CFZ Predictable: How the Zack Martin Holdout will end

Redline360

Reaction score
Despite what I feel about all this player/owner contract bs, Jerry is going to fold. Like someone else posted or linked this is probably his last true attempt at winning it all. He's not going to let Martin derail this.

This is probably the most complete team talent wise we've had in a long time. Probably even prior to Romo years bar maybe a year

Defense could argurbly field a top 3-5 unit
Offense could field a top 10 unit. IMO if healthy they probably in the 4-7 range. OL health will be the biggest issue(as for any team). Then the kicker situation....

If the team stays relatively healthy absolutely no reason we shouldn't sniff at least the conference game let alone superbowl.

Eagles and niners being the biggest hurdle. Vikings have a good offense but their defense is downright bottom tier putrid and their OL while improved is average at best overall

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We do know.

Are you actually sitting here and saying that Farniok can be a suitable replacement for Martin?

Just know that the team is letting Farniok focus on C now because he was so up and down at OG before you answer this question.
If you've paid attention to me debating with @CowboyRoy over Matt Farniok the past 2 years, you would know I would argue that Farniok would be best if used at Center.

Guess what the Cowboys decided today to finally practice him at? ANSWER: Center

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about concerning the Oline.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you've paid attention to me debating with @CowboyRoy over Matt Farniok the past 2 years, you would know I would argue that Farniok would be best if used at Center.

Guess what the Cowboys decided today to finally practice him at? ANSWER: Center

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about concerning the Oline.
LOL you also thought he'd be a guy that could help overcome the loss of Martin. Except he can't and the team just told you that.

This team has a big problem at interior OL if Martin doesn't play. And it's going to be catastrophic if Martin isn't playing and Tyron gets hurt and Tyler Smith has to move to LT. They simply don't have the quality of depth to replace Martin for long stretches. A game or two? Maybe. 7-8 games? No shot.

PS - As to your point about OL coaching, I actually tend to agree. They should strive to have a great/elite OL coach. What Stoutland does in Philly is impressive, for example. All that being said, we don't have a great OL coach it appears. The backups are JAGs that likely can't be developed into high level players. This team needs Martin to play this year because of all the circumstances surrounding the current OL situation. Jerry would simply be compounding the problem if he digs in on Martin and we suddenly wake up 6-7 games into the season, Martin isn't here and the OL is just scuffling.

Reaction score
You said that "the cap still limits to the amount of stretching and mortgaging they can do".

I am simply responding that they can stretch and mortgage more than enough to fit Martin in while also being able to sign Parsons and Lamb.
You're parachuting in on a conversation and missing some context... It happens.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
So, Jerry Jones is not only going to acquiesce to the demands of a player with two years left on his contract, who is holding out of camp, and Jerry plans on heaping enough over and above Martin’s salary demands to cover the fine, which is paid from net earnings, not gross earnings. Jerry Jones must be the most gracious, most generous owner in all of professional sports. i guess my perception of him is very wrong. He never, to me, seemed to be the kind of man so humble he can overlook being shown up by one of his employees. What a nice guy.
Are you typing this on a contraband cell phone from the Corcoran SHU? "Esse's and woods. 500 navy seals, Ripper count 'em!"

Sydla

Reaction score
Because the past 4 Oline coaches don't know how to build up/improve these players, which then turns to being forced to use nothing but 1st round picks on Olinemen who were built up and coached properly in college, which then turns to why waist paying millions to "pro" Oline coaches who can't build up later round drafted Olinemen?

Like I said, you don't know what you're talking about. You're just here complaining with nothing to contribute.
Great. The past 4 OL coaches stunk. Not really sure who here is disagreeing with that idea that Dallas hasn't had the greatest OL coaches since probably Callahan.

But none of that changes this very big reality - we don't have an elite OL coach who can turn JAGs into great players, we don't really have much in terms of solid talent behind Martin (and Smith) at OG, and given those circumstances the Cowboys have a legitimate OG problem in 2023 if Martin doesn't show up and play. It then gets worse if Tyron gets hurt and Tyler has to shift from LG to LT.

Edit: I do need to concede that I just noticed this discussion seems to have borne out from someone saying we should have used a high pick on an OG in this draft. While I would have also preferred going OG early in this draft, I do agree that we shouldn't need to just throw first round picks at OL over and over to get a good OL.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Great. The past 4 OL coaches stunk. Not really sure who here is disagreeing with that idea that Dallas hasn't had the greatest OL coaches since probably Callahan.

But none of that changes this very big reality - we don't have an elite OL coach who can turn JAGs into great players, we don't really have much in terms of solid talent behind Martin (and Smith) at OG, and given those circumstances the Cowboys have a legitimate OG problem in 2023 if Martin doesn't show up and play. It then gets worse if Tyron gets hurt and Tyler has to shift from LG to LT.

Edit: I do need to concede that I just noticed this discussion seems to have borne out from someone saying we should have used a high pick on an OG in this draft. While I would have also preferred going OG early in this draft, I do agree that we shouldn't need to just throw first round picks at OL over and over to get a good OL.
Now you're talking. Good post.

The best the Cowboys can do right now is to keep experimenting with our backups, try to build them up and hopefully figure out how to best fix this Oline. Looking at what other teams are willing to trade or release by the end of preseason should also be on the table. Hope Mike Solari can figure this out.

