CFZ Predictable: How the Zack Martin Holdout will end

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Will martin be fined per day if he holds out into the season??
Or is it just during TC?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Ironic how all the fans who constantly berate Jerry Jones are the same ones wanting for Jerry to cave and give Zack Martin another ridiculous top position overall paid contract extension.
Not me. Zacks 33. He WAS PAID. It almost never works out well to sign a guy that age and give him a 3rd deal. Jerry is right on this instance.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Not me. Zacks 33. He WAS PAID. It almost never works out well to sign a guy that age and give him a 3rd deal. Jerry is right on this instance.
Not necessarily, Zac is still a pro bowl player and could be for at least another 4 years.
Jerry says this is a SB year, and next year too, so does it make sense to let Zack sit this season ??
I dont think so.

If jerry doesnt make a deal martin is happy with soon, then I have to think he doesnt really think the team is a SB contender, or he is just really stupid.

jerry has said he has to pay micah as a reason, but that is BS, he knows parsons is popular, so that is why he said that, to get fans and media
on his side, and for most part that seems to be working.

I dont know if he will, but martin should hold out into the season.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jerry will eventually give Martin what he wants. It's what Jerry does....
Surely no one thinks Jerry won't eventually pay Martin. He's the one player on the o-line that's guaranteed to play well, barring injury of course. Otherwise we have fragile Tyron, newbie Tyler,
The same thing was said when Elliott held out before his 4th contract season.

And then there wasn't a rush by Cowboys players to hold out post Elliott. Guys that want to hold out are going to hold out regardless.
Yeah, every player's situation is different...

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I don't mind Zack holding out for himself. He's an epitome of constancy at the highest level and this would effectively be his last payday. These are the type of players you're supposed to make happy.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't mind Zack holding out for himself. He's an epitome of constancy at the highest level and this would effectively be his last payday. These are the type of players you're supposed to make happy.
Yes, but Jerry can't just "roll over" and pay somebody just because they're dissatisfied with their contract, that'd be very poor negotiation tactics.
Gotta remember Jerry was a businessman long before he was an NFL owner, old habits die hard I guess!

Flamma

Reaction score
Thanks, yes the only time I remember Jerry holding firm too. It was a horrible time though. After going through those awful years we finally had a great team and I finally got to see them win a Super Bowl and then the next year we don't have Emmitt. I thought it was all going to unravel on us.
It was absurd. The salary cap was being introduced and Jerry didn't want to pay big contracts. Think about what Jerry did. One of the main reasons we won the SB was Emmitt. Jerry tried to low ball him. Then after two straight SB wins he runs Jimmy out of town. This has to rank up there with two of the dumbest decisions any executive has ever made in NFL history.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think after the first couple of preseason games. McCarthy will go to Jerry and warn him that they have no suitable backup for Martin and unless they have Martin come the regular season it will cost them everything. Jerry will be stubborn and dig in his heals further. Dexter Lawrence will destroy the Cowboys offensive line and the Giants will beat the Cowboys game 1. Then Jerry will give in and give Martin what he wants. Martin comes back and injures himself in game 2 and is out for multiple games, maybe the entire season. That seems to be the pattern.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
lol at the arrogance, everybody and their dog knows teams can mortgage and manipulate the cap... but the cap still limits to the amount of stretching and mortgaging they can do.
lol. the horror of folks not being able to use a spreadsheet for calculations.

LittleD

Reaction score
I think after the first couple of preseason games. McCarthy will go to Jerry and warn him that they have no suitable backup for Martin and unless they have Martin come the regular season it will cost them everything. Jerry will be stubborn and dig in his heals further. Dexter Lawrence will destroy the Cowboys offensive line and the Giants will beat the Cowboys game 1. Then Jerry will give in and give Martin what he wants. Martin comes back and injures himself in game 2 and is out for multiple games, maybe the entire season. That seems to be the pattern.
McCarthy can pound sand. Cowboys are primarily a draft and develop team. Time to develop some new OL players. Martin wanted a long term deal that paid him at the top of his
position and now he cries when the market outpaced his contract. Jerry should tell fatty that he better get to work and develop some lineman or he'll be wintering back in Green Bay.

NotForLong

Reaction score
It was absurd. The salary cap was being introduced and Jerry didn't want to pay big contracts. Think about what Jerry did. One of the main reasons we won the SB was Emmitt. Jerry tried to low ball him. Then after two straight SB wins he runs Jimmy out of town. This has to rank up there with two of the dumbest decisions any executive has ever made in NFL history.
You can Add not Drafting Randy Moss and Paying Dak to that List

Flamma

Reaction score
You can Add not Drafting Randy Moss and Paying Dak to that List
I'm not a big Dak fan, but what else do you do? I have zero confidence in Dak, but what else do we have? Hopefully they let him play this season to determine whether or not to extend him. It's not easy finding a decent QB.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
My best guess is Dallas waives fines or pays them and hands Zack some upfront cash but largely the deal remains as is.
I do not expect a massive outlay of cash.

The Zeke issue was very different. Zeke was the most productive back in football on his rookie deal and his agent knew that deal was going to constitute his life's work in this game.

Zack is at his peak or prime and may be slightly coming down hill. He should want a payday, but his leverage is pretty low as Dallas seldom even competes at 100% week 1. And RG isn't going to get the same focus as a QB or even RB.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I'm not a big Dak fan, but what else do you do? I have zero confidence in Dak, but what else do we have? Hopefully they let him play this season to determine whether or not to extend him. It's not easy finding a decent QB.
They should have given him the Non exclusive Franchise tag and used all the 1# picks on draft and during that same time period Brady and Rodgers have become available

That's what I would have done

Flamma

Reaction score
They should have given him the Non exclusive Franchise tag and used all the 1# picks on draft and during that same time period Brady and Rodgers have become available

That's what I would have done
No one would have given up two first round picks for him. It would be great if they did. But if they didn't, a non exclusive tag would have been seen as an insult. No one is giving two first round picks for Prescott. That would be a no brainer.