Prepare yourself for our offseason of same

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See.....Payton is the ONLY dude out there I can see that may actually get through to these two, as far as how they do things are detrimental.

Really, just shutting up alone would take care of a nice portion of things.....but they refuse....or can't see it.

Not clipping the coaches wings would help as well.

The part thats so frustrating is I really do think we have had some teams that were very capable and wasted because of Jerry's desire to have puppet coaching and be the face of the franchise.

I'm not throwing it all on the Joneses. The fact is that despite some blunders, this team was well-stocked with talent for these coaches. There was no doubt that the Cowboys were one of the most talented teams in the league. That's a credit to the personnel folks - Jones boys included. The failings were in the area of coaching, but McCarthy was also a Super Bowl winning head coach. He, and Moore, and Quinn, had the table set for them and failed to get the job done. I place that blame on them, not Jerry Jones.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Whether you like it or not this will not be an offseason of change other than the changes they have to make because of the salary cap and the possibility of losing Kellen Moore. They're not in the change mindset. They want to bring this band back together as much as possible for another tour. They're convinced they underachieved this year.

I kindly direct you to the Senior Bowl interviews of Jerry and Stephen if you disagree. They are not poker players. They're telling you what they really think and change isn't in their thinking.

The only change will be change forced upon them.

And you won't have a transcendent rookie to add to the mix next year to move the needle. I don't like to talk in absolutes but that may have been once in a lifetime. You don't even have a full slate of draft picks.

It's an offseason of great addition for the Giants, Eagles, and to a lesser extent, the Badwords of Washington. It's an offseason of minimizing losses for the Cowboys.

I cannot wait until next season. It already feels different.

Exactly why I am going on sabbatical next year. I will disinterestedly observe and be pleasantly surprised by any over-achievements

9-8 and a L on the road in a “win and in” scenario sounds about right. I’ll be relaxing on the beach and will simply pour myself another drink when the inevitable happens in 2022

Please wake me up for 2023. I am sure it will be different with a new HC

~thumbs up~
~chest pound~
~ Prescott sky point~

foofighters

Reaction score
I’m prepared. Until the words “Jones steps down as GM” are uttered….I’m totally prepared. Hoping I live long enough to see a change.
Unfortunately, I don't think anyone with the last name of Jones is going to do any good for this organization...outside of Charlotte. Now she could probably turn the team around but I don't have faith in anyone else.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whether you like it or not this will not be an offseason of change other than the changes they have to make because of the salary cap and the possibility of losing Kellen Moore. They're not in the change mindset. They want to bring this band back together as much as possible for another tour. They're convinced they underachieved this year.

I kindly direct you to the Senior Bowl interviews of Jerry and Stephen if you disagree. They are not poker players. They're telling you what they really think and change isn't in their thinking.

And you won't have a transcendent rookie to add to the mix next year to move the needle. I don't like to talk in absolutes but that may have been once in a lifetime. You don't even have a full slate of draft picks.

It's an offseason of great addition for the Giants, Eagles, and to a lesser extent, the Badwords of Washington. It's an offseason of minimizing losses for the Cowboys.

Great Post. I would correct one small detail. They aren't capable of change. They aren't smart enough. What we do is called the path of least resistance. It enables Jerry to maximize his yacht time while still feeling good about winning the NFC East.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I find it interesting, people want to go after Jerry by not buying stuff? lol OK he still making money. If people were serious what they should do is not watch period. When the ratings fall Cowboys would be subject to more locally televised games as opposed to national spotlight that Jerry loves and desires. This past season the 2 highest rated games televised in the reg season was Dallas vs Raiders and 2nd highest Dallas vs Kansas City. You want to get Jerry you go for the ego and not watch at all. However few if any will do that because they don't want to inconvenience themselves and want to watch the Cowboys play.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm not throwing it all on the Joneses. The fact is that despite some blunders, this team was well-stocked with talent for these coaches. There was no doubt that the Cowboys were one of the most talented teams in the league. That's a credit to the personnel folks - Jones boys included. The failings were in the area of coaching, but McCarthy was also a Super Bowl winning head coach. He, and Moore, and Quinn, had the table set for them and failed to get the job done. I place that blame on them, not Jerry Jones.
Fair enough...

