Pretty sure cowboy fans will be pleasantly surprised by this defense

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even great players take time in the NFL, to get their acts together. Bob Lilly was drafted to be a defensive end, and struggled there for two seasons...until they made a defensive tackle out of him. Then, he was unstoppable. Sometimes beating a triple team block...but the point isn't having to ring bells on negative standards...but excelling:

The light clicks on at different times for different players. It all takes time on the carpet...but prejudging on potential failure is a cop out for a fan. What, one is afraid of a player failing?

No more of a "cop out" than assuming that they'll be good based on the same lack of proven track record. That's the part you continue to fail to understand. You only see your side of the equation. It's fine for you to make statements based on nothing more than hope. If someone else expresses concern or questions anything, your claws come out and you're on the attack. Take a self-assessment.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And again, none of these past numbers support any of your contentions that 'this defense will surprise'.

"Trust in football players that are dedicated"? I guess that's a trait only found in Dallas? And apparently by all of their players?

"They don't have to disprove a bunch of negatives to be an aggressive force"? Maybe not to you, but to the rest of the world? Yeah, they have a lot to prove. You believe because you want to. Don't expect anyone else to do that.

It must suck to be you who is going to root for the Cowboys to lose this season so you can prove a point. And don't even try to deny it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It must suck to be you who is going to root for the Cowboys to lose this season so you can prove a point. And don't even try to deny it.

You can tell yourself whatever you want to about me. Small minds see only what they want to see, and can't handle any other possibilities.

And once again, you contribute nothing of relevance to the actual discussion, but instead criticize and attack those that think differently than you do.

The issue is with you, not anyone else.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can tell yourself whatever you want to about me. Small minds see only what they want to see, and can't handle any other possibilities.

And once again, you contribute nothing of relevance to the actual discussion, but instead criticize and attack those that think differently than you do.

Go Cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!

silver

Reaction score
Can't make chicken salad with chicken ****. The defensive line is abysmal. As good as our OL is great, our DL is at the other end of the spectrum.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't make chicken salad with chicken ****. The defensive line is abysmal. As good as our OL is great, our DL is at the other end of the spectrum.

Given the number of journeymen and unproven players, skepticism is understandable and justified. Everyone outside of this forum sees things the same way.

CCBoy

Reaction score

The point is that this defense will end up standing on it's on merit...(coughing loudly)

CCBoy

Reaction score
No more of a "cop out" than assuming that they'll be good based on the same lack of proven track record. That's the part you continue to fail to understand. You only see your side of the equation. It's fine for you to make statements based on nothing more than hope. If someone else expresses concern or questions anything, your claws come out and you're on the attack. Take a self-assessment.

No guts, no glory...I'm not doubting the Cowboys, you do.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Which means what in English?
:huh:

You understand, want to run with the big dogs, handle it...Mr. English 101. That stood on it's own merit...but you merely are insulting here. And without having enough cajunas to explain a valid alternative...that sucks. I didn't again degernate, but YOU left out topic on standing by one's team. You don't...

Explain what character issue or physical quality is missing in Irving or Lawrence?

You are NOT a mod, so start owning up to real conversation...

The Bible states that one should just remove oneself from the presence of a non-believer...sorry about that, but Casmith07 and I were both Veterans. We don't run, ...and call a spade what it is...

So what if everything is not supportive of a pessimistic view of the team, as well as an insultive labeling of both Head Coach and Owner...let's not play around now. I see your opinions as a cop out and being a coward to support even if the going may be tough.

You only provide enough of a point, in perspective only, to support a negative view. That isn't what you even attempt.

To this, a valid opinion is something to insult and demean.

A lawyer is schooled to be direct and to the core...if that hurts, tough.

Try getting into a few threads that I started on how the strengths may be developing. They were written by someone else...and not just attiudes.

There is a lot of solid play going on on the defensive side of the ball. Right now, the defensive tackles are solid and healthy, with the exception of the rook. The secondary is playing tough and the defense is sticking with a good offense...but do you notice? No, you are too busy claiming high ground on insult and not discussing what is being shown through camp.

You already have a self defeating set of excuses and instant insult for not agreeing with and pointing your stances out.

