TRADED Porter traded to Cowboys (2027/6th round, 2028/2nd round)

Bingo. This team is not a Porter away from anything.
Not this year, but maybe next year or one of the next 3 or 4 years

and before you say it they didn't trade for him to let him go after this year. Yes, that is a possibility but it isn't the plan
 
So let's say we turn it around a little. The trade deadline is after week 9. The Cardinals will be out of it by then. Josh Sweat has like no guaranteed money after this year and AZ seemed to be rumored to being ready to move on but it seemed they couldn't or wouldn't trade him yet in the offseason. How much could he really bring back in a trade at this point? A 4th at this point for a half season rental?

Maybe we really go all in and try and help the pass rush at the deadline as well. For this year cap wise he'd cost us like 8/17 of his $9.8M salary and another $.5Mish in game day bonuses so a little over $5M or so. I could see it. Next year we cut him with no cap hit or trade him and try and recoup a pick. Now you have a pass rusher to go with the rest of your defense. Not sure IMO it would be smart because I still don't think we would be a SB team, but I'm not Jerry...
 
Imagine come playoff time our overmatched opponents will have to look at Revel Island on one side and Porter Peninsula on the other.

That will break you mentally.
 
His skills are naturally suited for press coverage because he’s big and physical.

His entire career he’s been playing in Tomlin’s Tampa 2 defense which is a zone.

The main tweak that Tomlin made was that he let Porter play at the line of scrimmage. It was “press zone” coverage but was still a zone with but sork man coverage mixed in, especially when the offense had an elite WR1 like Chase. This allowed Porter to be physical with receivers and jam them

Parker’s (and Fangio’s) defense typically has the CB line up with a bit of cushion and requires the CB to make reads post snaps. We’ll see if Parker tweaks his base scheme to take advantage of Porters specific skills.

He didn’t let Bland play press but Bland kinda sucks now. He might reconsider a bit with a better player at CB1
Thanks, this is solid insight. I'm a little jaded when it comes to adapting schemes to fit the players. Eberflus didn't even try and the jury is still out for Parker. If Porter is put in a position that fits his abilities, it's a decent move. I'm just not confident that will happen. He's a good talent. I'm not mad that he's on the team. I just don't see how his presence fixes the problems that we've seen.
 

Offensive coordinator Klayton Adams said he found out about the trade for Joey Porter Jr. via text message from his 16-year-old daughter. He was going through third down game planning.

Since he’s been here Adams has seen the Cowboys make three big trades (Micah Parsons, Quinnen Williams, Porter).

“I think it says the organization will do anything they can to help,” Adams said.
 
Thanks, this is solid insight. I'm a little jaded when it comes to adapting schemes to fit the players. Eberflus didn't even try and the jury is still out for Parker. If Porter is put in a position that fits his abilities, it's a decent move. I'm just not confident that will happen. He's a good talent. I'm not mad that he's on the team. I just don't see how his presence fixes the problems that we've seen.
Parker literally did this stuff with Quinyon Mitchell last season and Patrick Surtain before that.
 
Im not mad at the trade i think he will do good here in Dallas, but will he make a difference in Wins/Losses because we are in a complete defensive rebuild. Im concerned if he will want to be here next year if he doesnt get what he wants.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,007
Messages
14,656,687
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top