Game Day ****Pre-season Cowboys vs 49ers post game thread***

HungryLion

Reaction score
The low point was watching a good portion of our starting offense get held to a FG in the red zone against the 49ers backups.

The second lowest point was watching our amazing, 90's-like depth in the 2nd half.

The low point was when the announcers said “starting for the cowboys..... Dak Prescott”

mmohican29

Reaction score
I got to attend his coaching seminar at USC this year and McVay is very open about running the same few plays out of different looks. He showed Robert Woods and Gerald Everett running the exact same route combo's on 5 plays from 5 different formations. Their intent is to get the defense to (incorrectly) react to the shift and motions, allowing them to exploit a mismatch. When Jerry talked about Moore's promotion he suggested that's the direction the Cowboys are headed in. The issue is the route combinations still have to work, the "creativity" part. You need to install mesh concepts and make sure the QB and WR's are reading the coverages the same so they are on the same page.

I never suggested unleash the full playbook or even a bulk of it, but training camp and the preseason is an installation of your offense (and defense). It's building blocks. I didn't see a single thing different with play calling or play designs tonight. Again, "vanilla" is understandable and the expectation. A completely different flavor is not. The Ravens aren't running spread, they are installing a run-heavy attack with some elements of triple with it. The Rams aren't going to show you anything special next week, but at the same time, they aren't going to run straight I formation next week. They will run elements of their offense.

For you two who keep harping "show nothing at all"..at what point do the Cowboys install the offense that they plan on running for 16 games?

Exactly. I can see it now:

More false starts and formation penalties than ever before- if that's even possible.

This coaching staff is a complete fraud. The only two with credibility in my eyes are Moore and Richard.

I feel Moore has been sequestered already by Garrett- with Jerry in the room to sign off like Mickey Goldmill in Rocky 2.

"No formations or new plays in the fake games- then we switch and make history!!"

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You know that will be the company line.

But our offense needs work on all things RZ. If you aren't going to try to work your offense in the preseason, when will you?
That was my thing, why settle for FGs in preseason, just go for it. Practice it now, go deep, try new things. Onside kick, fake punt a fair FG, HB pass etc.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Really disappointed with our backup receivers. Johnson gets open but has inconsistent hands.
Think Noah Brown makes this team over them.

Hill had hustle, but rarely made an impact against the 2nd and 3rd team OL.

Jelks and Jackson should be kept over Charlton IMO; someone needs to tell Marinelli that bootlegs are a thing.

Really not impressed with our 2nd string LB and DTs (the Covingtons were horrible against 2nd teamers IMO), although that one lb did get a pick and was active until he got hurt, which sucks.

Pollard looked good. I think Weber had some nice plays when he had decent blocking.
I don't think Brown makes the team, he is hurt and not practicing. Wilson and Johnson will make it over him, Guyton might as well.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I got to attend his coaching seminar at USC this year and McVay is very open about running the same few plays out of different looks. He showed Robert Woods and Gerald Everett running the exact same route combo's on 5 plays from 5 different formations. Their intent is to get the defense to (incorrectly) react to the shift and motions, allowing them to exploit a mismatch. When Jerry talked about Moore's promotion he suggested that's the direction the Cowboys are headed in. The issue is the route combinations still have to work, the "creativity" part. You need to install mesh concepts and make sure the QB and WR's are reading the coverages the same so they are on the same page.

I never suggested unleash the full playbook or even a bulk of it, but training camp and the preseason is an installation of your offense (and defense). It's building blocks. I didn't see a single thing different with play calling or play designs tonight. Again, "vanilla" is understandable and the expectation. A completely different flavor is not. The Ravens aren't running spread, they are installing a run-heavy attack with some elements of triple with it. The Rams aren't going to show you anything special next week, but at the same time, they aren't going to run straight I formation next week. They will run elements of their offense.

For you two who keep harping "show nothing at all"..at what point do the Cowboys install the offense that they plan on running for 16 games?
well my take on vanilla in ps is this, if you dont use your season offense in PS then you dont get any good practice at running it.
As for film on it or other teams seeing it, they are all going to see it in the first game of the season are they not?? lol so it is only the giants
they will surprise with it, and since they have no practice at it with another team, they are not going to be good at it.
And another thing is like you say if you run different things out of the same formation, even if you show it in PS the defense still wont know which one
your going to actually do, and you could always change this or that , and show 1 thing in ps and then want them to expect that in reg season,
but then you do something else.

So bottom line, to me going vanilla in PS is just plain stupid and pointless. and that doesnt include some top secret gimmick plays like where foles
caught a td pass in SB, that is the kind of stuff you save for the right time.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Very typical cowboys preseason game. Players look completely uninspired, coaches apathetic, and our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers exhibit high-school level ability.

Reminds me very much of watching the old electric football game where half the players would simply go around in circles.....

Dre11

Reaction score
Exactly. I can see it now:

More false starts and formation penalties than ever before- if that's even possible.

This coaching staff is a complete fraud. The only two with credibility in my eyes are Moore and Richard.

I feel Moore has been sequestered already by Garrett- with Jerry in the room to sign off like Mickey Goldmill in Rocky 2.

"No formations or new plays in the fake games- then we switch and make history!!"

This is a ridiculous post we've had 1 preseason game and you are making outlandish assumptions on what you feel MIGHT BE HAPPENING...lol