Prediction: Dak-friendly offensive changes

waldoputty

Reaction score
There has been reports of the offense changing to be more Dak friendly RPO offenses.
So the signing of 2 wrs may be confirming some of these plans.
they still must fix the ol

1. more 4 or 5 receiver sets (zeke lining up wide sometimes). hopefully these RPO sets with better receivers would be less predictable.
2 less emphasis on TEs - so witten may not stay long and his contract can pay for the 2 wr signings
3. we may keep 6 or 7 wrs while less TE's, but the wr's with the worst hands are in danger (twill, dez)
-- possession - dez, hurns and brown
-- slot - beasley and may be switzer
-- deep threat - twill and thompson
4. players in danger of cut/trade
-- 2018 - witten and perhaps twill (june 1st)
-- 2019 - dez, twill, witten
5. final signing
-- swing ot, possibly fs if cheap
6. projected draft - no wr in 2018
#1 guard or ot such as hernandez or mcglinchey
#2 lb or 1tech
#3 lb or 1tech
#4 rb
#4a ol or 1tech or fs
#5 ol, fs

Last edited:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think you're right about the 4 & 5 wide sets. Spread things out for Dak to make the defense easy to read. Then we can motion Zeke in to run when needed. This was very successful in 2016 for this team.

kumizi

Reaction score
Dak had a 52% completion rate to Dez last year.
Dak had a 70% completion rate to everyone else.
Dez has the worst completion rate of any WR in the NFL over the last three years.

Seems like a case of additional by subtraction if you want to be Dak friendly.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There has been reports of the offense changing to be more Dak friendly RPO offenses.
So the signing of 2 wrs may be confirming some of these plans.
they still must fix the ol

1. more 4 or 5 receiver sets (zeke lining up wide sometimes). hopefully these RPO sets with better receivers would be less predictable.
2 less emphasis on TEs - so witten may not stay long and his contract can pay for the 2 wr signings
3. we may keep 6 or 7 wrs while less TE's, but the wr's with the worst hands are in danger (twill, dez)
-- possession - dez, hurns and brown
-- slot - beasley and may be switzer
-- deep threat - twill and thompson
4. players in danger of cut/trade
-- 2018 - witten and perhaps twill (june 1st)
-- 2019 - dez, twill, witten
5. final signing
-- swing ot, possibly fs if cheap
6. projected draft - no wr in 2018
#1 guard or ot such as hernandez or mcglinchey
#2 lb or 1tech
#3 lb or 1tech
#4 rb
#4a ol or 1tech or fs
#5 ol, fs
mr Waldo--- i like your roadmap...except regardless that cowboys made a couple of receiver signings....because this draft is so rich in really good receivers...i am pretty confident they will draft one...but i would say first round they most likely will not

waldoputty

Reaction score
mr Waldo--- i like your roadmap...except regardless that cowboys made a couple of receiver signings....because this draft is so rich in really good receivers...i am pretty confident they will draft one...but i would say first round they most likely will not
mr gorico, the problem is there are so many needs. lb, lb, g, g/c ot, fs
a late wr, sure, but i just dont see one early.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Maybe you're right
To me Dak friendly would mean more hand offs to your best offensive weapon and a better TE option or 2 but what do I know
giphy.gif

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
This is the thing for me though. We have the best RB in the league. We don’t need to upgrade the starters on the OL. We need to add depth so that when one of the elites goes down we don’t have a guy that worked at UPS last month come in.
UPS guys know how to stack and shed... Those guys were gas pumpers.

waldoputty

Reaction score
This is the thing for me though. We have the best RB in the league. We don’t need to upgrade the starters on the OL. We need to add depth so that when one of the elites goes down we don’t have a guy that worked at UPS last month come in.

adding a 1st round G would make the OL really good again.
the zeke threat and 3-4 wr RPO sets would open things up for each other

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
yes i agree..with lb especially....i would love it if we went up to get Roquan....such a beast..and i am confident they will get a linebacker early rounds of draft...but i hope we do not draft any lineman in first round...we wont be able to pay all the ones we got at some point...we can a Jag pretty much for left guard being in between Smith and Fredricks...if we land Cameron then i feel our free agent pick ups at least patched holes...except for FS...and i hope we are not going to let Heath be our FS again to start season....but even with that our backfield played so well at end of season imagine had they not all been injured early on?...we got some studs in backfield...but a legitimate FS or hopefull better like Tre Boston or Vaccaro and we would be set in backfield...yes we must get in my opinion 2 more linebackers that are good this year...Tackle and linebacker last year derailed our whole team...it worries me when a postion or two can have such an impact on a team...so it goes back to the coach...even if Garrett got us into NFC championship game ... i want a new head coach

Knotamus

Reaction score
‘Dak-friendly’.. as I see it, means:

1)Give him more protection.
Like it or not.. Dak dosent make quick reads and needs the extra protection to dissect plays. Hopefully he will improve on this, but till then..
a) Add FB Olawale was rated the 2nd best pass blocking FB in the league.
b) change out the mediocre OL depth. As it seems they are attempting to do in FA
c) draft a top rated guard. Whether that means first round, or move up with the 2nd Rd to grab him. I know some don’t think we need to draft a G this high, but we most certainly do. It helps Dak and Zeke in the same breath and hopefully we return to 2016 OL greatness

2)Obtain Wr’s that can get open.
Are present WR core was built with the idea that Romo would still be around. Romo was more accurate, so having a ‘Body Catcher’ in Twill, Poor Route Runner’ in Dez, and a slow TE wasn’t as big of an issue. The truth of the matter, Dak at this point in his career, needs bigger windows to throw through. This is why we’re about to see a major shake up of some WRs currently in the roster. Question is who’s the odd guy(s) out? And will it work?

Personally, Twill is Ok and I love me some Beasley..but I see one, if not both gone. I don’t want to see Dez go bc every team can use a physical WR, even if he’s lost a step. I wouldn’t mind next season WR depth to look like this..

Dez, Hurns, Switzer, Thompson, Brown, Lenoir

If Dez is gone..

Hurns, (draft pick), Switzer, Thompson, Brown, Lenoir

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Well you fill the needs in free agency then draft best player available, within reason.

Tre Boston would fix the FS issue and wouldn't cost a ton.

Bowman could be a guy we bring in at LB that wouldnt break the bank plus we already signed Joe Thomas at LB.

Fleming could help with the OL.

Now you could still take any position in the draft that's considered needs. If you like a guard like Hernandez take him, Jewel could be a LB we take later. Like one of the safeties, take him. Perhaps a OT we like is there we could take him as well. Think Vea or Derwin can help put us over the top..... Go get him. If a top receiver is there, draft him.

My point is you draft the best football players then figure out what to do later. Going into the draft and looking at certain positions in certain rounds isn't a good strategy

Big_D

Reaction score
Maybe you're right
To me Dak friendly would mean more hand offs to your best offensive weapon and a better TE option or 2 but what do I know

Got to agree with this. I don't see how more empty backfield sets and putting all the pressure on your QB makes things friendlier. Instead of getting too cute, get back to the basics. Your offense is setup to dominate with this line and RB.