Post an obscure and pointless fact

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's all still theoretical until they can physically observe or recreate the process. Scientists have had to rethink their theories too many times for me to just take their word for it. I'll say they're probably right, but I'm only about 87.336% confident in them.
Yep, it's like that coffee thingy. It's good for you, no, it's bad for you, no, it's good for you which is where we are now until August when it's bad for us again.

That's why I don't pay attention to them on having too many cocktails a day, pretty soon that will be not only good for you but required to get health insurance.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yep, it's like that coffee thingy. It's good for you, no, it's bad for you, no, it's good for you which is where we are now until August when it's bad for us again.

That's why I don't pay attention to them on having too many cocktails a day, pretty soon that will be not only good for you but required to get health insurance.
Oh, cocktails are required!!!!!!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
It's all still theoretical until they can physically observe or recreate the process. Scientists have had to rethink their theories too many times for me to just take their word for it. I'll say they're probably right, but I'm only about 87.336% confident in them.

They pretty much know exactly how it works.

Another reason they know is when two hydrogen atoms fuse together creating helium. There is leftover particles. (ie, two hydrogen atoms are heavier than a single helium atom) Those left over particles are converted to pure energy in the form of gamma rays. (the strongest electromagnetic wave) If those gamma rays just straight left the Sun, that would wash the Earth in a huge amount of gamma radiation. If that happened, we wouldn't exist. Instead, those gamma ray photons bounce around inside the Sun's soup passing that extra energy off. As they keep making their way toward the surface, the strength of that electromagnetic energy is defused.

Gamma rays, x-rays, even ultra-violet aren't visible to the human eye. (though some bugs can see it) Yet, notice how bright the Sun is? That brightness is those same gamma rays that were released just defused down into the visible spectrum!

Obviously, there are lower power electromagnetic waves also that aren't visible to the human eye. (infrared, microwave, and even radio waves) Around the ultra-violet wave length is where they become ionizing radiation. Not all ultra-violet light will harm you, but of course. Some have high enough energy that they will cause a sunburn.

Here is graphic that shows the energy level of an electromagnetic wave. The higher the frequency, the more energy the wave has and the more dangerous it is to humans.

a958j.jpg

EDIT: Here is a link that discusses it also.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They pretty much know exactly how it works.

Another reason they know is when two hydrogen atoms fuse together creating helium. There is leftover particles. (ie, two hydrogen atoms are heavier than a single helium atom) Those left over particles are converted to pure energy in the form of gamma rays. (the strongest electromagnetic wave) If those gamma rays just straight left the Sun, that would wash the Earth in a huge amount of gamma radiation. If that happened, we wouldn't exist. Instead, those gamma ray photons bounce around inside the Sun's soup passing that extra energy off. As they keep making their way toward the surface, the strength of that electromagnetic energy is defused.

Gamma rays, x-rays, even ultra-violet aren't visible to the human eye. (though some bugs can see it) Yet, notice how bright the Sun is? That brightness is those same gamma rays that were released just defused down into the visible spectrum!

Obviously, there are lower power electromagnetic waves also that aren't visible to the human eye. (infrared, microwave, and even radio waves) Around the ultra-violet wave length is where they become ionizing radiation. Not all ultra-violet light will harm you, but of course. Some have high enough energy that they will cause a sunburn.

Here is graphic that shows the energy level of an electromagnetic wave. The higher the frequency, the more energy the wave has and the more dangerous it is to humans.

a958j.jpg

EDIT: Here is a link that discusses it also.
Okay, so they have very strong evidence to support their stance. You've got me up to 97.76% confident. :laugh::thumbup:

The "Assumptions" paragraph in the article is exactly where my skepticism (limited as it is) comes from. They can't say with absolute certainty that there aren't as yet unseen conditions in the center of the sun, therefore, when it comes right down to it, they're guessing, to a degree. I believe they're probably correct, but that's what everyone thought when the Earth was the center of the universe.

Last edited:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
"Horses were introduced to North America by the Spaniards."
Dwight-dwight-schrute-27093628-268-400.jpg

False. Horses originated in North America millions of years ago and crossed into Asia. So they were merely "reintroduced" by the Spaniards.[/Dwight Shrute].
LoL, I had seen this post in it's originality,,, & knew different,,, they were actually hunted to extinction on this continent from my understanding eons before man rediscovered the harnessing of wind to ply the seaso_O

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
LoL, I had seen this post in it's originality,,, & knew different,,, they were actually hunted to extinction on this continent from my understanding eons before man rediscovered the harnessing of wind to ply the seaso_O
Are you saying that the migrant hunters from Asia killed off the native horses? If so, I don't believe that to be true. The horses had already spread into Asia (like the wolves) probably millions of years earlier and most of the ones still in North America got demolished by a catastrophic event (like all of the other megafauna in North America like the Wooly Mammoth, Giant ground sloth, Wooly Rhinoceros, Sabre-toothed Lions, etc.) around 11K years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas_impact_hypothesis

. For the migrants to wipe out all of the animals in North America through hunting would've been just mathematically hard to do. And if they had (wiped them out from coast to coast) then there would've been settlements found on the east coast. From my understanding (which is admittedly limited), the several waves of Asian migrants moved down the west coast of North America, Central America and then, finally, South America (all while staying somewhat close to the coastal areas).

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Are you saying that the migrant hunters from Asia killed off the native horses? If so, I don't believe that to be true. The horses had already spread into Asia (like the wolves) probably millions of years earlier and most of the ones still in North America got demolished by a catastrophic event (like all of the other megafauna in North America like the Wooly Mammoth, Giant ground sloth, Wooly Rhinoceros, Sabre-toothed Lions, etc.) around 11K years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas_impact_hypothesis

. For the migrants to wipe out all of the animals in North America through hunting would've been just mathematically hard to do. And if they had (wiped them out from coast to coast) then there would've been settlements found on the east coast. From my understanding (which is admittedly limited), the several waves of Asian migrants moved down the west coast of North America, Central America and then, finally, South America (all while staying somewhat close to the coastal areas).
Found it interesting, so I just read up on it a bit.

There were horses in NAmerica previously, and they did become extinct. The reasons are still being argued. Could have been the ice age. Could have been climate change. Could have actually been hunted to extinction.

However, they've found the fossils, so they do know they were here prior to the Spanish reintroducing them.