Possible running back ideas

rambo2

Reaction score
Honestly one guys not helping this team. I’d be more of a seller than a buyer. I’d trade one of Diggs/Bland for picks. We aren’t paying both anyway. We don’t have much else to trade after that. But I’d be open to all options to add picks.
That's right. Sitting on their hands isn't going to help.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think Steele is done. he has zero lateral movement. I have been harping that for a while, including last year...and I excused him last year because he was coming off injury....and I think Guyton would be a better RT and nothing wrong with putting a first round pick at RT spot...however, Jerry won't allow it....first he paid Steele so he is going to keep him until his contract runs out because jerry doesn't want to pay for a starting position twice (if he cuts them before their contract runs out, ends up in dead money). and Jerry won't allow his 80M contract sit on the bench......

so this charade will continue for a couple of more year.

I agree, but that's why I'm saying maybe we can sort of hide him at LG and put Guyton at RT, his natural position.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, I've spent the good part of the season being annoyed about our run game. However, we are 3-3. We have moved the ball okay, all things considered being 1 dimensional in the NFL. A big part of our problem, as stated, has been we can't run the ball, especially in the RedZone. The good news is that the trade deadline hasn't hit yet. There are some teams worse than us that have running backs they may not want anymore. Additionally, there are running backs on practice squads we can sign that don't even cost a draft pick. Here are some running back ideas that may not cost us much and could save our season:

1. Travis Etienne Jacksonville - Given the emergence of Tank Bigsby, it's possible the Jaguars may be willing to move on from Etienne. Additionally, the Jaguars are a bad football team overall. However, Etienne is a bright spot on their team. I think we could probably make a deal for him with a low draft pick. I could see him costing around a 6 round pick. Probably would need to be conditional for a 5th. I think he'd be worth a look.
  2. Chubba Hubbard Carolina - one of the few bright spots for the Panthers, who will not go anywhere. I wanted him in the draft, and I could see him being a cheap deal too.
  3. Kene Nwangwu Jets Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kene_Nwangwu) - this wouldn't even cost us a draft pick. Here's a big back who we could sign today off the Jets Practice. I could see him being a player we would need to ease in, but is big enough that can become a RedZone weapon.
  4. Ty Davis-Price Eagles Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Davis-Price) - a big back we could sign off the Eagles practice squad. Could be an option, like Nwangwu, that we could mix into our rotation at RB.
  5. Tyjae Spears RB Titans (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyjae_Spears) - the Titans are going no where. I wanted him in the draft in 2023. He's probably wouldn't cost much in draft picks. Heck, we might even be able to do a player swap.
  6. Rhamondre Stevenson Patriots - he's their starting RB, so he might cost a 4 or 5 but the Patriots are probably going to enter a big rebuild. Might be an option for us.
These are just 6 possible options I think could be good additions to our team. There are many more I could mention, but, if Jerry can pick up the phone, I think there could be a deal made for these running backs. Not to mention that you can claim players off practice squads for no draft picks. I think these backs would stand a chance at improving our running game.
If they come with a couple o line that can block we are good to go.

Rewatch the Detroit game and keep your eyes on the two offensive lines. You'll see z dramatic difference.

Until you fix that....don't bother with another rb.

BKBDAD

Reaction score
So, I've spent the good part of the season being annoyed about our run game. However, we are 3-3. We have moved the ball okay, all things considered being 1 dimensional in the NFL. A big part of our problem, as stated, has been we can't run the ball, especially in the RedZone. The good news is that the trade deadline hasn't hit yet. There are some teams worse than us that have running backs they may not want anymore. Additionally, there are running backs on practice squads we can sign that don't even cost a draft pick. Here are some running back ideas that may not cost us much and could save our season:

