Game Day ***Preseason 4 Game Cowboys vs Raiders thread***

waving monkey

Reaction score
Why does it lack talent though?

Look at all the drafts that have been primed around Garret and his "offensive minded genuis" in having to "out talent" the other teams. Garrett has had the cream of the crop talent wise on the offensive side of the ball and if it weren't for Romo saving his *** would still be garbage.

Meanwhile Marinelli gets scraps and JAG's that he has to make into superstars based on scheme alone.

And I'm not blaming this pre season game on Garrett btw. I'm blaming him for everything else.
:facepalm:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
For my part, it was mostly Scandrick's reaction and the fact they appeared to be doing the ACL check. But I'm just guessing.

I think it was a lot like the reaction to Crawford's injury. Players were devastated because they thought it was an ACL. I think they thought the same possibility on this, but I'm hopeful that the fact that they walked him off the field means the doctor doesn't think it is.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
This is an old and IMO inaccurate narrative. We have spent plenty of resources on defense - they just haven't turned out as good as those on offense. Our scouts are much better identifying offensive talent than defensive talent. We had Mo, Jones, Taco and numerous 2nd rounders on defense. Either our scouts just can't find defensive gems or we can't develope them.

I respect your opinion but I do not agree. And here's why:
We drafted Mo and then switched schemes 2 years later, knowing Mo was a press man corner and switched to zone :laugh:

Also overpaid Carr who again, man corner, and switched schemes 2 years later :laugh:

Then we turn around and take a 'risk' on Gregory which is very Jerry-like. How'd that turn out?

Got Greg Hardy, how'd that turn out?

Got Escobar when we could have had Fletcher Cox.

I think our drafting issues are pretty well documented and its fair to say the defense has got a crappy end of the stick when compared to the offense. You also hit the nail on the head "numers 2nd rounders on defense." Most of those were either late 2nd rounders or 2nd round "risks" nothing guaranteed.

Meanwhile the offense got Tyron with pick 7/8, Zack Martin with pick 14, La'El Collins who would have went early round 1, Dez Bryant whom would have went top 5/10, travis frederick whom really was a 3rd round grade but the best center in the draftin round 1. The offensive side of the ball got ALL guaranteed players that would contribute right away whereas the defense got "high risk high reward" and "guys with potential." I dont believe its fair to say Byron would have the same immediate impact on defense as Dez would on offense. Same with Randy Gregory to Zack Martin. Or Taco to Tyron etc. Offense pretty much had guys that were going to contribute and have an immediate impact.

The reality is that Jerry is the main problem but he's not going anywhere.

For years people blamed Romo for the Cowboys failures, but people finally realized after last years debacle and will see this year that Garrett is the main culprit (besides Jerry)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bizarrely, he took heat in season's he was actually pretty good.

But Collins doesn't have to jump a high hurdle to match his 2016 performance.

I agree. Collins did have a rough half tonight, though.

juck

Reaction score
Lance Lenoir is awful. Cant wait to see Switzer back there.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Just stop man seriously. I'm done replying to you tonight E. I usually enjoy your posts but tonight you're just being extremely negative for a preseason game bro.

It was a very poor blocking effort. I don't know if Taco just froze him or what, but if our backup LT had done that, fans would be calling for him to be cut. I think Taco's speed surprised him.

erod

Reaction score
Just stop man seriously. I'm done replying to you tonight E. I usually enjoy your posts but tonight you're just being extremely negative for a preseason game bro.
C'mon.

The left tackle didn't even really come out of his stance. Didn't even touch Charlton. That was just a blown play by the offense.

I want Taco to be good, but that's not a real sack. That was the equivalent of dropping a wide-open touchdown pass and crediting the corner.