PREDICTION: Cowboys will draft Ahmad Brooks

PoetTree

Reaction score
---

Call me crazy, but I have a feeling that Dallas is going to drop its 2nd-rounder for Brooks in the supplemental draft. Not only because of the Groh connection, his enormous talent and the fact that he would've been considered the biggest steal in draft history in the 2nd-round of the "official" draft. But also because I get the feeling that this kid really wants to play football, is committed to cleaning up his life... and Parcells.... well..... would LOVE to add a talent like that to an already burgeoning defense.

I could be wrong, and we'll see Thursday. But we won't get him in the 3rd.

If we drop a 2nd, though... he's ours.

Watch for it....

:eek:

Peace and Love

- PoetTree -

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
i doubt it.. Ware, Ayodele, James, Carpenter, Burnett, Boiman, Singleton, Parham, Hoyte, Shanle, Fowler.. we are full at LB.. and have ALOT of youth and potential.. no need to drop next year's second rounder for more youth and potential at an already crowded spot..

PoetTree

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
i doubt it.. Ware, Ayodele, James, Carpenter, Burnett, Boiman, Singleton, Parham, Hoyte, Shanle, Fowler.. we are full at LB.. and have ALOT of youth and potential.. no need to drop next year's second rounder for more youth and potential at an already crowded spot..

True, we're full at linebacker. but we don't have a single Ahmad Brooks...

He's, uh, kinda the man...

:bow:

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
PoetTree said:
I could be wrong, and we'll see Thursday. But we won't get him in the 3rd.

If we drop a 2nd, though... he's ours.
You might be right about the Cowboy's 3rd being too late.

The Cowboys would have to be in love with Brooks to spend a 2nd on him. It doesn't seem likely.

But I trust the Cowboys these days. If the Cowboys get Brooks, it'll mean that they believe in him, and that's good enough for me.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Wasn't it more Groh that sent Brooks packing moreso than the school?

If that is true, why would he recommend him to Parcells? Seems that he would advice Parcells NOT to take the chance.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:

Ware-check,
Ayodele-check,
James-check,
Carpenter-check,
Burnett-Big ?, will he ever be healthy? Ware's backup for now,
Boiman-STs guy, solid outside backup
Singleton-solid outside starter but Carpenter & Boiman could knock him off roster.
Parham-longshot might make PS
Hoyte-longshot might make PS
Shanle-STs guy, certainly could upgrade his spot
Fowler-okay inside backup, might develop, nothing wrong with finding better imo.

Starters look good on paper wouldn't call this crowded. Our head coach collects LBs.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Let's see:

1. We have a logjam at linebacker.
2. We're trying to emphasis character.
3. Here's a guy who has a drug problem (those type problems don't go away that easy) and apparently had one so bad that he got kicked off the team.
4. We give up a pick in the upcoming draft if we select Brooks, and we don't know yet what our draft position will be.
5. Even if he's drafted, he still has to sign, and he's already missed mini-camp so he's behind on his development. If he doesn't come in right away, he'll be even further behind in his development.
6. If he gets drafted high, he's going to want top payola, or he could hold the team hostage and re-enter the 2007 draft. Or he may think he should have been drafted higher and still pull the same stunt.

Sorry, I see no benefits for taking Brooks before the fourth round, if that high.

If we use a fourth on him, okay, that's less of a gamble. But no way should any team - based on the points I just outlined - take this guy before the third round.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Folks. We simply do not have the quality depth at ILB for anyone to say we couldn't use another solid ILB.

First, in the 3-4, ILBs go down all the time since they sometimes have to take on OGs and Centers. Second, our ILB corps are lead by James -- a guy with ONE good year under his belt. Next up, Ayodele -- oh yeah, he's never played inside LB before. Next up, Burnett. Never played ILB, hasn't shown he can stay on the field. Fowler? Shanle? Did ya see them play last year? An upgrade would be nice. Parham? Hoyte? Not drafted. Hmm, I wonder why.

We have so very little at ILB at this point.

Whatever we do, the current roster players won't be what keeps us from drafting Brooks.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
So if we do decide to take Brooks with our 2nd where will he play? Will he take the place of Akin or James on the inside? Or will we limit Ware and Carpenter's playing time on the outside?

I frankly would not even give up a 3rd rounder for Brooks. There is too many questions and just too many resources placed unto the LB position where other positions warrant more attention.

Just say NO to Brooks. Unless he can play Free Safety or play the one of the various questionable Oline positions on our team, he is not needed and can go elsewhere.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I agree that we will try and get him. I don't know if we will that high.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Let's see:

1. We have a logjam at linebacker.

A logjam it is -- but only because we have a bunch of crappy logs at inside LB.

gbrittain

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Folks. We simply do not have the quality depth at ILB for anyone to say we couldn't use another solid ILB.

First, in the 3-4, ILBs go down all the time since they sometimes have to take on OGs and Centers. Second, our ILB corps are lead by James -- a guy with ONE good year under his belt. Next up, Ayodele -- oh yeah, he's never played inside LB before. Next up, Burnett. Never played ILB, hasn't shown he can stay on the field. Fowler? Shanle? Did ya see them play last year? An upgrade would be nice. Parham? Hoyte? Not drafted. Hmm, I wonder why.

We have so very little at ILB at this point.

Whatever we do, the current roster players won't be what keeps us from drafting Brooks.

My thoughts exactly. Not saying we will or will not draft the guy, but the decision will not be based on us being stacked at ILB spots.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ConstantReboot said:
So if we do decide to take Brooks with our 2nd where will he play? Will he take the place of Akin or James on the inside? Or will we limit Ware and Carpenter's playing time on the outside?

Ever heard of depth? Lots of snaps to go around. If he outplays someone what is the problem?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
abersonc said:
A logjam it is -- but only because we have a bunch of crappy logs at inside LB.

James and Akin are crappy logs? Give me a break!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Doomsday said:
I believe he is talking about the guys behind them are crappy logs. Shanle, Fowler and a bunch of undrafted rookies.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday said:

James. 1 year good play.

Akin. 0 years at ILB.

These guys MAY turn out good. But neither is proven

The other guys at ILB are even less proven.

So what is that? About 1 year of experience as a 3-4 ILB among the starters and backups.

Nice.

Logjam for sure.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Ever heard of depth? Lots of snaps to go around. If he outplays someone what is the problem?
Exactly. Suppose someone like Cleveland offers us a higher pick for Ayodele or James because Brooks is playing so well. Multiple good things can happen besides contribution to the defense.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Exactly. Suppose someone like Cleveland offers us a higher pick for Ayodele or James because Brooks is playing so well. Multiple good things can happen besides contribution to the defense.

Or suppose we end up with 3 guys who can play at a high level at ILB.

That would be 2 more than we had last year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ahmad Brooks = high risk, high reward type pick. I'm not sold BP will roll the dice.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
PoetTree said:
Not only because of the Groh connection, his enormous talent and the fact that he would've been considered the biggest steal in draft history in the 2nd-round of the "official" draft.
That would be an overstatement even if Brooks hadn't had problem after problem, which he has...