1. Travis Etienne Jacksonville - Given the emergence of Tank Bigsby, it's possible the Jaguars may be willing to move on from Etienne. Additionally, the Jaguars are a bad football team overall. However, Etienne is a bright spot on their team. I think we could probably make a deal for him with a low draft pick. I could see him costing around a 6 round pick. Probably would need to be conditional for a 5th. I think he'd be worth a look.
  2. Chubba Hubbard Carolina - one of the few bright spots for the Panthers, who will not go anywhere. I wanted him in the draft, and I could see him being a cheap deal too.
  3. Kene Nwangwu Jets Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kene_Nwangwu) - this wouldn't even cost us a draft pick. Here's a big back who we could sign today off the Jets Practice. I could see him being a player we would need to ease in, but is big enough that can become a RedZone weapon.
  4. Ty Davis-Price Eagles Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Davis-Price) - a big back we could sign off the Eagles practice squad. Could be an option, like Nwangwu, that we could mix into our rotation at RB.
  5. Tyjae Spears RB Titans (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyjae_Spears) - the Titans are going no where. I wanted him in the draft in 2023. He's probably wouldn't cost much in draft picks. Heck, we might even be able to do a player swap.
  6. Rhamondre Stevenson Patriots - he's their starting RB, so he might cost a 4 or 5 but the Patriots are probably going to enter a big rebuild. Might be an option for us.
These are just 6 possible options I think could be good additions to our team. There are many more I could mention, but, if Jerry can pick up the phone, I think there could be a deal made for these running backs. Not to mention that you can claim players off practice squads for no draft picks. I think these backs would stand a chance at improving our running game.
But they still need to block for whoever is back there! I’ve noticed a huge drop off from Martin this season & they also start 2 rookies! If there isn’t better production from the guys up front, it won’t matter who’s in the backfield!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If they come with a couple o line that can block we are good to go.

Rewatch the Detroit game and keep your eyes on the two offensive lines. You'll see z dramatic difference.

Until you fix that....don't bother with another rb.

No doubt, but I think the big problem there is Steele, but we probably have to play him with orders from the top. I think the players are out of place. I think we need an oline like this for the rest of the season:

Tyler Smith at LT, Steele at LG (benched if needed for Bass), Beebe at C, Martin at RG, and Guyton at RT (his natural position). I think putting Guyton at his natural position helps his development better, and he's not facing the other team's best pass rusher constantly. I'd also try to poach this guy from the Ravens PS in place of Waletzko.

Malaesala "Sala" Aumavae–Laulu (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaesala_Aumavae–Laulu)

The Ravens oline is good, and I'd be curious how he does with our team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
But they still need to block for whoever is back there! I’ve noticed a huge drop off from Martin this season & they also start 2 rookies! If there isn’t better production from the guys up front, it won’t matter who’s in the backfield!

Right, but wouldn't having a better rushing attack help the rookies develop?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
True, and we probably should inventory what we can deal. Bland probably would demand a lot. We could probably try to deal Cooks, and see what else we have. Maybe deal Parsons for a big haul (though, maybe we could rebuild our defence around him).
I certainly don’t want to be moving on from Bland. Cooks is on the final year of his deal and really hasn’t done much so no one would likely be interested in trading for him. Parsons is the player we need to trade. He’s having a down year and teams have figured out how to neutralize him. His best years could already be behind him. He’ll be looking for at least $36 million per season if not close to $40 million annually. We could get a couple of first round picks for him.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I certainly don’t want to be moving on from Bland. Cooks is on the final year of his deal and really hasn’t done much so no one would likely be interested in trading for him. Parsons is the player we need to trade. He’s having a down year and teams have figured out how to neutralize him. His best years could already be behind him. He’ll be looking for at least $36 million per season if not close to $40 million annually. We could get at least a couple of first round picks for him.

