Premier League

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
well it use to be that way but recently its changed . Look at Portland , Vancover , and Dallas rosters . Its made up of young players from South America. Funny how all of a sudden David Villa " is washed up " because he signed with NYFC. Yet he started for champions athletico and is on Spain World cup team . But yea "washed up ".

David Villa was considered washed up 2 years ago, then he had a resurgence this year at Atletico.
He is coming to the Red Bulls for money and money alone.
This is his soccer version of a victory lap after the world cup.
Like for Thierry before him this is glorified rec league paying millions and living in a great country.
Much like Stephon Marbury playing in China.

MLS is made up mostly of American collegiates who can't get jobs in Europe then 2nd or 3rd tier players from South America and the Carribean.

The current leading goal scorer came from Charlton out of League One in England.

MLS is trying to get better and that's applaud worthy but this grabbing of dinosaurs for huge fees is just stupid nonsense that was how all previous US soccer leagues have failed.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
David Villa was considered washed up 2 years ago, then he had a resurgence this year at Atletico.
Like for Thierry before him this is glorified rec league paying millions and living in a great country.

MLS is made up mostly of American collegiates who can't get jobs in Europe then 2nd or 3rd tier players from South America and the Carribean.

The current leading goal scorer came from Charlton out of League One in England.

MLS is trying to get better and that's applaud worthy but this grabbing of dinosaurs for huge fees is just stupid nonsense that was how all previous US soccer leagues have failed.
There's a fine line though, they almost have to do that. There is no interest in the vast majority of players in the MLS, even from a US perspective, and the only way to garner any attention from Europe is to bring in some big names, even if they are past their prime. I'm OK with it as long as they aren't trying to use it for much more than marketing.

Its a pretty sad state of affairs when, last year when the MLS All Stars played Roma, Marco Di Vaio (37) and Henry (36) were the starting forwards.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
There's a fine line though, they almost have to do that. There is no interest in the vast majority of players in the MLS, even from a US perspective, and the only way to garner any attention from Europe is to bring in some big names, even if they are past their prime. I'm OK with it as long as they aren't trying to use it for much more than marketing.

Its a pretty sad state of affairs when, last year when the MLS All Stars played Roma, Marco Di Vaio (37) and Henry (36) were the starting forwards.

short-term marketing has to fall well below raising quality of league for the league to thrive.
the reason 36 and 37 year olds are starting on all-star teams is those guys played at a higher speed of game and this was relatively easy for them.

the quality of play will bring attention if it rises.

if not americans will just watch european and south american soccer and ignore the domestic product altogether.
invest in coaching and development and impressive young players, not largely over the hill marketing ploys.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
short-term marketing has to fall well below raising quality of league for the league to thrive.
the reason 36 and 37 year olds are starting on all-star teams is those guys played at a higher speed of game and this was relatively easy for them.

the quality of play will bring attention if it rises.

if not americans will just watch european and south american soccer and ignore the domestic product altogether.
invest in coaching and development and impressive young players, not largely over the hill marketing ploys.
I dont disagree at all. But I think the MLS has been around long enough where they need to do something different to attract top young talent. In reality, the US just doesn't put out great soccer players, because all the best athletes play other sports. You don't want to turn it into a league where the only stars who sign are over-the-hill vets (a la the KHL) but you can't have an increased quality of play without bringing in great players from other leagues. It's kind of a catch-22 in that regard.

They should probably try to find a way to do what the NHL does, but I'm not sure how practical that would be.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I dont disagree at all. But I think the MLS has been around long enough where they need to do something different to attract top young talent. In reality, the US just doesn't put out great soccer players, because all the best athletes play other sports. You don't want to turn it into a league where the only stars who sign are over-the-hill vets (a la the KHL) but you can't have an increased quality of play without bringing in great players from other leagues. It's kind of a catch-22 in that regard.

They should probably try to find a way to do what the NHL does, but I'm not sure how practical that would be.

i'd start acting like MLB baseball teams of the 90s and picking south america dry of talented 14-17 year olds.
build MLS academies in Mexico City, a few places in Brazil and other countries that produce talent.
then import it.

i'd also poach some league one and lower euro league guys who fall out of favor for whatever reason as price allows.
right now the US needs to work toward feeder status, not walker(as in old age) status.

Klinsman has come in and added 5-7 talented young players to the US National team, it is absurd for MLS to pretend they can't match that with an entire league.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
i'd start acting like MLB baseball teams of the 90s and picking south america dry of talented 14-17 year olds.
build MLS academies in Mexico City, a few places in Brazil and other countries that produce talent.
then import it.

i'd also poach some league one and lower euro league guys who fall out of favor for whatever reason as price allows.
right now the US needs to work toward feeder status, not walker(as in old age) status.

Klinsman has come in and added 5-7 talented young players to the US National team, it is absurd for MLS to pretend they can't match that with an entire league.
See I'm kind of under the assumption that they've been trying all of that stuff and bringing in the walkers (lol) is more of a stop-gap to try to keep attention until they establish themselves. I guess I could be wrong, but it seems painfully obvious that that's what needs to happen to make the MLS a legit league.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

Because it's a popularity contest . They aren't the best forwards the league has .

