Twitter: Possible explanation from a physician for Jaylon Smith's regression

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think what upsets me more than anything is how the Cowboys got cute on draft day and selected Jaylon with a premium pick.

Jerry sure has a way of screwing up on round 2. As you said they try to be cute. It does not work.
I always said, they think they out smart everyone but really out dumb themselves. :laugh:

Last year they got lucky Diggs dropped and did it right. Hopefully the same happens this year with Joseph. Maybe they finally learned.

I did not like the pick at the time on Jaylon, because of the injury, knowing he would sit a year. 2018 looked like it was a good pick. Now we know. I still have hopes he can be decent in limited play this year. Mid to late last year he looked bigger and slow. He looks slow so far this year on the few plays I seen, but I do not watch him specifically every play.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Its his turn... there was Zeke, then Dak, and Amari, and XWoods, and ......i mean there is always someone. So try not taking it personal. There will be someone else later.
Oh idc at all lol reading through the threads is comical at times

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry sure has a way of screwing up on round 2. As you said they try to be cute. It does not work.
I always said, they think they out smart everyone but really out dumb themselves. :laugh:

Last year they got lucky Diggs dropped and did it right. Hopefully the same happens this year with Joseph. Maybe they finally learned.

I did not like the pick at the time on Jaylon, because of the injury, knowing he would sit a year. 2018 looked like it was a good pick. Now we know. I still have hopes he can be decent in limited play this year. Mid to late last year he looked bigger and slow. He looks slow so far this year on the few plays I seen, but I do not watch him specifically every play.
It seemed at the time that they were quite sure what they wanted to do.

They tried for Lynch the day before, and I know they wanted Ogbah but Cleveland snagged him.

That Lynch thing has always scared and bothered me. Its obviously easy to feel like we dodged a bullet....but if they really liked Lynch as Romos successor, they found that a 2nd and a 3rd was too much to pay??

plasticman

Reaction score
And yet, he was the 3rd leading tackler in the NFL last season. Think what he would have been if he never had that terrible injury in college.

He might be 70% of what he could have been and he knows it. He has been trying to make up the difference with determination, guts, and especially pride.

If he doesn't make it this season then that's simply the reality of injuries and playing in the NFL but no one should celebrate. This was a story of a man who refused to let his NFL dream die despite the circumstances.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

The head team physician for the Dallas Cowboys Football Dr. DANIEL E. COOPER, M.D. might have been too optimistic about Jaylon's prognosis. Drafting him in the 2nd round was a terrible reach. Extending him should have never been a consideration. The Cowboys really botched their 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2016 draft. Ramsey and Henry was the way to go.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but agreed on the 2nd round reach and extention

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
And yet, he was the 3rd leading tackler in the NFL last season. Think what he would have been if he never had that terrible injury in college.

He might be 70% of what he could have been and he knows it. He has been trying to make up the difference with determination, guts, and especially pride.

If he doesn't make it this season then that's simply the reality of injuries and playing in the NFL but no one should celebrate. This was a story of a man who refused to let his NFL dream die despite the circumstances.
THIS ^

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Its his turn... there was Zeke, then Dak, and Amari, and XWoods, and ......i mean there is always someone. So try not taking it personal. There will be someone else later.

I call it the Rob Petitti award. Prior winners include Petitti, Phil Costa, Jeff Heath, Tyrone Crawford

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

he was, 10 yards down field.......

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
With Jaylon I also wonder what type of preparation did he go through to get ready for the 2017 and 2018 seasons and what does he do now? I have a strong feelings its probably night and day.
So hard for you to admit a guy sucks isn’t it?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I don’t believe this at all. As dumb as the Cowboys are they don’t sign a handicapped player to a 60 million dollar deal. Smith looks unprepared and lacks drive. Every game he avoids contact on a few key plays. He clearly has no self awareness and is more interested in his stupid brand.

That’s the issue.

CWR

Reaction score
They are very impulsive with their own guys. They did the same thing with Crawford. Show something, think he'll explode so get him under contract sooner so you don't get burned if he turns into a stud and gets real expensive.

But in both cases it appears they banked on a guy with an injury issue.

And Miles Austin, Mb3, Scandrick as well. I'm not positive but I believe those are all guys who we paid too quickly thinking we'd save money in the long run. Then when we hold out we end up spending way too much. This organization has guessed wrong quite a few times. We've had some good deals too, but the bad ones stick out.

Flamma

Reaction score

The head team physician for the Dallas Cowboys Football Dr. DANIEL E. COOPER, M.D. might have been too optimistic about Jaylon's prognosis. Drafting him in the 2nd round was a terrible reach. Extending him should have never been a consideration. The Cowboys really botched their 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2016 draft. Ramsey and Henry was the way to go.

We could have used that hindsight in 2016.

Flamma

Reaction score
Jerry's medical experiments and gambles backfiring again . A wasted 2nd rounder from day 1 . And a costlier one with the doubling down contract last year. Baffling management of the talent and the cap.

Wait a minute. I can understand if someone says Dallas never should have drafted him. There were plenty of people against it at the time. What I don't get is the logic people are using that are against his extension. Hindsight doesn't count.

My memory could be failing me. I thought he had a good 2018. That's usually when you extend a player you plan on keeping around, after their 3rd rookie year. So what would be the logic at that time to not extend him?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I never understood the Cowboys hubris about Jaylon's overly optimistic prognosis. Many teams didn't even have Jaylon on their draft board at all. Taking him in the 2nd round didn't make any sense.
That was my major concern. Second round was WAY too high for him. Said it during the draft.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That was my major concern. Second round was WAY too high for him. Said it during the draft.
I mean we say that but we have no idea if he was high on someones else's board. I know at the time I Thought there was no way Jack and Jaylon would be taken that early but I for sure didn't see Jaylon going before Jack.