Prediction: Dak-friendly offensive changes

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
So you want to make a run first team that is absolutely going to run more this year and play with 4 and 5 wr sets? This is the opposite of what this team is. You want Dak prescott running a passing based offense with 4 and 5 wr sets?

secondly you want less emphasis on the tight ends? That is not going to happen either, this is a run first and run heavy team. I hope and think they are going to draft one.

also, Dallas plays in empty sets all the time but that is with the tight end and rb/fb off the line of scrimmage. I think you are confusing what 4 and 5 wr sets actually is with playing empty and splitting out the rb/fb and getting the TE off the line of scrimmage. This is something they will continue to do because it is a schematic matchup advantage. If teams matchup Dallas will get a linebacker and safety in coverage.

They are not going to cut witten. I imagine they are going to draft another tight end and maybe two offensive lineman and really try and make this running game great.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is the thing for me though. We have the best RB in the league. We don’t need to upgrade the starters on the OL. We need to add depth so that when one of the elites goes down we don’t have a guy that worked at UPS last month come in.
We need a 5th starter. You gotta do that before you worry about 6-8.
But I agree depth here is a key concern. Losing Leary and Free -- Two starter quality players hurt us... who'da guessed that? Then have the best LT in football have a bad back... Yippie...

I suspect they sign a Swing OT who 'can' start and a spare part OG.
Then you see at least one more OL in top 3 rounds of draft too.

They gotta draft OL because they can't resign everyone going forward. No way I'm resigning Collins to a big money deal.

He was average at LG and below average at RT.

If the team's identity is it's OL and Zeke you gotta make that OL whole.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So you want to make a run first team that is absolutely going to run more this year and play with 4 and 5 wr sets? This is the opposite of what this team is. You want Dak prescott running a passing based offense with 4 and 5 wr sets?

secondly you want less emphasis on the tight ends? That is not going to happen either, this is a run first and run heavy team. I hope and think they are going to draft one.

also, Dallas plays in empty sets all the time but that is with the tight end and rb/fb off the line of scrimmage. I think you are confusing what 4 and 5 wr sets actually is with playing empty and splitting out the rb/fb and getting the TE off the line of scrimmage. This is something they will continue to do because it is a schematic matchup advantage. If teams matchup Dallas will get a linebacker and safety in coverage.

They are not going to cut witten. I imagine they are going to draft another tight end and maybe two offensive lineman and really try and make this running game great.
this is basically my thoughts as well.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I am just reading what some of these articles are saying.

These articles quote Dak a lot about the most qb friendly offenses are Kansas City and Carolina. Not that they want Dak to run a lot, but the threat of Dak running and many empty backfield or 4wr sets, along with Zeke and a dominant OL will open things up and make things less predictable.

Dave Halprin - Utilize Dak’s ability to move the pocket and throw on the run, along with his ability to tuck and run. The Cowboys ran a few basic bootlegs and such, but defenses started to cover those well. Dallas’ playbook didn’t really have any counter plays to use when defenses where shutting down the basic roll-outs and boots. Dak is a threat outside the tackles with his arm and legs, the Cowboys need to cater to that more often, and have answers when defenses catch on.

Here is a really good article with a few examples of counter plays mostly from chiefs:
1. bubble screen in empty backfield set - if they cover the 3 wrs with only 2 dbs and a S halfway in the box - then throw immediately to one of the 3 wr. if they cover 3 wr with 3 db, then only 5 in the box and then dak can do a rpo zone run
2. presnap RPO or read option passes like chiefs - qb has rb with him with 4 wr. 3 wr line up one side that can set up a bubble screen. qb can give ball to rb, keep it on a run or throw to one of wr in bubble screen
3. fake jetsweep to draw defender in the flat away from rb route.

you can read it for yourself - https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...iagrams-run-pass-options-jet-sweeps-bootlegs/

Sydla

Reaction score
Dak had a 52% completion rate to Dez last year.
Dak had a 70% completion rate to everyone else.
Dez has the worst completion rate of any WR in the NFL over the last three years.

Seems like a case of additional by subtraction if you want to be Dak friendly.

I don't think it's that simple.

For one, they force feed low percentage passes to Dez. We aren't throwing low percentage fades in the red zone to TWill or Butler or Beasley. We throw them to Dez. And for the record, I absolutely despise the fade. LOL.

I think the coaching staff does a poor job of using Dez. Now that's not to excuse Dez who had a case of the dropsies last year and part of his route running issues are his own, no one elses.

But I honestly believe that while Dez bears responsibility, the way we use him did not lend itself to him producing. I'd like to see the rumors of more crossing routes, slants come to fruition. I think Dez's numbers would jump if used properly.

waldoputty

Reaction score

see posts #24 - zeke is involved as rb/wr

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Dak friendly means getting him the best offensive line in the NFL so he can hand the ball off and on occasions throw his bread and butter short passes. Any pressure and he runs to the outside, not sure why he scared to step up in the pocket. oh well

Dak friendly..best offensive line in the NFL

movaughn88

Reaction score
We need a 5th starter. You gotta do that before you worry about 6-8.
But I agree depth here is a key concern. Losing Leary and Free -- Two starter quality players hurt us... who'da guessed that? Then have the best LT in football have a bad back... Yippie...