Disagreeing is one thing, lay off insulting another Veteran without really supporting the argument with facts from a source outside your selective thought process. Prove your case, without an attempted brow beat. After repeated efforts to discuss, you have proven where you sit as far as a discussion...you go back to insultive brow beat.

Actually bring in some outside and supportive information, beyond a burn barrel comparison...or sorry, you went out of your way to receive such a comment. Don't now say there I go...as I have given you a lot of statistics and quotes by sources in the media...and you return to a self appointed insult instead.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You understand, want to run with the big dogs, handle it...Mr. English 101. That stood on it's own merit...but you merely are insulting here. And without having enough cajunas to explain a valid alternative...that sucks. I didn't again degernate, but YOU left out topic on standing by one's team. You don't...

Nothing "stands" on any "merit" when it's unintelligible gobbledygook thrown around to avoid an actual point.

Explain what character issue or physical quality is missing in Irving or Lawrence?

"Character" has nothing to do with it. Tim Tebow has as good of "character" as you can find in an athlete. That doesn't change the fact that he can't play football.

The fact is that I have high hopes for both Lawrence and Irving. Trouble is, two players do not a team make. Even if those guys get double digit sacks each in a best-case scenario, if the rest aren't any good, this defense won't be either.

You are NOT a mod, so start owning up to real conversation...

Whenever you want to have a "real conversation", I'm all for that.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Nothing "stands" on any "merit" when it's unintelligible gobbledygook thrown around to avoid an actual point.

"Character" has nothing to do with it. Tim Tebow has as good of "character" as you can find in an athlete. That doesn't change the fact that he can't play football.

The fact is that I have high hopes for both Lawrence and Irving. Trouble is, two players do not a team make. Even if those guys get double digit sacks each in a best-case scenario, if the rest aren't any good, this defense won't be either.

Whenever you want to have a "real conversation", I'm all for that.

:popcorn::rolleyes:...(cough cough)

Sydla

Reaction score

I won't go that far with regards to the DL. With Thornton in the mix and assuming Crawford is recovered from his shoulder injury and McClain can stay healthy (granted big ifs), the interior DL should be fine, possibly even quite good. Throw in the possibility of Irving taking some snaps at the 3 tech as well and you could have a pretty stout and active interior.

The problem is the two slices of bread on either side of that meat. It's a total mish mash of unknown players other than Lawrence that you hope can develop. If they don't, DE is a wasteland.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I won't go that far with regards to the DL. With Thornton in the mix and assuming Crawford is recovered from his shoulder injury and McClain can stay healthy (granted big ifs), the interior DL should be fine, possibly even quite good. Throw in the possibility of Irving taking some snaps at the 3 tech as well and you could have a pretty stout and active interior.

The problem is the two slices of bread on either side of that meat. It's a total mish mash of unknown players other than Lawrence that you hope can develop. If they don't, DE is a wasteland.

Let me see...you are talking about the piece of meat between...never mind.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

They've played well vs our 1st team OL in practice (even with their injuries and players out for susp). If the very least they were abysmal, doubt they'd hold their own. Well see how it translates to actual games, but at least they aren't getting dominated by the OL.

Sydla

Reaction score
They've played well vs our 1st team OL in practice (even with their injuries and players out for susp). If the very least they were abysmal, doubt they'd hold their own. Well see how it translates to actual games, but at least they aren't getting dominated by the OL.

One thing not noted............... at least in what I have read.

Is the DL getting to the QBs to be in a position to make a sack? I know they can't hit the QBs in practice but you could get an indication if there is significant improvement in the pass rush. I've heard nothing.

I don't think containing the run is going to be an issue for us. We'll be competent there and camp bears that out. But can we get to the QB?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
One thing not noted............... at least in what I have read.

Is the DL getting to the QBs to be in a position to make a sack? I know they can't hit the QBs in practice but you could get an indication if there is significant improvement in the pass rush. I've heard nothing.

I don't think containing the run is going to be an issue for us. We'll be competent there and camp bears that out. But can we get to the QB?

Early Cowboys' Camp Reports Giving Reason For Hope On The Defensive Line