Post Draft Analysis

Landryhat73

Reaction score
My thoughts on the Cowboys Draft

1- Mazi Smith- I'm cool with it. He will do the dirty work and clog the trenches.

2- Luke Schoomaker- I'm OK with it. Bigger target at TE. Can do it all and won't have to be replaced by a better blocker or receiver on plays.

3- DeMarvion Overshown- Good athlete paired with Parsons could be flying around the field.

4- Villami Fehoko- Not happy because other players who were still available. Not a bad player but with a crowded edge depth here in BIG D. I don't see him anywhere as a starter in the future.

5- Asim Richards- I like him. He can play OT or OG.

6- Eric Scott- Finally competition for scrubs Kelvin Joseph & Nashon Wright.

6- Deuce Vaughn- Not digging grabbing a Hobbit. Hope he proves me wrong. Front Office Dad works for the Cowboys. So I believe a bad pick. The teammates will say " Daddy got you your job". Liability if he has to pick up a blitz..

7- Jalen Brooks- Meh!! I think he will likely get lost in our crowded WR depth. I actually like UDFA Jalen Moreno- Cropper to make the roster before him.

UDFA
Like to make the team

Jalen Moreno- Cropper
Earl Bostick
Princeton Fant
Isiah Land
Durrell Johnson
Fehoko is going to end up at 3T - already in the 280

Gambit

Reaction score
The Cowboys went into the draft with offensive playmakers being the biggest reason we didn’t make a playoff run.

I could break down each pick but to make it short and sweet we drafted a pass blocking TE, a 5’5 RB (who I do like) and a 7th round WR.

Incredibly disappointing IMO. I always talk about talent over need, but if you’re going to reach I at least wish we would’ve done it more so on offensive play makers early and often.
We traded 2023 draft capital for Brandon Cook, need to factor that in to your equation.

Blitzen

Reaction score
With the the time and effort many of us put in throughout the offseason process and to get this result, it makes many of us so upset:

-I feel they reached on every single pick, expect Vaughn in the 6th rd, who I think was just picked cause of his Dad working as a scout with the team.
-MM should be furious as his offense needed more weapons and had real holes to fill at LG, RB, TE, WR and all he got was a blocking TE.
-Dan Quinn got multiple picks for his defense that was considered good already, they must trust him more then their HC. Believe they are giving the coaches too much weight again picking the players and not allowing the scouts to do their job.
-We all know this class flat out stinks, where the team didn't improve at all, which is very surprising based on prior drafts.
-Maybe 1 or 2 players surprise, but this will get MM fired and all blame will be pointed at Dak, where it shouldn't be.
The team had the 4th highest points per game the past season. Maybe Dak has to perform better in a game against a great defense rather than whining about the lack of superstar weapons at every position needed to score more than 12 points in a game. Good grief-the apologists. He was the biggest reason why the offense choked against SF.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We traded 2023 draft capital for Brandon Cook, need to factor that in to your equation.
Yup - I’ve mentioned him as a home run pickup.

But we need young playmakers to add to the roster too.

Gambit

Reaction score
Agreed. We needed help and speed on offense and didn't get any.

I love Deuce, but he's a role player. Schoonmaker is a 25 yr old rookie whose most productive season yielded 400 yds.

In a nutshell, we wasted our premium picks in 2 and 3 on niche players when we needed more from this draft.
I see we got help on the offensive side.
Yup - I’ve mentioned him as a home run pickup.

But we need young playmakers to add to the roster too.
We added 2 in draft. We had holes at LB and DT too, those got filled, added a dynamic rn stopper in Fehoko, shored up TE room with a much better blocker than Shultz could ever be.

May not be the names people wanted, but we DID address the weaknesses, let's let them at least have a full padded practice until we decide we wasted anything.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
How many teams are going to run the ball well against the 49ers when their pro bowl RBs gets hurt? They’re tough enough against the best RBs in football.

Their front 7 is their strength and their back end is their weakness. Ceedee was the only offensive player winning consistently last year. It’s easy to sit in coverage when you only have 1 WR to worry about and your OC calls all curls 10 times a game.
In a way we're arguing the same thing....about creating separation down the field. You're advocating better INDIVIDUAL WR talent, whilst i'm saying it's more SCHEMATICAL and we are better served committing the 9'ers Safeties/LB's to stopping the run. If we dont run effectively they'll sit back in coverage which they believe (see Ward's comments) is the way to beat Dak.

You're correct in mentioning the 9'ers secondary (which is the weakness in a good Defense), then compare that to the Bucc's the week before who as we know have a very good secondary and Dak was able to put up 31 Pts against. The difference....we were able to establish the run and stop the Bucc's from sitting back in coverage, which allowed Dak to play HIS GAME.....interestingly using his favorite (Schultz for 95 yrds).