I mean, there are teams that are WR desperate. We gave up I think a 5th for Cooks. I could see getting a 5th back for him. I hear you with Bland, but I'd at least listen to offers. I will probably dive more into these ideas next Tuesday following the San Francisco game.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
maybe....I am ok with trying that. I think guyton is just better at RT, perhaps for the next couple of years

Right, but, especially if we're not going anywhere this year, why not try it? He can't be worse than Steele there, and it's his natural position. I think then putting Steele at LG probably helps hide him a bit (unless we can get something for him in a trade, and I'd love for us to shop him, more for a discussion next week).

Chasing6

Reaction score
And I want that with Jeanty. And, if we lose to the 49ers, I plan to write a thread of players we should trade for more draft picks and what I think we could get for them.
If this organization is serious about winning they have to explore trading Micah or at least see what they could get for him.

If we can't stop the run he is becomes an average player.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If this organization is serious about winning they have to explore trading Micah or at least see what they could get for him.

If we can't stop the run he is becomes an average player.

Oh, no doubt, and I think we can probably get at least 2 firsts for him, especially from a team like Detroit.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I mean, there are teams that are WR desperate. We gave up I think a 5th for Cooks. I could see getting a 5th back for him. I hear you with Bland, but I'd at least listen to offers. I will probably dive more into these ideas next Tuesday following the San Francisco game.
He’s done very little this year and he’s on the final year of his deal. It would be silly to trade him now and just give up on the rest of the season. That’s sending a bad message to the team to just lay down and fold the rest of the way. Even though the remainder of the season doesn’t look very promising we’re still in the race. If we get blown out by San Francisco, then we could start talking about moving on from guys like Cooks but McCarthy is battling for his coaching job as is the rest of the staff. If we were to start throwing in the towel and trading away players, it’s pretty much adios for him and the rest of his coaching staff. Jerry still has to get butts in the seats on game day and if we decide to pack it in before the halfway point of the season, the fans could stay away.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He’s done very little this year and he’s on the final year of his deal. It would be silly to trade him now and just give up on the rest of the season. That’s sending a bad message to the team to just lay down and fold the rest of the way. Even though the remainder of the season doesn’t look very promising we’re still in the race. If we get blown out by San Francisco, then we could start talking about moving on from guys like Cooks but McCarthy is battling for his coaching job as is the rest of the staff. If we were to start throwing in the towel and trading away players, it’s pretty much adios for him and the rest of his coaching staff. Jerry still has to get butts in the seats on game day and if we decide to pack it in before the halfway point of the season, the fans could stay away.

Right, but I think if we lose and with the remainder of the season, it may be time to start the selling.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well now would be the time to make that trade. They believe they are a SB win now team.

I agree, and I would do that before they get Crosby. I know Jerry probably won't do it, but we are in a race with Vegas to try to sell Parsons. Might actually write the trade thread now.

exciter

Reaction score

Khalil Herbert!

Unlikely Panthers would walk away from Hubbard for compensation they should be willing to give up for a player who will be a FA!

Etienne… is an often injured, overhyped 3rd down back!

Chasing6

Reaction score
I agree, and I would do that before they get Crosby. I know Jerry probably won't do it, but we are in a race with Vegas to try to sell Parsons. Might actually write the trade thread now.
Maybe we lease him out for the rest of the season. Trade him to Detroit for a 1st. Then after the season they trade him back to us for a 3rd.

Could be a win-win. Doubt Detroit could resign Micah.

So they send us 2 number ones. We give them 1 back and a 3rd after the season is over.

exciter

Reaction score
Yep, and after watching Cook with the Jets last year I don’t think he has much more left than Elliott.

I really don’t see them dealing for a RB, they think they are set.

Besides, the way they want to operate, they don’t have enough draft picks as it is. Can’t be giving away any more at this point.

Personally I’d try to move Martin and Diggs and roll with Bass at RG and Carson/Bland at CB, but there’s probably a better shot of Jerry stepping down before dealing a player whose laundry hangs in the gift shop.
Much more than Zeke?
He looked like Zeke with a cinder block chained to his ankle!