But I feel it's tough to give a motivational speech to a group that knows you're not really the man....

And at that....a group that gets praise for failing by the guy who is really in charge.

Jerry says he will "do anything to win."

Yet another term he uses quite loosely, since checking his ego isn't on that list.

What this boils down to... .

Like the 90s teams, in order to ever win, we need to be significantly better than everyone else.

That's next to impossible to do in the cap era, and also why trying to field the perfect team with no holes yet has substandard puppet coaching has never worked and it never will.

Get me less of a team on paper that's coached well.

Payton at least gives that hope, as remote as it may be.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fair enough...

But I feel it's tough to give a motivational speech to a group that knows you're not really the man....

And at that....a group that gets praise for failing by the guy who is really in charge.

Yet another term he uses quite loosely, since checking his ego isn't on that list.

Like the 90s teams, in order to ever win, we need to be significantly better than everyone else.

That's next to impossible to do in the cap era, and also why trying to field the perfect team with no holes yet has substandard puppet coaching has never worked and it never will.

Get me less on a team on paper that's coached well.

Jerry was not praising anyone after the SF game. Fact is the front office has brought in talent, those who cover the Cowboys (not fans) see the talent on this team. Jerry is not calling the plays and Jerry is not on the sidelines. His job is to help bring in the talent and that has been done. I don't care if Jerry takes the heat or not, he is GM and the team is not getting it done

visionary

Reaction score

we have been reaping the immense benefits of having a owner/GM for the last 26 years so it would be sheer madness to change now

only a sane person would make a change now and our owner is a lot of things but sane is not one of them

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair enough...

Get me less of a team on paper that's coached well.

I agree on several points.

I think soft coaching in some areas has allowed for soft players and play. I think it's readily apparent in some areas of the offense, particularly the offensive line. We've become a comfortable, finesse line that accepts poor performances and being beaten. All of that crap with strolling onto the field as some big, bad, group should be thrown in the garbage and forbidden by the coaches. "You're not nearly as good as you once were, or still think you are!"

And our boy genius offensive coordinator has been exposed and quickly curled up in a ball and gave up on his running game, taking his once-dominant offense down with him. The fact that Moore allowed his rushing offense to be shut down set the tome for his entire offense. If your offensive coordinator doesn't believe in something, why should anyone else?

And virtually all of the coaches accepted the ridiculous number of penalties this team got each and every week. Penalties is a direct reflection of coaching and discipline - or the lack thereof.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Nothing will stop Jerry making money. Nothing. The logo alone is a license to print money.

While true, the franchise valuation is an issue. If less people buy stuff and the games don't sell all the tickets, the profitability will go down. That will in turn harm franchise value. Given that the Cowboys are worth billions, a relatively small change could cost the Jones family a fortune.

I wouldn't underestimate just how much franchise valuations affect sports economics.

Aven8

Reaction score

All the fans saw this mid season and it never got corrected. The 50 burger games vs Wash and Philly made it look like it was fixed but we all knew it wasn’t. Broaddus has said countless times that Moore doesn’t have a scheme, he has a playbook. It’s maddening to think that Mike doesn’t want to call plays. Do you think it’s because he is lazy or that the Jones/Dak don’t want that?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
While true, the franchise valuation is an issue. If less people buy stuff and the games don't sell all the tickets, the profitability will go down. That will in turn harm franchise value. Given that the Cowboys are worth billions, a relatively small change could cost the Jones family a fortune.

I wouldn't underestimate just how much franchise valuations affect sports economics.

