Pollard

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
That pass was dog ****...Dak has not looked much improved in training camp.

I know mini camp supposedly he played lights out...not so much at TC

giphy.gif

McKDaddy

Reaction score
This thread is about Pollard.
Pollard has a chance to be the "shiny toy" in this offense. If they make defenses have to defend the other players on the field and let him exploit his man, ..... um, slice and dice. Think Az Hakim type threat.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Are you serious? Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning or freaking Pat Mahommes never missed a throw like that? Of course they have. Give Dak a chance for christs sake! He has the added weapon in his legs and he has proven that he is clutch and a great leader. Why can't anyone see that?

Exactly, and it's practice with a player that he hasn't played with once in a regular season or postseason game. It was a horrible throw, but it happens. I've got confidence that they'll fix it.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The Cowboys played Dime with Lewis covering Kamara. Lewis only played 8 snaps on defense but they were key snaps.

One of the side benefits to Richard's preference for big CBs is that it gives them more size against the run. The Nickel CB by position on the field is often right at the point of attack vs the run.

Anthony Brown showed some oddly freakish ability to take on blocks from OL and TEs last year. There were a couple of plays were he got perfect leverage with extended arms and pushed an OL backwards by 2 or 3 yards. It seemed to defy physics but I saw it on at least 2 occasions.

I digress. Back to Pollard, I think Kellen Moore wants to use him such that whatever the defense does it will be wrong. Pollard vs CB and they run with Pollard blocking or motion him into to the backfield to take a handoff. Pollard vs LB and they throw it to him.

I expect plays to have options based on those types of matchups and they either audible or use RPOs where part of the offense is executing a running play but a couple of the receiving options are executing a pass play. The QB passes or hands off based on the defensive alignment. A versatile runner/receiver/blocker gives the OC many options.
Lewis should be playing outside opposite byron. let chido and brown battle for the slot.

cern

Reaction score
adrenaline will cause a qb to throw the ball too far or a golfer to his the ball farther than normal. dak is excitable.

cern

Reaction score
Lewis should be playing outside opposite byron. let chido and brown battle for the slot.
lewis covered kamara like a blanket last year. no one else in the league was able to do that. he needs to be on the field. and I think chido's better than brown. all in all, we've got some pretty good d-backs after years of scando, carr, church and wilcox.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL QBs don’t miss throws like that. 32 Mil/yr for this?

Actually, they do. It's just a matter of the better ones miss it less. No QB is immune from missing throws. What we don't know is if that particular throw is indicative of how Dak has looked most of the time in camp or if it is an anomaly. A video of one play doesn't tell us that.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
This is what I got from this thread (Through 2 pages):

"This thread is about Pollard...which is why I commented on the QB and insulted others before saying anything else in this thread."

quickccc

Reaction score
I've seen 4.41 listed as his pro day. Where are you getting 4.3 from?

Ironically Demarco Murray reportedly ran a 4.41 at the NFL combine, but his during his NFL career, he never showed that consistent 4.4 burst and was more viewed as a workhorse than breakaway type.
Thus very likely why the Cowboys only saw him as a B-tier, serviceable workhorse back, only offered him a contract as such a serviceable B-tier back, and allowed him to walk as a FA if he wanted more elsewhere.

Great to have the guys that run a fast 40 at workout time, but its' a totally different tale to have to translate that 40 time speed to the playing field.
I'm really hoping Pollard will be as every bit as fast on the playing field as he was at his Pro day workout.

quickccc

Reaction score

Lewis probably should be kept in the inside slot role in a limited space, coverage area,, he cannot seem to be able to handle the speed guys outside on the flanks.
the one thing I can say about Lewis is he easily has the best ball skills of our CBs, he has a knack for seeing the ball in the air and making a play on it,
while the others wont even manage to turn their heads around to play the ball.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You can keep repeating that, but it doesn't make it true.
  • I don't really understand why you don't want to really know the truth about the team.
  • I think you could understand the truth if you wanted to do it.
  • Some people don't have the ability to understand football details under any condition but I think you could if you put aside emotions and put aside your desire to beat your chest and make bold proclamations.

Lewis should be given a chance and they should play the best performers.

I did an extensive game footage review of Lewis and Brown.
- There was NOT clear cut evidence that Lewis is better.
- There also was NOT clear cut evidence that Brown is better.

The coverage scheme depends on players playing with the scheme.
  • Lewis is still not consistently playing the Kris Richard style/technique.
  • Lewis didn't stay "over" the WR and got beat by a rookie UDFA.
  • If CBs get beat KR wants it to be with the CB over the WR such that he can make the tackle.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ironically Demarco Murray reportedly ran a 4.41 at the NFL combine, but his during his NFL career, he never showed that consistent 4.4 burst and was more viewed as a workhorse than breakaway type.
Thus very likely why the Cowboys only saw him as a B-tier, serviceable workhorse back, only offered him a contract as such a serviceable B-tier back, and allowed him to walk as a FA if he wanted more elsewhere.

Great to have the guys that run a fast 40 at workout time, but its' a totally different tale to have to translate that 40 time speed to the playing field.
I'm really hoping Pollard will be as every bit as fast on the playing field as he was at his Pro day workout.

Murray did things to a fairly extreme degree in an attempt to avoid hamstring injuries.
  • These things made him slower.
  • He drank an extreme amount of water starting 24 hours before the game.
  • He gained up to 15 pounds (according to him) of water weight.
  • He also didn't run at 100% speed intentionally.

Murray was 28 when he became a free agent after 2014.
- There is overwhelming data that shows most RBs decline significantly at age 28.
- The Cowboys didn't want to give a big contract to a 28 year old RB regardless of ability.