Twitter: Pollard gets more difficult carries than Zeke and does more with them

Xeven

Reaction score
I really wish people would quit trying so hard to establish one back superior to the other. They are on the same team and both brings their own thing to the table.

Just be glad Dallas has them both. Who cares who starts?
If we had just Pollard and Davis we would be better than today imo. Zeke is great guy, wasted career under Garret like so many. Time to retire or sit on bench.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
If we had just Pollard and Davis we would be better than today imo. Zeke is great guy, wasted career under Garret like so many. Time to retire or sit on bench.
You can't be serious.

Zeke gets the dirty yards and Blocks to keep Dak upright. Pollard is the "Flash" that everyone falls in love with. If it was just pollard you guys would see much different. Pollard is productive because of Zeke not in spite of him.

Go through any year you wish and look at the per yard carry of the back used sparingly.

it's always higher. some time you need a Derrick Henery and sometimes you need a Christian McCaffery. Dallas has both. Lucky.

Last edited:

Scotman

Reaction score
I've never played ball, but I'll give this evaluating backs things a try.

Zeke is significantly better at pass protection and picking up the blitz. He is much faster at recognizing the defensive pass rushing schemes than Pollard is and is stronger at the point of the block. With the ball in his hands, Zeke tends to pick a hole and hit it. There isn't much dancing in the backfield, and when there is, he loses yardage. He's still a big guy and strong enough to punish tacklers. He's not strong enough to consistently make the first guy miss. In the open field he no longer has much top end speed and can be caught from behind. He's still a load to be brought down...but can and will be most of the time. His style of play makes a massive difference in pass protection and just wears defenses down. Zeke has matured on and off the field. He has become the consummate teammate. Defenses know with less certainty when Zeke is in the game whether it will be a run or a pass. He really benefits from having a back that can spell him and know that there is no drop off overall with him in the game. This is especially important as the miles on Zeke's tires have been adding up.

Pollard isn't much more than a warm body at pass protection. He looks slow to recognize what the defense is doing and has little situational awareness if he isn't moving forward. When he does engage defense players as a blocker, he doesn't seem able to properly set his hips and feet to keep from getting blown off his spot. He is a liability in pass protection. With the ball in his hands, Pollard is very explosive. He has the burst and vision to change where he is going with the ball. He is much harder to defend against because he doesn't have to immediately commit to a single gap. His burst seems to make blockers take bad angles which allows him to beat single-man tackles often. In the open field he can run away from most defenders. If he gets behind the defense with the ball in his hands he is likely to score. He really benefits from Zeke absorbing the brunt of the defense's energy.

Overall, we have two great backs. We need both of them on game day as they fill two different roles. As far as the analytics? I don't have a formula. I've watched every professional play either back has ever participated in. But, I haven't broken those plays from an all-22 or any other advanced measures. So, I recognize someone on here may have a more complete understanding that better explains what I think I'm seeing. I'm also not butt-hurt if it turns out I'm wrong.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I really wish people would quit trying so hard to establish one back superior to the other. They are on the same team and both brings their own thing to the table.

It’s frustrating that the Cowboys won’t use Pollard like they did against the Bears.

That’s the problem and it hurts the team wasting so many plays on Zeke.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It’s frustrating that the Cowboys won’t use Pollard like they did against the Bears.

Not wasting. Buying time. Pollard can't do that one a regular basis.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Hilarious how dismissive and stupid people went just because they saw some deeper stats. Truly pathetic.

Pollard is simply playing better ball than Zeke. And for those who wasted your money on a Zeke jersey, get the hell over it and face reality.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not wasting. Buying time. Pollard can't do that one a regular basis.

Pollard can’t do what on a regular basis?

All of these myths and things we can’t measure we use to justify keeping Pollard off the field and Zeke on it.

All you have to do is watch the games and see there is a clear difference. Pollard is better and needs a larger role and Zeke needs to be off the field more. It hurts our team not playing Pollard more.

CWR

Reaction score
The source is Next Gen Stats that tracks and metrics is explained at the bottom of the graph.

Basically expected yards is determined by where the ball carrier gets the ball and where the defenders are positioned at that time.

I'm assuming defenses play a bit softer to protect the pass when Zeke is in because they don't fear him breaking a long one.

Defenses must respect the run more when Pollard is in.

Everyone knows all defenses simply "stack the box" because Dak. Blaaaa blaa bla

blueblood70

Reaction score

we dont play the bears 17 games.. :facepalm::muttley: Pollards got his roles zekes got his we are 6-2 leave the decisions to the pros, they got that..if it frustrates you buy and manage your own teams.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

He was used pretty much the same way the two previous games. He had two fewer carries against Detroit and three fewer carries against Philly. He had close to the same number of touches in all three games. 54 of his 132 rushing yards came on one play against Chicago. Every time he has a big game rushing everyone thinks he was used a lot more when he wasn’t.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Exactly.

Fans can be so divisive even when we are winning.

It is just absurd.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He was used pretty much the same way the two previous games. He had two fewer carries against Detroit and three fewer carries against Philly. He had close to the same number of touches in all three games. 54 of his 132 rushing yards came on one play against Chicago. Every time he has a big game rushing everyone thinks he was used a lot more when he wasn’t.

It’s not about the amount of Carrie’s its when those touches are given.

Pollard needs to be the guy starting most drives because he can actually get the offense going unlike Zeke.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s not about the amount of Carrie’s its when those touches are given.

Pollard needs to be the guy starting most drives because he can actually get the offense going unlike Zeke.

They gave him a carry on a third and 2 and he proceeded to lose 3 yards. He hasn’t been great on third and short situations. A few years ago in Philly with our season on the line he took a loss on a huge third and one.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They gave him a carry on a third and 2 and he proceeded to lose 3 yards. He hasn’t been great on third and short situations. A few years ago in Philly with our season on the line he took a loss on a huge third and one.

Read the title and first post of this thread.