Post an obscure and pointless fact

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have yet to discover anything here about armadillos to endear them to me. Fleas and leprosy are on my "Avoid List". They're still Possum on the Half Shell to me.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I have seen many interviews with guitarists and their respect for the instrument, excluding Townsend's antics, is almost of a religious nature. They will try to rescue a guitar as if it is an animal they love.

One of my favorite John Hiatt songs is "Perfectly Good Guitars" and I was never a fan of any musicians destroying any instruments for show. I always thought the Who's music was first rate, they didn't need that bit of "showmanship". But karma came to visit Townsend with him becoming deaf and his shoulder, elbow and wrist all screwed up from "beating his best friend".

I agree completely. I cringe whenever I see a musician destroy an instrument onstage. I don't care if it's a cheap Squire Strat. I'm always like, nnnnnooooooo! Don't do that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree completely. I cringe whenever I see a musician destroy an instrument onstage. I don't care if it's a cheap Squire Strat. I'm always like, nnnnnooooooo! Don't do that.
Yep, how about just telling the audience to pretend they destroyed it and donate it to some kid that can't afford an instrument. There's enough collateral destruction in our world, don't need to create more.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yep, how about just telling the audience to pretend they destroyed it and donate it to some kid that can't afford an instrument. There's enough collateral destruction in our world, don't need to create more.

That would be perfect. Even a cheap guitar can find a home. My first electric was a Les Paul copy that I got for $100 from a classified ad in 1978. I was thrilled to have it. For a copy, it was a good basic starter guitar. The previous owner had put a Dimarzio humbucker in the bridge position.

Xelda

Reaction score

Just another reason why soccer hasn't taken off in the U.S.. When NFL players get down on the turf, they look like they're stretching. They never look like it's nap time at a day care center.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's an Elvis fact: His second-to-last show before he died was right here where I live in Omaha, NE.
I was not only in Shreveport the day he died but was calling on KWKH, a client, the radio station that launched his career. I cannot recall the gentleman's name that was really the one that went against the grain and was behind putting him on the station but he came to the station and was a real emotional mess. The GM told me Elvis had stayed in contact with him throughout his career and never forgot those that helped him. He sent him birthday cards, letters and Christmas presents and would periodically call him just to talk to him as if he was Elvis' father. They had that kind of relationship.

Whether or not you are a fan or not, the last doc I saw about him was eye opening. Not much was written about how he really influenced his own music, although he didn't write it, and had a lot of that locked in his head. It was really interesting to hear the top studio musicians of that time talk about Elvis leading them where he wanted to go. I had always seen him as more of a song stylist performer like Sinatra but he had vision of where he wanted to go and the sound in his head.

And speaking of music docs, and I was, the last one on The Beatles was really eye opening for me. I had always assumed Lennon was the real musical drive behind their movement and my least favorite one was McCartney. Although I did get his Classical release, Standing Stone, and that should have clued me in. That whole move from where they were to where Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour took them, with Rubber Soul and Revolver plating the seeds, was really Paul and George steered more of that than John.

I saw these two docs back to back and was enlightened after being in the dark for over 50 years which just goes to show you young people are ignorant. You thought I was going to say "you're never too old to learn", didn't you? Naaaaaah, they'll revoke my Codger Card if I do that.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I was not only in Shreveport the day he died but was calling on KWKH, a client, the radio station that launched his career. I cannot recall the gentleman's name that was really the one that went against the grain and was behind putting him on the station but he came to the station and was a real emotional mess. The GM told me Elvis had stayed in contact with him throughout his career and never forgot those that helped him. He sent him birthday cards, letters and Christmas presents and would periodically call him just to talk to him as if he was Elvis' father. They had that kind of relationship.

Whether or not you are a fan or not, the last doc I saw about him was eye opening. Not much was written about how he really influenced his own music, although he didn't write it, and had a lot of that locked in his head. It was really interesting to hear the top studio musicians of that time talk about Elvis leading them where he wanted to go. I had always seen him as more of a song stylist performer like Sinatra but he had vision of where he wanted to go and the sound in his head.

And speaking of music docs, and I was, the last one on The Beatles was really eye opening for me. I had always assumed Lennon was the real musical drive behind their movement and my least favorite one was McCartney. Although I did get his Classical release, Standing Stone, and that should have clued me in. That whole move from where they were to where Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour took them, with Rubber Soul and Revolver plating the seeds, was really Paul and George steered more of that than John.

I saw these two docs back to back and was enlightened after being in the dark for over 50 years which just goes to show you young people are ignorant. You thought I was going to say "you're never too old to learn", didn't you? Naaaaaah, they'll revoke my Codger Card if I do that.
highly recommend the book Elvis:A Life In Music by Ernst Jorgensen...covers every recording session from '53 to "76....best Elvis book ever written.
Elvis' vision began in '53 and he continued to chase it.
I still say his greatest session was the Nashville Marathon in June of '70...recorded 35 songs in 3-4 nights....he was the session leader....relaxed and havin' fun...recording free wheelin' and unquestionably "live".
Best album from that session:Elvis Country.
Best Song:I Really Don't Want To Know.
Best Single:You Don't Have To Say You Love Me/Patch It Up.

Xelda

Reaction score
I was in Shreveport the day Elvis died, too! My cousin walked up to me at work and said "Elvis died". I said "No, he didn't" and went about my business. I later learned it was true. So hard to believe that such a bright light was snuffed out way too soon.

@CouchCoach Paul wanted his name first on one of their biggest hits that he'd written. Yesterday was the song, if I remember correctly. He had to go through Yoko to try and get it changed to McCartney/Lennon but she denied him.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

No need to take away your Codger Card. You'll forget where you put it soon enough.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I was in Shreveport the day Elvis died, too! My cousin walked up to me at work and said "Elvis died". I said "No, he didn't" and went about my business. I later learned it was true. So hard to believe that such a bright light was snuffed out way too soon.

@CouchCoach Paul wanted his name first on one of their biggest hits that he'd written. Yesterday was the song, if I remember correctly. He had to go through Yoko to try and get it changed to McCartney/Lennon but she denied him.
I have his concert in '75 from Shreveport....great concert.During the show he referenced the hayride.

kskboys

Reaction score
Raccoon can drown a dog in two inches [five centimeters] of water just by holding its nose under water.
Had to jump in the creek in 20 degree weather to save my raccoon dog. I saw the method. The raccoon climbed up on my dog's back in the water, and literally grabbed the dog's nose and was pushing it under water. The dog is defenseless in this situation.

Saw many dog/raccoon fights in shallow water, however, and the raccoon lost every time. Not sure how the raccoon would be able to pull the stunt in shallow water, as the dog's mouth is higher up and could just reach down and get a kill hold on the raccoon's neck.

Edit: Maybe a smaller dog unused to fighting?

Last edited:

Xelda

Reaction score
I have his concert in '75 from Shreveport....great concert.During the show he referenced the hayride.
Van Halen used to start their concerts here at the Hirsh Colosseum because we were deemed to have the worst acoustics in the country. They said if they could sound good here, they'd sound great everywhere else. Keep that in mind and have some compassion on Elvis for that concert.