Post Draft Analysis

cnuball21

Reaction score
After fuming Friday night after our 1st 2 picks I took some time to digest our draft and think on it as a whole.

2: Hill - arguably the most disappointing picks of the draft for me. I see Hill as an athletic kid that'll be best suited as a nickel / dime rusher at the next level. He went to a small school and struggled to anchor against the run so it's essentially another Collins type player WITH character concerns. Reach on the talent of the player and you add in the character stuff left me pretty disappointed. Add in the fact that were some great talents left on the board when we picked makes it even more frustrating.

3: McGovern: we have an all pro G and we just drafted a top 50 talent last year to play G. And before you tell me the plan is to move Williams out to OT and cut ties with Collins, please remember Williams' scouting report said he lacks length and lateral quickness to play OT at the next level. I actually like the value of the talent here, but it doesn't make sense for now or next year. I wouldn't have preferred OL at all, but at least a natural OT would've made more sense.

4: Pollard: really like the player and the type of value he can bring to the O. I see him as a poor mans Curtis Samuel that can give us some return value. I think he's Austin's eventual replacement, but I think we over drafted and could've had him in the 5th if not the 6th.

5: M.Jackson: this is probably my favorite pick of the draft. I though he could go as early as the 3rd. Good speed with good length, and had a passer rating of 36 when targeted last year. Great developmental kid for Richard but lacks a little bit in transition so might need to stick to press in a zone type scheme.

5. J. Jackson: Meh...below average athlete but solid production. He looks ok on tape and produced just don't know if he has enough juice at the next level.

6: Wilson: I've got nothing...literally haven't heard of him until we drafted him.

7: Weber / Jelks: I think Weber was slotted to go late so I'm good with the pick. Should be a competent backup to Zeke and I think he's better than what we have. Jelks is another good developmental guy and someone I thought would go sooner. A bit of a tweener - but a great first step and great length so will create good competition on the DL.

All in all, I feel like we reached early and made an OL pick that doesn't make much sense and did good late and with UDFAs. I really like Wise and think he can be a solid nickel rusher in a few years.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
After fuming Friday night after our 1st 2 picks I took some time to digest our draft and think on it as a whole.

2: Hill - arguably the most disappointing picks of the draft for me. I see Hill as an athletic kid that'll be best suited as a nickel / dime rusher at the next level. He went to a small school and struggled to anchor against the run so it's essentially another Collins type player WITH character concerns. Reach on the talent of the player and you add in the character stuff left me pretty disappointed. Add in the fact that were some great talents left on the board when we picked makes it even more frustrating.

3: McGovern: we have an all pro G and we just drafted a top 50 talent last year to play G. And before you tell me the plan is to move Williams out to OT and cut ties with Collins, please remember Williams' scouting report said he lacks length and lateral quickness to play OT at the next level. I actually like the value of the talent here, but it doesn't make sense for now or next year. I wouldn't have preferred OL at all, but at least a natural OT would've made more sense.

4: Pollard: really like the player and the type of value he can bring to the O. I see him as a poor mans Curtis Samuel that can give us some return value. I think he's Austin's eventual replacement, but I think we over drafted and could've had him in the 5th if not the 6th.

5: M.Jackson: this is probably my favorite pick of the draft. I though he could go as early as the 3rd. Good speed with good length, and had a passer rating of 36 when targeted last year. Great developmental kid for Richard but lacks a little bit in transition so might need to stick to press in a zone type scheme.

5. J. Jackson: Meh...below average athlete but solid production. He looks ok on tape and produced just don't know if he has enough juice at the next level.

6: Wilson: I've got nothing...literally haven't heard of him until we drafted him.

7: Weber / Jelks: I think Weber was slotted to go late so I'm good with the pick. Should be a competent backup to Zeke and I think he's better than what we have. Jelks is another good developmental guy and someone I thought would go sooner. A bit of a tweener - but a great first step and great length so will create good competition on the DL.

All in all, I feel like we reached early and made an OL pick that doesn't make much sense and did good late and with UDFAs. I really like Wise and think he can be a solid nickel rusher in a few years.

I think we're about on the same page but I'm more optimistic on Hill. From what I gather, he's not great anchoring against the run and he had a bad attitude after being forced to 2gap before being drafted.

Moving to 3T where he just has to disrupt should solve both problems. I might be wrong but I think he ended up on one of the few teams where he can reach his potential.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think we're about on the same page but I'm more optimistic on Hill. From what I gather, he's not great anchoring against the run and he had a bad attitude after being forced to 2gap before being drafted.

