Potential Dak Poachers

Rayman70

Reaction score
I am slowly coming around to thinking Dak just wants to hit free agency and if that’s the case—-he will play on the tag. If so Dallas needs to flip Dak for the two firsts now.
I think Stephen and Will suspect this. I think your right. Jerry would tag him and then lose him altogether in 2022 and get nothing. But not Stephen.Tag him and get what you can right now.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I became curious which teams might be interested in Dak (in any degree) and I have narrowed the list of teams down to these (although the list might be shorter)--in no particular order:

Bears (High need, low pick--contender with Dak--stud defense)
Saints (High need. low pick--contender with Dak-but salary cap issues might prohibit)
49ers (High need)
Washington FT (High need, Danny Boy wants to be relevant again, division rival--stud defense)
Dolphins (High need)

Panthers (Medium)
Vikings (Medium)
Patriots (Medium)
Giants (Medium--high need, but very high pick))

Falcons (Low)
Detroit (Low)
Packers (Low)
Eagles (Low--cap and Hurts)

Broncos (Unsure)
Raiders (Unsure)

There are a few teams (Jets and Jags) that probably wouldn't give up two very high picks that would otherwise be on this list. This is off the cuff, and some of these may have factors which would eliminate them from this discussion.

Chicago is the best place for Dak if he leaves us.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Keep in mind guys that of the teams on this list, Dak would probably need to want to go there because even though Dallas has a right to sign him and trade him the acquiring team would want an extension.

France and his terms would probably be a real wet blanket on teams wanting to acquire Dak otherwise.

Correct. The team that Dak goes to would have to be a situation, I would think, that offers equal or greater earning potential, then Dallas.

Rayman70

Reaction score
he might say all the right things, but so far, his actions say he doesn't wanna be here long term.Is it the agent? Is it Dak? Is it their game plan all along? This tactic is doomed from the start. Sadly, I think the pressure in Dallas is getting to Dak so he seems to be strong arming his way out of town anyway he can. This happens sometimes. Dallas is a pressure cooker. Especially if your the QB of Americas team. I suspect he wants out.He will never say it though.

aria

Reaction score
Making one dumb mistake does not mean that you double down and make a second dumb mistake. I mean what sort of argument is this? They paid Zeke and that's made me butt hurt that they won't pay Dak? Dak enjoyed many years of inflated stats and wins thanks to Zeke and that offensive line.
25 years of mistakes, not just two.

It’s a very logical argument which is why you don’t understand it. I won’t even waste my time, we’ll see who’s butt hurt in a few months (or sooner) but based on your reactions already I don’t think you’ll even be able to walk after they sign Dak.

Sorry for your bad luck.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dak would really help the Bears and the Skins. Chicago WRs though..

Anthony Miller is a solid WR for them. They've got solid TEs, and Cohen is a solid back. I suspect, if they sign Dak, they'd draft a WR fairly high which would help Dak too.

Flamma

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier for teams to just wait it out? Then they don't have to give Dallas anything. I think the list would be a lot shorter with a tag and trade scenario.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I saw on the NFL Network, one of their insiders said that if Dak does hit free agency, his source said that Washington is going to go very hard for him and pull out a full-court press to land him.

It was a week or so ago. I think it was Ian Rappoport on NFL Now.
If Dak goes to Washington and embarrasses Jerry out of the league....sign me up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I became curious which teams might be interested in Dak (in any degree) and I have narrowed the list of teams down to these (although the list might be shorter)--in no particular order:

Bears (High need, low pick--contender with Dak--stud defense)
Saints (High need. low pick--contender with Dak-but salary cap issues might prohibit)
49ers (High need)
Washington FT (High need, Danny Boy wants to be relevant again, division rival--stud defense)
Dolphins (High need)

Panthers (Medium)
Vikings (Medium)
Patriots (Medium)
Giants (Medium--high need, but very high pick))

Falcons (Low)
Detroit (Low)
Packers (Low)
Eagles (Low--cap and Hurts)

Broncos (Unsure)
Raiders (Unsure)

There are a few teams (Jets and Jags) that probably wouldn't give up two very high picks that would otherwise be on this list. This is off the cuff, and some of these may have factors which would eliminate them from this discussion.

Any team that has a promising young QB or a top 10 QB under the age of 28 would not be interested. EVERY other team would be interested.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I saw on the NFL Network, one of their insiders said that if Dak does hit free agency, his source said that Washington is going to go very hard for him and pull out a full-court press to land him.

It was a week or so ago. I think it was Ian Rappoport on NFL Now.

Dak is never going to hit FA. That would be the ultimate bumble by Jerry.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't know but they don't really have anybody there right now. Desperate times sometimes brings desperate measures.
Newton is not the answer but they had the highest number of players opt out, including his D QB and a D QB is as critical to Belichick as the real QB.

starfan1

Reaction score
If Dak signs the tag and plays on the tag, I think you can assume he wanted out of Dallas and ultimately the Cowboys had no control over the situation. The Cowboys should trade him this year instead of getting a third for Dak next year. That’s looming large right now.

you can assume he wanted out. I think it will be he just wants more money than dallas is willing to give at this point. If Dallas can find a suitor then yes trade him but most everyone's cap issues are the same. There are some worse than dallas and some a little better. I havent looked at the teams in the QB market what their status is Ive only been concerned with the cowboys. I dont think finding a trade partner is going to be a simple thing but ive been wrong before. Especially with 4 good QBs coming out of the draft

starfan1

Reaction score
Perhaps......

QB is theoretically solved if you bring in Dak. This is the deepest WR class I can remember so those guys will be there later or, there will be plenty available in FA and remember, the Jets took Mims in the 2nd last year. CB is a need only because they played young CBs last season. What the Jets really need is a Vet CB. Jets took Zuniga at DE last year, another pass rusher might be a play but which pass rusher are you gonna take 2nd overall? Jets took Perine in the 4th last year, they will draft another guy in the same area this year, if they draft one at all. They aren't spending a high pick on a RB IMO. TE and LB, I could see that but are either one of those position more important then getting a QB you believe is your guy? Are both of those position more important?

I guess it remains to be seen. Id be very shocked if Field's or Wilson isn't wearing green next year but Ive been wrong plenty in my life.

aria

Reaction score
Where is the logic? 25 years of mistakes....okay...so what's a few more? That it? Isn't the objective here to improve?
That’s the objective but after 25 years of failure there is no reason to believe Jerry will suddenly change.

Not to mention, how exactly do you think we will improve by getting rid of a proven QB? Think we can just draft one without giving up picks and not skip a beats? Think we can trade for a QB significantly better than Dak without giving up premium picks? Think we can trade for a QB that is better than Dak and won’t want to get paid, even more than 40 million per year?

We had the number one offense in the league with Dak and a top 10 offense on a few occasions. Dak isn’t the problem, the defense is and somehow you think we can improve the defense how AND get a new QB?

Trajan

Reaction score
Dak is never going to hit FA. That would be the ultimate bumble by Jerry.

which is why it is going to happen. Sign Dak, or tag and trade are the best options. Jerruh, will wait to the last moment per his MO, fail to sign Dak, screw it all up and Dak walks.

personally, at this point I would love a tag and trade for Dak, get the haul of pics, sign some quality defense FA and try to build a new team around a young QB. Won’t happen, but would be nice.