Cowboys up 20. Job is finished.

Regardless I dont think anyone has EVER claimed he was a full load back. And he honestly doesnt need to be. All the guy needs is 15 carries.

And like you said.............it will probably make him come cheaper.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I prefer to see the Cowboys be successful with 2 RBs. Zeke was a dominant bell cow for a short time but it took an obvious toll on him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nobody is trying to omit anything. What I am saying (and I'm sure you will ignore again THIS TIME) is that being the lead dog will take those big plays out of Pollard's game over time. I said two weeks ago that I thought he'd be fine against the Bears.. One game isn't where it shows up.. It's over the course of a season.. week in and week out having to do the dirty work.. Blocking, short yardage, inside runs, outside runs, all of it. Every defense won't be Chicago. Some will be like Washington, or the Bucs, or the Eagles.. Some will defeat our line and force the back to make something on his own. Some will have great inside backers who don't let you get to the edge.

It's fascinating that folks claim in one breath that the toll of being the lead dog has taken away Zeke's burst.. then advocate doing the same thing to Pollard and expecting different results. If you hand over the lead dog role to Pollard you MIGHT get a 2-3 game bump from him. Maybe 5-6 games. Maybe you get a full season.. But eventually his slighter build, especially up top will cause him to lose juice. And when he loses that juice you guys will be clamoring for HIS backup and again act as if you have never seen this movie before..

You might as well just go hide under a rock after what Pollard did last week. If its not obvious to you how much better Pollard is, then you might as well just bow out and delete your account.

Cowboys dont need Pollard to handle 20 carries a game. He does his work in 15 touches what zeke cant do in 25.

I dont even think this is about Zeke anymore. Pollard just needs another back to spell him here and there or take drive here and there. Davis did just fine. Your theory about Zeke wearing down the defense for Pollard just got blown out of the water as well. Pollard doesnt need anything from Zeke.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Might have been because he lined up at receiver 5-6 times and was the I-back in the 2 back set with Zeke at FB another 3-4 times. He played more snaps but got fewer touches.. In short.. some of the Detroit snaps were of the less stressful variety. I think he was also out there for the end of game kneel downs with Zeke nursing the knee. TP also gained 53 of his 83 yards on two carries.. meaning he got 30 yards on the other 10 carries.. 3.0 a pop.. It also bears pointing out that Pollard's two long runs or 28 and 25 yards came in the second half.. you know.. after that other guy had worn the defense down some. It's a winning formula.. we need to keep using it.

Who wore the defense down for Pollard's 54-yard TD in the 4th quarter against the Bears?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Nobody is trying to omit anything. What I am saying (and I'm sure you will ignore again THIS TIME) is that being the lead dog will take those big plays out of Pollard's game over time.

Just because you say it doesn't make it true. Besides, he is a free agent I'm not worried about next year. Use him up! I'm not advocating for 30 carries. Just have him be the lead and let Zeke spell him when he need it. 60/40 split--something like that.

As far as running goes, he shown he can do everything Zeke can do. Short yardage, up the gut, etc. Zeke has the pass protection on him, I'll give him that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Pollard is not an every down player but there is no doubt the man is a playmaker, his play this season has had a great impact. Having runs of 57, 54, 46 yarders taken to the house. I think these argument are silly, I have no issue with Pollard carries in terms of how much but I do know when he is on the field he is an impact player, a differance maker. That is not a knock on Zeke or anyone else but it is fact.

Pollard is much better than Zeke, thats is a fact. And its definitely a knock on Zeke. Pollard embarrasses Zeke and he isnt even trying.

Loso86

Reaction score
Ok and not saying you are one saying this, that’s fine but why does Zeke outside of all the stuff that has held the franchise back for nearly 30 years deserve any carries? It’s not like 31 qbs are going out each week cuz the Rbs they play with can’t block or whatever.

The amount of excuses zeke gets year after year is baffling.
What baffles me, is of this was zeke who did this yall would be ALL OVER this dude lol smh

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And Zeke went 9 for 37 in one of those games & 18 for 87 in the other.

True.. but those both came after the torn PCL.. In the two 40+ point games before his injury he went 38 carries for 205 yards and 3 TDs. So when healthy he was able to ball. All the more reason they would have been better off sitting him 5-6 weeks last year instead of letting him play through it. They went 3-3 in the games right after his injury anyway. I think they could have done that without him. But having him healthy for the stretch I really think lets them beat AZ and probably the 49ers too. But some of Pollard's spectacular whiff blocks against the Bucs and Chargers probably gave the coaches nightmares.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who wore the defense down for Pollard's 54-yard TD in the 4th quarter against the Bears?

Yep, the "zeke wears down defenses for Pollard" theory just got blow out of the water completely. It was nonsense then and its laughable now.

Seems to me that its actually Zeke that needs the defense worn down for him. He would probably play better getting more of his carries in the 2nd half when the defense is gassed. Maybe he could actually make someone miss at that point.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What baffles me, is of this was zeke who did this yall would be ALL OVER this dude lol smh

Great point. LOL

If zeke had 150 yards 3 TD's and a long TD the Zeke apologists would be ranting and raving about how he was still a top 5 RB in the NFL.

ghst187

Reaction score
I don’t see how we can keep Zeke on his current contract. Clearly we need a duo but seems like we can find a bruiser RB without too much trouble…either a mid round pick or free agent. But then we need to sign Pollard.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
In the two 40+ point games before his injury he went 38 carries for 205 yards and 3 TDs.

Yeah, that's 2 games. 14 for 41 in one game (not good) and 21 for 110 (good game) in the other. He was not bad vs NY in 21' by all means, but we've seen Pollard be much more efficient than those numbers when he gets the snaps.

I like Zeke & he definitely still has a place, but when Pollard is playing like he is you have to ride the hot hand. He's been our entire offence in many of these games this year.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I prefer to see the Cowboys be successful with 2 RBs. Zeke was a dominant bell cow for a short time but it took an obvious toll on him.
Sending him pounding into a wall for several years indeed took a toll on him lol.

Other than that, since we have both there is no controversy this year. If you wanna complain about how they are being used, take it up with the 3 year apprentice playing OC on the sidelines. Neither of them is the weapon. Our weapon is versatility. Let's see if Kellen can hit anything with it (he did in at least 6 games so far ;) ).

kskboys

Reaction score
Pollard was not drafted to be a feature back, he was a share back at Memphis.

He is fulfilling the role he was selected for and if they let Elliott walk, they will need another RB1.
Too bad they didn't realize this about Felix Jones!!!!! Ruined his career pathetically trying to make him the ball cow. Never made sense.