The irony is that Dak performs better when the opposing defense is committed to rush him and he's left to beat man coverage. I remember a discussion we had about the Eagles win, I thought they were playing man coverage, as the blitzed so much,....but you gave a report that stated they were playing zonal.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
In a way we're arguing the same thing....about creating separation down the field. You're advocating better INDIVIDUAL WR talent, whilst i'm saying it's more SCHEMATICAL and we are better served committing the 9'ers Safeties/LB's to stopping the run. If we dont run effectively they'll sit back in coverage which they believe (see Ward's comments) is the way to beat Dak.

You're correct in mentioning the 9'ers secondary (which is the weakness in a good Defense), then compare that to the Bucc's the week before who as we know have a very good secondary and Dak was able to put up 31 Pts against. The difference....we were able to establish the run and stop the Bucc's from sitting back in coverage, which allowed Dak to play HIS GAME.....interestingly using his favorite (Schultz for 95 yrds).

The irony is that Dak performs better when the opposing defense is committed to rush him and he's left to beat man coverage. I remember a discussion we had about the Eagles win, I thought they were playing man coverage, as the blitzed so much,....but you gave a report that stated they were playing zonal.
.....sorry all for the above (@cnuball21).....the point about the above comment is that the draft was seen to improve the running scheme and allow us (VIA BLOCKING) to maintain a running game even if we lose Tony (again). We identify that the primary weapon for Dak ,in the passing game, is to stop teams sitting back in coverage, what Schoonmaker allows is unpredictability at TE....primary function to keep us pounding the ball on the field, but able to become a receiver.
Yea - I’m honestly surprised we didn’t take a G early.
Again this draft isnt about individuals, it's about what we're trying to do. To the fan, Torrence seems perfect, however, we if he's slow footed he's not going to be able to help 'pull' or provide anything other than fronting up the DT....thats why we supposedly liked Avila and Bergeron, the mobility in the run game.

It looks, by the Schoon pick, that we're going to be less predictable 'north-south' running and instead run wide (with blocking, or even create screens).....which will keep thos LB's and Safeties honest. which all helps Dak (and WR's) having more man-coverage down the field.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Of course running the ball helps. But I don’t think you beat the 49ers running the ball 35 times a game…Pollard or no Pollard. Their front 7 is so good theyre effective against the run even without cheating safeties. If they do creep ho we still need someone not
name Lamb to win. You have to challenge their weakness which is through the air.

And yes, we shredded the Eagles and Bucs bc we ran the ball a little better and our QB is perfect. The problem with the lack of offensive weapons is you’re basically asking your QB to play perfect in the playoffs to advance…without the amount of weapons his peers have in the plays offs.

cnuball21

Reaction score
.....sorry all for the above (@cnuball21).....the point about the above comment is that the draft was seen to improve the running scheme and allow us (VIA BLOCKING) to maintain a running game even if we lose Tony (again). We identify that the primary weapon for Dak ,in the passing game, is to stop teams sitting back in coverage, what Schoonmaker allows is unpredictability at TE....primary function to keep us pounding the ball on the field, but able to become a receiver.

Again this draft isnt about individuals, it's about what we're trying to do. To the fan, Torrence seems perfect, however, we if he's slow footed he's not going to be able to help 'pull' or provide anything other than fronting up the DT....thats why we supposedly liked Avila and Bergeron, the mobility in the run game.

It looks, by the Schoon pick, that we're going to be less predictable 'north-south' running and instead run wide (with blocking, or even create screens).....which will keep thos LB's and Safeties honest. which all helps Dak (and WR's) having more man-coverage down the field.
That’s all fine and well but running the ball wasn’t really an issue last year until the 49ers game.

I just don’t think it’s a great recipe when the NFC is fairly watered down and we’re in kind of a win now mode with Dak. Cook was a great start but I think we should’ve added more weapons to the O than a run blocking TE. The 49er and Eagles are loaded and going to score points…we need to keep up.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Of course running the ball helps. But I don’t think you beat the 49ers running the ball 35 times a game…Pollard or no Pollard. Their front 7 is so good theyre effective against the run even without cheating safeties. If they do creep ho we still need someone not
name Lamb to win. You have to challenge their weakness which is through the air.

And yes, we shredded the Eagles and Bucs bc we ran the ball a little better and our QB is perfect. The problem with the lack of offensive weapons is you’re basically asking your QB to play perfect in the playoffs to advance…without the amount of weapons his peers have in the plays offs.
You're missing the point. Its not the rushing yards that beats the 9'ers, its that it keeps their Safeties and LB from sitting back in coverage. We run the ball - WHICH HELPS DAK THROW THE BALL IN REDUCED COVERAGE.

Just question how/why we beat the Bucc's who have a much better secondary then the 9ers we're doing fine in the first half.....Tony's injury, running game with Zeke isnt respected and they sit back and play ......that didnt happen in the Bucc's game, they had to play against our run game and so couldnt sit back in coverage.

Again read the Jimmie Ward quote - he's telling you how they play against Dak and it means we HAVE TO RUN TO KEEP THEM HONEST.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You're missing the point. Its not the rushing yards that beats the 9'ers, its that it keeps their Safeties and LB from sitting back in coverage. We run the ball - WHICH HELPS DAK THROW THE BALL IN REDUCED COVERAGE.