Sydla

Reaction score
Now you're talking. Good post.

The best the Cowboys can do right now is to keep experimenting with our backups, try to build them up and hopefully figure out how to best fix this Oline. Looking at what other teams are willing to trade or release by the end of preseason should also be on the table. Hope Mike Solari can figure this out.
If this thing gets really bitter, yeah, I definitely see them scouring the cuts list for OGs.

CWR

Reaction score
I’m sure there has been a big Cowboys star who held out that Jerry never caved to…I just can’t think of any.

Your prediction is probably right. However Martin is 32 and has two years left on his deal. The FO might look at it and decide extending him past the age of 34 is bad business.

I hate to draw a line in the sand on this particular player but I honestly don't see why we'd be paying him at age 35 or 36.

I don't know there is an option where we meet in the middle of reasonable. Still can't believe he's holding out. He's never not been paid well. It's nonsense.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
History often repeats itself….

Jerry Jones has said repeatedly that he’s not giving in to Zack Martin’s holdout. He even said last week that he “needs extra cash to pay Micah Parsons” and has taken a “hard stance” on this. Don’t believe any of it.

Anyone remember what was happening in August of 2019? Here are some headlines in newspapers 4 years ago…almost exactly:
I expect this pattern to be followed with Zack Martin by early September. In fact, by Sept. 4th, 2023- one week before the season opener- there will likely be a press conference to announce Zack Martin’s contract extension. He will probably be the highest paid G in pro football.

History will repeat itself.
I think Zach Martin will end his holdout when the team returns home from camp.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
History often repeats itself….

Jerry Jones has said repeatedly that he’s not giving in to Zack Martin’s holdout. He even said last week that he “needs extra cash to pay Micah Parsons” and has taken a “hard stance” on this. Don’t believe any of it.

Anyone remember what was happening in August of 2019? Here are some headlines in newspapers 4 years ago…almost exactly:
I expect this pattern to be followed with Zack Martin by early September. In fact, by Sept. 4th, 2023- one week before the season opener- there will likely be a press conference to announce Zack Martin’s contract extension. He will probably be the highest paid G in pro football.

History will repeat itself.
Hope you are wrong....

kskboys

Reaction score
Per Jerry Jones to Mike Fisher: " Deadlines makes Deals "

- Martin will either be re-extended to a new deal and arrive the week before season opener .
. or Martin will end his hold out the week 1 of regular season.

- If he is still holding out with during regular season, then that's when negotiations have gotten " ugly " behind the scenes, and
trade rumors will start to media circulate.

- What will further help Martin's cause is the suspect lack of depth at OG that is showing itself in camp. ( Edoga, Farniok, Watlesko, Richards)
I don't see any of those as starting quality. Might not be roster quality.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Actually I believe back then, there was no thing for other teams to make an offer. Dallas had his rights, no other teams could make him an offer. FA in the from we know it now, was not in place then.
Either he was going to sign for Dallas. Unless they traded his rights or released his rights.

Once drafted a team had the rights to that player, for basically life. 10 years after Roger Staubach retired. Dallas relinquished their rights to him. Then at age 48 other teams could offer him a contract. :laugh:
It always gets said over the years as Emmitt's hold-out when it was never a hold-out. I know it was just before actual free agency made it to the NFL, but I thought it was a restricted type situation where another team could have made him a contract offer and the Cowboys would have the right to match it. He couldn't just sign anywhere and leave since free agency was not a thing yet.
Maybe I read a false story years ago, but I remember reading that Emmitt himself contacted the Dolphins and begged them to make an offer that would be so big that Jerry wouldn't match it and he would then go back to FLA and provide the Dolphins and Marino what they most lacked - a great running game. So much fake news out there, maybe I read a story that wasn't true - but I do remember reading that.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
There is no telling what Jerry will do. He doesn't even know himself until it happens. Welcome to dementia + alcoholism.

Flamma

Reaction score
It always gets said over the years as Emmitt's hold-out when it was never a hold-out. I know it was just before actual free agency made it to the NFL, but I thought it was a restricted type situation where another team could have made him a contract offer and the Cowboys would have the right to match it. He couldn't just sign anywhere and leave since free agency was not a thing yet.
Maybe I read a false story years ago, but I remember reading that Emmitt himself contacted the Dolphins and begged them to make an offer that would be so big that Jerry wouldn't match it and he would then go back to FLA and provide the Dolphins and Marino what they most lacked - a great running game. So much fake news out there, maybe I read a story that wasn't true - but I do remember reading that.
I'm pretty sure what you read is true. Because I think I remember Emmitt himself saying something similar. He went to the Dolphins.

Yeah, Emmitt didn't have a contract. That's the one time Jerry held firm. Until it didn't work out well for the Cowboys.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure what you read is true. Because I think I remember Emmitt himself saying something similar. He went to the Dolphins.

Yeah, Emmitt didn't have a contract. That's the one time Jerry held firm. Until it didn't work out well for the Cowboys.
Thanks, yes the only time I remember Jerry holding firm too. It was a horrible time though. After going through those awful years we finally had a great team and I finally got to see them win a Super Bowl and then the next year we don't have Emmitt. I thought it was all going to unravel on us.