CFZ Predictable: How the Zack Martin Holdout will end

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We could have offered to pay him more money if there was no salary cap.

the FO is correctly ANTICIPATING that CeeDee will demand a mammoth contract and Micah Parsons may also demand the highest contract for a non quarterback that the league has ever seen.

Zack Martin and his agent may have misread the tea leaves in this case. We shall see
Could be . Like I have said . Let’s roll the dice and find out. The more I think about I can’t wait to see this new Gulf Coast offense without him. Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Ahh got it
I should have given more detail. A restructure in NFL language is basically an accounting trick where they convert to be paid money (future such as base salary to be paid during the season) into a bonus, pay it now and then can spread the bonus over remaining years on the contract (up to 5 I believe). They already converted a chunk of Martin's base salary this year to bonus. Another "restructure" in the NFL sense would mean converting his 2024 base to a bonus. But the problem is 2024 is his last contract year. They'd be spreading cap hits into dummy years which basically would be cap hits on Martin in years he's not under contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You say JAGS because you never played the position, nor ever were taught how to build/improve an Oline. I just laugh at your inexperienced comments.
Please refresh my memory. Didn’t we use 3 1st round picks to build our OL this era initially. And then when we begin building it’s replacement used another 1st round pick.

But now you want to rebuild it with mid round picks . Just need a better OL coach. Great.

I can’t wait to see how OL by Committee works out. Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
He’s playing to public perception.

Right now it’s swinging for not paying him. Wait till an injury like to Tyron or other OL happens and this offense nose-dives. Then the price goes up. Public perception will sway in order to save the season.
Absolutely. His coming out and claiming he needs money to pay other players is a clear attempt to cover his butt with the fans while trying to make Martin look like the bad guy - the guy holding out for money that they need for Parsons or Lamb.

Sydla

Reaction score
You say JAGS because you never played the position, nor ever were taught how to build/improve an Oline. I just laugh at your inexperienced comments.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that our interior players beyond Tyler Smith are middle of the road, JAG-type interior players. Dime a dozen, that you can find sitting in FA every year.

If people are trying to convince themselves that Martin sitting out games wouldn't be really bad for this team because one of these guys can step up, that's some lofty optimism.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely. His coming out and claiming he needs money to pay other players is a clear attempt to cover his butt with the fans while trying to make Martin look like the bad guy - the guy holding out for money that they need for Parsons or Lamb.
Yep.. I’m ready to roll the dice . Can’t wait to see how this new offense does without Martin:)

Sydla

Reaction score
We could have offered to pay him more money if there was no salary cap.

the FO is correctly ANTICIPATING that CeeDee will demand a mammoth contract and Micah Parsons may also demand the highest contract for a non quarterback that the league has ever seen.

Zack Martin and his agent may have misread the tea leaves in this case. We shall see
You are buying what Jerry is selling.

They can extend Martin and still have the room for both Parsons and Lamb. As noted multiple times, Martin carries a massive cap hit next year. And extension would likely create space and you could have manageable cap hits over the next 2-3 years.

Put it this way, for all those whining about Parsons and Lamb and how Martin and a new extension would hurt in signing them, what's your plan then with Martin? Just let him play next year at a 23 million cap hit and let him walk in 2025? Or just cut him next offseason? Because if you are whining about Parson and Lamb not being able to get what they want/need in an extension then you clearly don't want Martin extended even if he comes back and plays out his contract at his current numbers.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that our interior players beyond Tyler Smith are middle of the road, JAG-type interior players. Dime a dozen, that you can find sitting in FA every year.

If people are trying to convince themselves that Martin sitting out games wouldn't be really bad for this team because one of these guys can step up, that's some lofty optimism.
And to add to this lofty optimism they believe we need a better OL coach to shore up these Jags. Lol

We really need some of these fans in our FO.
FO by Committee :)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Please refresh my memory. Didn’t we use 3 1st round picks to build our OL this era initially. And then when we begin building it’s replacement used another 1st round pick.

But now you want to rebuild it with mid round picks . Just need a better OL coach. Great.

I can’t wait to see how OL by Committee works out. Lol
Like I said, you don't know because you've never personally experienced it.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

You guys simply don't know how to improve and build up an Oline without 1st round picks.

Sydla

Reaction score
You guys simply don't know how to improve and build up an Oline without 1st round picks.
Huh? You don't have to build an OL with just 1st round picks. But what we have on the roster are largely proven players at this point. They've been in the league for a few years. Farniok is what he is. No OL coach is turning him into a high level OG. Edoga has been in the league 5 years, he's not some diamond in the rough here just waiting to be polished. You thinking TJ Bass can be developed into a high level OG?

The Cowboys have built their OL around having Martin in there. Removing him is going to cause massive ripples along the OL. The notion that with the right coaching you could plug Farniok into the RG spot and suddenly those ripples go away is just kind of laughable at this point.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Huh? You don't have to build an OL with just 1st round picks. But what we have on the roster are largely proven players at this point. They've been in the league for a few years. Farniok is what he is. No OL coach is turning him into a high level OG. Edoga has been in the league 5 years, he's not some diamond in the rough here just waiting to be polished. You thinking TJ Bass can be developed into a high level OG?

The Cowboys have built their OL around having Martin in there. Removing him is going to cause massive ripples along the OL. The notion that with the right coaching you could plug Farniok into the RG spot and suddenly those ripples go away is just kind of laughable at this point.
Right.. it takes a combination.

These fans will just need to see to believe.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They can fit in Martin while still being able to sign Parsons and Lamb.

Shoot, Martin carries a $23 million cap hit next year so an extension can actually help create space next year.
Ok, but what does that have to do with my post and the current shifting of their heavily lopsided offensive spending over to the defensive side which is long overdue?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

You talk because you simply don't know.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ok, but what does that have to do with my post and the current shifting of their heavily lopsided offensive spending over to the defensive side which is long overdue?
You said that "the cap still limits to the amount of stretching and mortgaging they can do".

I am simply responding that they can stretch and mortgage more than enough to fit Martin in while also being able to sign Parsons and Lamb.

Sydla

Reaction score
You talk because you simply don't know.
Are you actually sitting here and saying that someone like Farniok can be a suitable replacement for Martin?

Just know that the team is letting Farniok focus on C now because he was so up and down at OG before you answer this question.

The problem here is that you are simply trying to figure out a way to argue that what Jerry is doing is the right move and that Martin is overplaying his hand and not good enough to warrant an extension at this time. To make that argument you have to come up with this idea that we have more than enough on the roster to replace Martin (I guess though if we have the right coaching). But what we have that can fill in for Martin are JAGs. They aren't fixing ****. If Martin doesn't play in 2023, this team has a big interior OL problem. And if Tyron Smith gets hurt and Tyler has to move outside, they have a massive problem at interior OL.