I suspect they sign a Swing OT who 'can' start and a spare part OG.
Then you see at least one more OL in top 3 rounds of draft too.

They gotta draft OL because they can't resign everyone going forward. No way I'm resigning Collins to a big money deal.

He was average at LG and below average at RT.

If the team's identity is it's OL and Zeke you gotta make that OL whole.

There's only so much you can spend on your OL guys, you have to keep the replacements fresh. I'm now in the camp we can get a guard in the first 3 rounds to replace Z Martin and let him walk. I think its the right move, but realize its a massive gamble.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
There's only so much you can spend on your OL guys, you have to keep the replacements fresh. I'm now in the camp we can get a guard in the first 3 rounds to replace Z Martin and let him walk. I think its the right move, but realize its a massive gamble.
Best way to stay cheap is keep adding those draftees to the OL.
Martin is generational so I'd sure try to keep him, especially since Tyron may have to retire early with that back.
But I know it's a tougher call than most like to admit.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak friendly would be a good defense. It's already worse that last year.
The defense is already better imho.
The 2nd and 3rd year guys are all going to improve.
Jaylon will be healthier and less rusty.

But, yes it needs to get better and especially needs another LB.

movaughn88

Reaction score
Best way to stay cheap is keep adding those draftees to the OL.
Martin is generational so I'd sure try to keep him, especially since Tyron may have to retire early with that back.
But I know it's a tougher call than most like to admit.

I hear you man, Martin might be a ring of honor / HOF guy but do you pay a guard 10% of your cap? You have the exact right question and you and I don't know it, but how bad is Tyron's back? If its bad then yes, pay Zach and so we have 2 elites. But if he's gonna be okay? I don't know and I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions.

waldoputty

Reaction score
So....OP we're going to run the spread offense?

that is kind of what i am reading
you can read it for yourself - https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...iagrams-run-pass-options-jet-sweeps-bootlegs/
a few articles quote dak saying that it is more dak friendly to use some chief / panthers rpo plays.
instead of just roll-outs which other teams adapted to, there are some counters for other team's adjustments.
the article listed 3-4 examples of how to counter defense adjustments

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
that is kind of what i am reading
a few articles quote dak saying that it is more dak friendly to use some chief / panthers rpo plays.
instead of just roll-outs which other teams adapted to, there are some counters for other team's adjustments.
the article listed 3-4 examples of how to counter defense adjustments
Only one of those 4 plays utilizes 4 or more WRs and that play has zero backs.
You can probably scrap that one or assume Zeke is flexed out as a 4th WR.
Two of those 4 plays suggest 2 or 3 TE and again, think we see LESS of that.

We may see takes on those plays but with more standard personnel.
TWill can block like a TE.
Dez/Hurns block as well as a collegiate TE.

Dallas wanted to give Dak more varied weapons for sure as we can see by free agency.

But adding some plays to the playbook would make exactly zero of us sad unless of course they can simply run Zeke versus 8 in box and still get 5 yards a play.

Then we will freak out when they stop doing that in favor of tricks.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Only one of those 4 plays utilizes 4 or more WRs and that play has zero backs.
You can probably scrap that one or assume Zeke is flexed out as a 4th WR.
Two of those 4 plays suggest 2 or 3 TE and again, think we see LESS of that.

We may see takes on those plays but with more standard personnel.
TWill can block like a TE.
Dez/Hurns block as well as a collegiate TE.

Dallas wanted to give Dak more varied weapons for sure as we can see by free agency.

But adding some plays to the playbook would make exactly zero of us sad unless of course they can simply run Zeke versus 8 in box and still get 5 yards a play.

Then we will freak out when they stop doing that in favor of tricks.

right, they could adapt those plays.
exactly as you said, wr instead of te in those bubble screens
and yes, zeke would flex out as the 4th or 5th wr or come out of backfield in the 4wr set.

we have some great blocking wr - e.g. noah brown would be a monster in that role. rico would line up as the single wr and cause all type of mismatch with either a lb or db.

in regards to running zeke vs 8 in box, i always thought we should line up 3-4 wr out and then let zeke run. the bubble screen would be a great way to force the d to adjust.
if they line 2 against the 3 wr with 1 lined up at the edge of the box, then throw the quick pass to the 3rd wr and make them pay. if they play it honest, then run zeke up the middle or to the side with only 1 wr (or perhaps rico).

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
The defense is already better imho.
The 2nd and 3rd year guys are all going to improve.
Jaylon will be healthier and less rusty.

But, yes it needs to get better and especially needs another LB.

If Dallas doesn't sign some FA's for the defense dont expect much from this defense.