People not buying stuff is not going to make any difference. Jerry is about as rich as God. Stop watching, as long as Cowboys bring in high ratings networks will put them on prime time games. Jerry loves the national spot light and as long as the ratings are high the Cowboys will continue to get the attention in the form of Nationally televised games. I don't see teams like the Texans getting the national spot light or many other teams.

Problem is many here would be unwilling to do that. lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing will stop Jerry making money. Nothing. The logo alone is a license to print money.
^This. And licensing is just one of several revenue streams Jones draws from.

The fantasy boycott movement was ineffective from day one. Jones would not abdicate his general manager authority due to a loss of jersey and ticket sales anyway. That strategy would work with a normal business person with a "huge ego."

Unfortunately, Jones was a different animal before anyone in Dallas knew his name. You cannot coerce him by attacking his financial bottom line. The key has always been to relentlessly badger his self-image. The same goes for Mike Brown in Cincinnati. It is a failed concept thinking money (or lack there of) would be the motivation for getting such individuals to ever bend backwards.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry was not praising anyone after the SF game. Fact is the front office has brought in talent, those who cover the Cowboys (not fans) see the talent on this team. Jerry is not calling the plays and Jerry is not on the sidelines. His job is to help bring in the talent and that has been done. I don't care if Jerry takes the heat or not, he is GM and the team is not getting it done
Well, group the kid in there.

The HC and OC were both clearly endorsed by one or both.

Maybe Jerry was pissed for a day, and I guess some folks bought that.

The OC couldn't adjust his balls, yet "we think the world of him."

The HC.....who reminded everyone daily that he knew how to win because it happened once before with an arguably GOAT QB who later turned on him.....had a team that didn't look all that prepared OR enthusiastic to me.....was said to have never been in trouble.

Really.....its failure after failure that's spun as being acceptable. The players hear this and know it, and the ones that have been here the longest seem to be the most apathetic.

Other teams have no problems making big moves and shaking things up. We shop in the FA bargain bin so we can overpay our draftees so we can tell ourselves how great we are at drafting, and get our friends paid.

You and I are generally on the same page, just maybe the magnitude of certain problems are seen differently.

I certainly respect if you see these things as less of a problem than I do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All the fans saw this mid season and it never got corrected. The 50 burger games vs Wash and Philly made it look like it was fixed but we all knew it wasn’t. Broaddus has said countless times that Moore doesn’t have a scheme, he has a playbook. It’s maddening to think that Mike doesn’t want to call plays. Do you think it’s because he is lazy or that the Jones/Dak don’t want that?

I think there’s a combination of things with the offense. McCarthy has known from the beginning that the Joneses love Moore and think (or thought) he was the next offensive genius and Payton or McVay. Just like they mistakenly thought Garrett was their next genius head coach.

I think Big Mike is smart enough to know that the more he leaves the offense to Moore, the less he’s open for criticism when things go wrong there. Essentially saying “It’s not my fault! He’s your guy!”

My own opinion is that these current and former head coaches can see the guaranteed big money from a multi-year contract. If you get a four or five year deal, barring quitting or improper behavior, your pay is guaranteed, win or lose, fired or not. I think McCarthy realized that and is fine with however things go. He’s set for life.

Aven8

Reaction score
I think there’s a combination of things with the offense. McCarthy has none from the beginning that the Joneses love Moore and think (or thought) he was the next offensive genius and Payton or McVay. Just like they mistakenly thought Garrett was their next genius head coach.

I think Big Mike is smart enough to know that the more he leaves the offense to Moore, the less he’s open for criticism when things go wrong there. Essentially saying “It’s not my fault! He’s your guy!”

My own opinion is that these current and former head coaches can see the guaranteed big money from a multi-year contract. If you get a four or five year deal, barring quitting or improper behavior, your pay is guaranteed, win or lose, fired or not. I think McCarthy realized that and is fine with however things go. He’s set for life.

That’s exactly what I think too. If Moore fails he can be the scapegoat. It’s obvious that he wanted No business in the offense and was letting him sink. It’s very similar to the Wade/JG year.