Game Day ****Pre-season Cowboys vs 49ers post game thread***

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The low point was watching a good portion of our starting offense get held to a FG in the red zone against the 49ers backups.

The second lowest point was watching our amazing, 90's-like depth in the 2nd half.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Yeah I don't get why anyone would think they should show their offense in the preseason.

So, we can expect more of this from the starters during preseason?

Wonderful...

• 1st & 10 at SF 12
    (12:16 - 1st) T.Pollard right guard to SF 9 for 3 yards (D.Greenlaw).

• 2nd & 7 at SF 9
    (11:38 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass short middle to M.Gallup to SF 6 for 3 yards (D.Greenlaw). Caught SF 6. 0-YAC

• 3rd & 4 at SF 6
    (10:50 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass short middle to D.Prescott to SF 7 for -1 yards (K.Street). S.Day batted pass at LOS. D.Prescott caught own pass.

• 4th & 5 at SF 7
    (10:30 - 1st) B.Maher 25 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-L.Ladouceur, Holder-C.Jones.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I will give you an honest evaluation next Wed...since I'm on vacation...and missed the game..but my guess is it is just like any pre season game late in the 3rd to 4th quarter...and the QBs has no protection...running for his life...and people want to make an evaluation off of that...plus I'm assuming Kellen didn't exactly empty the playbook...so we will see.
Our DL put just as much pressure on Beathards. But he threw the ball.

cowboyec

Reaction score
impressed with Pollard and Weber.....Joe Jackson,Jelks and Wilson.

Johnson has some talent to work with...needs to start hangin' on to some,tho.

also like Olumba.

DE Kerry Hyder is a keeper.
Awuzie looks in form.

Taco,Armstrong need to pick up the pace in my opinion.

not surprised the play-calling was vanilla....they aint gonna show much.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If you totally buy into that we're any more predictable than 80% of the league. Most teams run the same stuff, just window dress it differently. The Rams run the same stuff, they just dress it up.
I got to attend his coaching seminar at USC this year and McVay is very open about running the same few plays out of different looks. He showed Robert Woods and Gerald Everett running the exact same route combo's on 5 plays from 5 different formations. Their intent is to get the defense to (incorrectly) react to the shift and motions, allowing them to exploit a mismatch. When Jerry talked about Moore's promotion he suggested that's the direction the Cowboys are headed in. The issue is the route combinations still have to work, the "creativity" part. You need to install mesh concepts and make sure the QB and WR's are reading the coverages the same so they are on the same page.

I never suggested unleash the full playbook or even a bulk of it, but training camp and the preseason is an installation of your offense (and defense). It's building blocks. I didn't see a single thing different with play calling or play designs tonight. Again, "vanilla" is understandable and the expectation. A completely different flavor is not. The Ravens aren't running spread, they are installing a run-heavy attack with some elements of triple with it. The Rams aren't going to show you anything special next week, but at the same time, they aren't going to run straight I formation next week. They will run elements of their offense.

For you two who keep harping "show nothing at all"..at what point do the Cowboys install the offense that they plan on running for 16 games?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Wonderful...

• 1st & 10 at SF 12

• 2nd & 7 at SF 9
    (11:38 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass short middle to M.Gallup to SF 6 for 3 yards (D.Greenlaw). Caught SF 6. 0-YAC

• 3rd & 4 at SF 6
    (10:50 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass short middle to D.Prescott to SF 7 for -1 yards (K.Street). S.Day batted pass at LOS. D.Prescott caught own pass.

• 4th & 5 at SF 7
    (10:30 - 1st) B.Maher 25 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-L.Ladouceur, Holder-C.Jones.

When have we looked good in the preseason?

InTheZone

Reaction score
Really.

Looks like he was trying to hit Jarwin on the goal line. He appeared to be open. The Niner broadcast really didn't show a good angle though.
yes the ball went right to Jawrin, with a DB already in front of him and ready to take off when the ball hits him.

Dre11

Reaction score
I got to attend his coaching seminar at USC this year and McVay is very open about running the same few plays out of different looks. He showed Robert Woods and Gerald Everett running the exact same route combo's on 5 plays from 5 different formations. Their intent is to get the defense to (incorrectly) react to the shift and motions, allowing them to exploit a mismatch. When Jerry talked about Moore's promotion he suggested that's the direction the Cowboys are headed in. The issue is the route combinations still have to work, the "creativity" part. You need to install mesh concepts and make sure the QB and WR's are reading the coverages the same so they are on the same page.

I never suggested unleash the full playbook or even a bulk of it, but training camp and the preseason is an installation of your offense (and defense). It's building blocks. I didn't see a single thing different with play calling or play designs tonight. Again, "vanilla" is understandable and the expectation. A completely different flavor is not. The Ravens aren't running spread, they are installing a run-heavy stack with some options of triple with it. The Rams aren't going to show you anything special next week, but at the same time, they aren't going to run straight I formation next week. They will run elements of their offense.

For you two who keep harping "show nothing at all"..at what point do the Cowboys install the offense that they plan on running for 16 games?

you install in camp, you run those things in preseason, you put nothing on film especially with backups, also unless you know exactly what they were running, you don't know if they ran any of their new stuff anyway. Unless you have the all 22, you don't know the route combos they ran.

Dre11

Reaction score

Wonderful...

• 1st & 10 at SF 12

• 2nd & 7 at SF 9

• 3rd & 4 at SF 6

• 4th & 5 at SF 7

No, most likely those names will be Elliott and Cooper and TD instead.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Wonderful...

• 1st & 10 at SF 12

• 2nd & 7 at SF 9

• 3rd & 4 at SF 6

• 4th & 5 at SF 7
As long as we dont get it in the regular season, no one will care

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
1. Offense looked pretty much the same as past seasons, really could not tell we had a new OC.

2. If Dak gets hurt, we win maybe 2 games rest of season. White should be flipping burgers, looked like chit out there.

3. This team supposed to have great depth? Backups got their arse handed to them and the 49ers are not even that good.

4. Very unimpressed overall, but this is what I am expecting. Garrett’s teams alternate good seasons with suck seasons, he has never fielded back to back playoff teams. Guess what, this year is the suck year in the rotation.

Silverstar

Reaction score
When have we looked good in the preseason?

Looked better last year against same team/same venue in the first preseason game.

Scored 21 points...this time around only 9.

I hate all games that finish without scoring any TD's.

I'm weird like that.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We have now lost our last 5 consecutive preseason games.

Hint......don’t take Dallas in your office pool for next week.