Moving to 3T where he just has to disrupt should solve both problems. I might be wrong but I think he ended up on one of the few teams where he can reach his potential.

My problem with "just having to disrupt" basically means he's a one sided player that just gives you some pass rush ability. You can get that in the 3rd and 4th.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

:facepalm: You lost me on the 2nd pick. Dallas rotates their dline players. They’re all starters on game day and so will this kid. Also, how often have you seen the defense get pressure up the middle? Not often. This guy has the skills to Change that. What do QB’s hate the most? Pressure up the middle.

cnuball21

Reaction score
:facepalm: You lost me on the 2nd pick. Dallas rotates their dline players. They’re all starters on game day and so will this kid. Also, how often have you seen the defense get pressure up the middle? Not often. This guy has the skills to Change that. What do QB’s hate the most? Pressure up the middle.

I actually thought the DTs we had last year were pretty decent up the middle with pass rush. But what does it matter if you can't stop the run? We were exposed by playoff caliber OLs last year in IND and LAR and did nothing to fix it up front.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I actually thought the DTs we had last year were pretty decent up the middle with pass rush. But what does it matter if you can't stop the run? We were exposed by playoff caliber OLs last year in IND and LAR and did nothing to fix it up front.
Agree Woods n Collins are still starters. At most, they improved the rotation... translation DAL got arguably better backups.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agree Woods n Collins are still starters. At most, they improved the rotation... translation DAL got arguably better backups.

Meanwhile...3 Ss on the board available that could likely been day 1 starters.

I didn't want a WR, but could've been cool with Metcalf that late as well just due to the talent.

bodi

Reaction score
McGovern: we have an all pro G and we just drafted a top 50 talent last year to play G. And before you tell me the plan is to move Williams out to OT and cut ties with Collins, please remember Williams' scouting report said he lacks length and lateral quickness to play OT at the next level. I actually like the value of the talent here, but it doesn't make sense for now or next year. I wouldn't have preferred OL at all, but at least a natural OT would've made more sense

I see McGovern: more as a BU center in case Fred does not come back

I am sorry I just don't get this we are cutting ties with Collins never have

I will have to see it to believe it

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Iioka

cnuball21

Reaction score
McGovern: we have an all pro G and we just drafted a top 50 talent last year to play G. And before you tell me the plan is to move Williams out to OT and cut ties with Collins, please remember Williams' scouting report said he lacks length and lateral quickness to play OT at the next level. I actually like the value of the talent here, but it doesn't make sense for now or next year. I wouldn't have preferred OL at all, but at least a natural OT would've made more sense

I see McGovern: more as a BU center in case Fred does not come back

I am sorry I just don't get this we are cutting ties with Collins never have

I will have to see it to believe it

So we drafted a bunch of backups lol

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
My problem with "just having to disrupt" basically means he's a one sided player that just gives you some pass rush ability. You can get that in the 3rd and 4th.

We have tried 3rd and 4th round picks and none of them have stood out.

That's what they ask the 3T to do and when it works it's David Irving. They believe this guy can do it. Seems like a good fit from what I've read.

To be clear, I'm not predicting he will produce like Irving did.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Agreed, but my bigger problem is he’s a 3rd/4th round talent for a lot of analysts.

So not only did we draft a kid that will likely struggle against the run, we reached for him.

My big problem is we took him at 58...I’d be ok at 90.

rambo2

Reaction score
Meanwhile...3 Ss on the board available that could likely been day 1 starters.

I didn't want a WR, but could've been cool with Metcalf that late as well just due to the talent.
It doesn't matter who the safeties are when the qb is on the ground.

rambo2

Reaction score
Agreed, but my bigger problem is he’s a 3rd/4th round talent for a lot of analysts.

So not only did we draft a kid that will likely struggle against the run, we reached for him.

He wouldn't be there at 90.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score

I'd be happier with him at 90 too but I dont think he lasts that long and I think what he can bring in this particular defense is worth it.

Time will tell, I'm wrong as often as right. I'm happy to see all the new bodies at DT either way

visionary

Reaction score

That's what they ask the 3T to do and when it works it's David Irving. They believe this guy can do it. Seems like a good fit from what I've read.

To be clear, I'm not predicting he will produce like Irving did.

So if we're reaching for a 3/4 rd talent in rd 2 his talent suddenly increases because of where we drafted him?

Lol

You're in a roll today buddy
I would recommend staying at home so you dont hurt yourself

visionary

Reaction score

Great write up

It's possible Hill develops into a good player but the process is still broken