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

Doesn't matter he is only 31 and still a quality striker . He will put BUTS in the seats . I think it's a great move . He will score goals and be productive 3 years is a long time in soccer . I was impressed with his interview he said all the right things . Could be another Beckham and leave winning a couple more trophies .

BTW rumors are Beckham wants to come back and play for his Miami team !

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
then import it.

Yedlin , beslar , Omar are all pretty young and Products of MLS .

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/04/diego-costa-chelsea-medical-transfer-spain

Diego Costa completes medical ready for £32m move to Chelsea
• Spanish striker set to officially join from Atlético Madrid
• Blues also interested in Filipe Luís and Tiago
• Mourinho not convinced about signing Fábregas

Diego Costa has completed a medical examination at Chelsea and is poised to seal his £32m transfer from Atlético Madrid. The Brazil-born striker, who is a part of the Spain squad preparing for the World Cup finals, has been identified by José Mourinho as being what Chelsea need to win the Premier League title.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
http://oneworldsports.com/stories/chelsea-pursuing-more-atletico-madrid-stars

Deal with Costa done and Courtois to start in Goal next year.
-------------

Jose Mourinho has asked Chelsea to secure the signings of three more of Atletico Madrid's Spanish League winning side after the London club concluded Diego Costa's €38million acquisition. In addition to that quartet of Atleti Champions League finalists, the Chelsea manager expects to have Cesc Fabregas at the heart of a revamped midfield next season.

A transfer of fee of €33m has been agreed with Barcelona for Fabregas, who have offered the former Arsenal captain around the Premier League as they seek cash for a rebuild of their own. The 27-year-old is understood to have accepted Chelsea's personal terms and committed himself to joining after the World Cup. Mourinho has approved the signing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yedlin , beslar , Omar are all pretty young and Products of MLS .

Besler is a below average player we need to work to replace. Omar is terrible right now and has never been above a huge question mark.
Other than height for aerial prowess he provides little imho.
Yedlin is a baby but needs to get to a real league and develop before topping out where the other two did.
The backs I like are Fabian, DaMarcus, Cameron. All Euro products.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What is Chelsea thinking?

Lukaku is going to be a special player for many years. It would be ashamed to see him go to another club.

I hope they don't put all their eggs in the Diego Costa basket either.

Lukaku is my favorite young player in all the world(I wouldn't sell him for 100Million Euros). I think he has Didier Drogba(ballon d'or) potential... but he is very eager to start every game and he won't do that at Chelsea:(

Until it is official I am holding out hope they retain him if only through one more year of loan.
Courtois sounded exactly the same 6 months ago but now is coming back to the Bridge as starting GK.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Lukaku is my favorite young player in all the world(I wouldn't sell him for 100Million Euros). I think he has Didier Drogba(ballon d'or) potential... but he is very eager to start every game and he won't do that at Chelsea:(

Until it is official I am holding out hope they retain him if only through one more year of loan.
Courtois sounded exactly the same 6 months ago but now is coming back to the Bridge as starting GK.

The difference is Courtois has already proven himself as one of the top keepers in the world. Lukaku has not done that for his position although he has represented himself well.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The difference is Courtois has already proven himself as one of the top keepers in the world. Lukaku has not done that for his position although he has represented himself well.

Absolutely.
Lukaku is proven as a scoring machine for mid-tier EPL sides but is about where Courtois was 2 years ago.

I'd rather have Costa but I'd easily prefer Lukaku over any striker Chelsea had last year.

I wish Lukaku would welcome 2nd striker duties here because it's not like Costa has never been dinged....

joseephuss

Reaction score
Absolutely.
Lukaku is proven as a scoring machine for mid-tier EPL sides but is about where Courtois was 2 years ago.

I'd rather have Costa but I'd easily prefer Lukaku over any striker Chelsea had last year.

I wish Lukaku would welcome 2nd striker duties here because it's not like Costa has never been dinged....

Exactly. He should still see plenty of playing time if he stays with the Blues.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Absolutely.

Watch a Diego Costa highlight video. The guy doesn't create much on his own. He just finishes chances.

I feel like he is a little overrated right now. I think he is good but Lukaku can finish chances as well and he is just going to get better.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Besler is a below average player we need to work to replace. Omar is terrible right now and has never been above a huge question mark.
Other than height for aerial prowess he provides little imho.
Yedlin is a baby but needs to get to a real league and develop before topping out where the other two did.
The backs I like are Fabian, DaMarcus, Cameron. All Euro products.

beslar is not below average . He has been very good on the national team level and has started almost every game. If he was below average he would've been replaced. I think you may be confused with someone else. Beslar's weakness is actually height and aerial defending. He is poor at heading and short at 6'0. He is great reading and has very excellent quickness and good speed. Its the other CB spot thats been a problem for usmnt.

and yea beasley is in Liga MX not a euro team . Hasn't played in europe in ages.