Twitter: Prescott deal not close

Flamma

Reaction score
But Dallas also could have the ability to protect its top free agents this offseason. If no collective bargaining agreement is reached this season, teams will have the ability to use a franchise and a transition tag this offseason, meaning Dallas could use one on Prescott and the other on free-agent-to-be wide receiver Amari Cooper.

The Transition tag is not something you want to use unless you want to test the market value of a player. It works the same way as the non exclusive Franchise tag except you get nothing in return if you refuse to match. The Transition tag is only good for a player that is asking for too much money and you want to keep him.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This is what many wanted and now it’s gonna cost us bigger money and a good player or 2. Will pay him big money eventually and won’t be able to afford a player down the road. Some of us knew with the tools he had at the end of last year and a healthy O-Line that he was going to look better this year. I will admit he has improved more than what I thought. Now he is in no hurry cause the money goes up every week. JJ wants a long term deal and Dak wants to get paid a few times as the market goes up. Could have offered him 33 a year before the season and he would have signed it.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
If we tag Prescott, he absolutely should hold out.

To think that is realistic or that the team should hardball him is silly. Teams that treat their leaders that way are destined to be crap.

It depends on his demands. If he wants to be the highest paid QB and will only sign for 4 years, then maybe you play a little hardball. He needs to compromise a little as well to make a deal work for the team to. The team needs the extra year or two to make it work cap wise. If he won’t budge on anything at all, then tag him and see what happens.

blueblood70

Reaction score
i never understood this

aslong as it dont come out my pockets who cares
you dont? we are fans of football not Contracts and money..if the FO gives him 30 or 40 and KNOW it wont kill the cap and its the right decision..

why should we CARE??!

we watch and enjoy debate argue over what happens between the lines, all the other stuff is really taking the fun out of the game so Jays sentiments are most..

Fans have no business trying to understand the real business decision from the real businessmen..

the FO have CPas, Lawyers, and Employees who handle all this, then they take the information and make the decsions.. Fans are NOT capaologists , why bother worrying about it?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
This is what many wanted and now it’s gonna cost us bigger money and a good player or 2. Will pay him big money eventually and won’t be able to afford a player down the road. Some of us knew with the tools he had at the end of last year and a healthy O-Line that he was going to look better this year. I will admit he has improved more than what I thought. Now he is in no hurry cause the money goes up every week. JJ wants a long term deal and Dak wants to get paid a few times as the market goes up. Could have offered him 33 a year before the season and he would have signed it.

No it will not. Dak was never going to sign for some unrealistically low number and he wasn’t worth top 5 money at any point until now. The difference in money that he will get now will not be as significant as you seem to think and won’t cost them any player that they actually want to keep. They have enough cap space moving forward to sign Dak and everyone else.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Jerry will pay. What world do some of ya'll live in? Jerry always pays....

Qcard

Reaction score

Cowboys!!

Dak has maximum leverage...

He's just cashing endorsement checks.

Dak's elevated himself to a level at least 3-5 other teams will give him $30-$35 million per season.

Even if Dak gets injured the dye is cast..Dak is a Top Tier QB

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think we can all rest assured that Dak isn't overly antsy to hurry his contract at this juncture. He's cleaning up, so to speak, from getting some pretty lucrative endorsements that are falling down upon him like rain. It's a good bet that Jerry won't hesitate to pay him handsomely if he should help the Cowboys to win a conference title. That's been his main watermark to retain JG and also what might spur him into getting wildly generous with Dak.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know, negotiating through the media leads to a ton of misinformation for the fans. I don't think it really matters to those involved, but it leads to some pretty interesting divisions among fans. And I may be off on the numbers, but I remember a lot of fans around here balking at $25 million per for Prescott and I'm not sure if Dallas ever tried to low ball him to that extent, but it's laughable to think some fans were complaining about $25 million. Every week we wait, that number is going up and there is no alternate universe where Dak doesn't get resigned.
A year or so back, I thought it would be less! No more than $20MM.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
A year or so back, I thought it would be less! No more than $20MM.

The way things are going at present, it's quite possible that that figure has long been forgotten by most of us. It's gotten to a point where $30 million smackers is sounding like a bargain. It's a bit scary, I know, but Jerry isn't one to skate by on pittances if he sees he'll be rewarded, too.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak set the hook on the Joneses a long time ago.

Today, the $imple que$tion i$, how long will Dak’s agent let the line play out before he land$ the big fi$h?
With the rejoinder that the longer he plays without an extension, the more he risks injury.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way things are going at present, it's quite possible that that figure has long been forgotten by most of us. It's gotten to a point where $30 million smackers is sounding like a bargain. It's a bit scary, I know, but Jerry isn't one to skate by on pittances if he sees he'll be rewarded, too.
Yup. Looks like they will set the market on QB as well as RB!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
With the rejoinder that the longer he plays without an extension, the more he risks injury.

True. Seems as though Dak is being richly rewarded already with all the endorsements that are bound to be padding his bank account nicely! He's obviously choosing to bide his time, feeling that time and his newfound skills will pay off bigtime in the foreseeable future. He just might be right! ;)
Granted, in the meantime, he's boldly gambling that his physical sturdiness won't betray him. Evidently, he's not exactly a squeamish sort! :omg:

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
No it will not. Dak was never going to sign for some unrealistically low number and he wasn’t worth top 5 money at any point until now. The difference in money that he will get now will not be as significant as you seem to think and won’t cost them any player that they actually want to keep. They have enough cap space moving forward to sign Dak and everyone else.
Let’s see if he sticks to what he said. He supposedly said he isn’t asking for sb winning qb money which is wilson money at 35 a year. So offer him 33 or 34 a year. He don’t want to sign a 7 year deal. From my understanding he wants 4 years or maybe 5. He wants to cash in again when the market is higher. I don’t blame him. But I am wondering if the more time that passes and the better he is looking and playing if his agent wont change his mind about the 35 a year.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Let’s see if he sticks to what he said. He supposedly said he isn’t asking for sb winning qb money which is wilson money at 35 a year. So offer him 33 or 34 a year. He don’t want to sign a 7 year deal. From my understanding he wants 4 years or maybe 5. He wants to cash in again when the market is higher. I don’t blame him. But I am wondering if the more time that passes and the better he is looking and playing if his agent wont change his mind about the 35 a year.

That’s the main issue right now. I think they are close enough on the money to get a deal done but Dallas needs the extra years to structure it like Zeke’s and make it team friendly. Dak and his people want to cash in again as quickly as possible so they can possibly cash in a 3rd time before he is done. There has to be give and take on each side. I suspect they will settle on a 5 year extension for slightly less than Russel Wilson money. If not, he will be franchised and have a big decision to make.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s the main issue right now. I think there are close enough on the money to get a deal done but Dallas needs the extra years to structure it like Zeke’s and make it team friendly. Dak and his people want to cash in again as quickly as possible so they can possibly splash in a 3rd time before he is done. There has to be give and take on each side. I suspect they will settle on a 5 year extension for slightly less than Russel Wilson money. If not, he will be franchised and have a big decision to make.
Sounds about right.