Just question how/why we beat the Bucc's who have a much better secondary then the 9ers we're doing fine in the first half.....Tony's injury, running game with Zeke isnt respected and they sit back and play ......that didnt happen in the Bucc's game, they had to play against our run game and so couldnt sit back in coverage.

Again read the Jimmie Ward quote - he's telling you how they play against Dak and it means we HAVE TO RUN TO KEEP THEM HONEST.
Totally fine - I know we’re not going to throw it 100% of the time and we have to run to keep them honest but our best chance is beating them through the air.

Cooks is a great addition to help with that just wish we would’ve done more.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The team had the 4th highest points per game the past season. Maybe Dak has to perform better in a game against a great defense rather than whining about the lack of superstar weapons at every position needed to score more than 12 points in a game. Good grief-the apologists. He was the biggest reason why the offense choked against SF.
Offense last two seasons, went into a downward spiral after Thanksgiving.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Offense last two seasons, went into a downward spiral after Thanksgiving.
And it was not due to receivers running 5 yard routes, digging a hole, and burying themselves. They did not rub butter on their hands or run into cornerbacks. There was NFL separation in the SF game (many times). The chances that were there were either not taken advantage of at all or incompletely. The receivers we have are not absurdly gifted (true). This idea that the Cowboys can just go grab a Tyreek Hill or Ja’Marr Chase is silly. Mega-weapons go early in a draft unless the off-field concerns cause a huge drop.

cnuball21

Reaction score
And it was not due to receivers running 5 yard routes, digging a hole, and burying themselves. They did not rub butter on their hands or run into cornerbacks. There was NFL separation in the SF game (many times). The chances that were there were either not taken advantage of at all or incompletely. The receivers we have are not absurdly gifted (true). This idea that the Cowboys can just go grab a Tyreek Hill or Ja’Marr Chase is silly. Mega-weapons go early in a draft unless the off-field concerns cause a huge drop.
We don’t need Chase and Hill etc…we needed a solid #2 and #3 that can just separate and be reliable.

MG has never been a separator and expectations that post injury he’ll be a stud seems wild to me and Noah has no business being a starter.

Great move in adding Cooks just wish we would’ve done more for competition at the #3 spot but I’ll cross my fingers on Tolbert.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
The Cowboys went into the draft with offensive playmakers being the biggest reason we didn’t make a playoff run.

I could break down each pick but to make it short and sweet we drafted a pass blocking TE, a 5’5 RB (who I do like) and a 7th round WR.

Incredibly disappointing IMO. I always talk about talent over need, but if you’re going to reach I at least wish we would’ve done it more so on offensive play makers early and often.
I think cropper makes the team over the 7th round wr

Blitzen

Reaction score
We don’t need Chase and Hill etc…we needed a solid #2 and #3 that can just separate and be reliable.

MG has never been a separator and expectations that post injury he’ll be a stud seems wild to me and Noah has no business being a starter.

Great move in adding Cooks just wish we would’ve done more for competition at the #3 spot but I’ll cross my fingers on Tolbert.
I’m not sure who you were thinking they would get. They did not seem to value many of the wide receivers other than the top receivers and Mingo in the draft.

Getting a solid receiver two maybe would have required a day one or early day 2 pick. They had enough weapons to score plenty in the regular season and in the first playoff game vs the Bucs. Again, the biggest reason for the offensive implosion came from the QB in the SF game.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’m not sure who you were thinking they would get. They did not seem to value many of the wide receivers other than the top receivers and Mingo in the draft.

Getting a solid receiver two maybe would have required a day one or early day 2 pick. They had enough weapons to score plenty in the regular season and in the first playoff game vs the Bucs. Again, the biggest reason for the offensive implosion came from the QB in the SF game
There were a ton of options in the 2nd to take a WR rated about a full round ahead of Schoon. Or if we waited in the 3rd still good options. Or in the 4th…just freaking try.

Our FO is pretending Dak is Mahomes while not giving him the weapons almost every playoff team has.
They’re banking on him playing perfect (Philly / Bucs) in order for us to make a playoff run and it’s not sustainable. Yes, he didn’t play well against SF but our offensive roster also wasn’t equipped to make a run if he didn’t play top notch. Meanwhile Hurtz complete like 11 passes to beat them the next week.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There were a ton of options in the 2nd to take a WR rated about a full round ahead of Schoon. Or if we waited in the 3rd still good options. Or in the 4th…just freaking try.

Our FO is pretending Dak is Mahomes while not giving him the weapons almost every playoff team has.
They’re banking on him playing perfect (Philly / Bucs) in order for us to make a playoff run and it’s not sustainable. Yes, he didn’t play well against SF but our offensive roster also wasn’t equipped to make a run if he didn’t play top notch. Meanwhile Hurtz complete like 11 passes to beat them the next week.
A WR, well I never ;)