Pretty sure cowboy fans will be pleasantly surprised by this defense

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Or some could say you just want to assume that they're bad, because they're not proven to be good. You want to hope that things are better when they have a chance to be better.

The fact of the matter is that a player isnt good until he proves otherwise on the field consistently. Even if that involves having a chance to do so or not. Some players you can make assumption more than others based on recent history.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that a player isnt good until he proves otherwise on the field consistently. Even if that involves having a chance to do so or not. Some players you can make assumption more than others based on recent history.

Oh, duh...as if even great players don't take time in the NFL, to get their acts together. Bob Lilly was drafted to be a defensive end, and struggled there for two seasons...until they made a defensive tackle out of him. Then, he was unstoppable. Sometimes beating a triple team block...

The light clicks on at different times for different players. It all takes time on the carpet...but prejudging on potential failure is a cop out for a fan. What, one is afraid of a player failing?

conner01

Reaction score
I believe this defense will be much better than advertised, our secondary is underated. Our defensive line is young and unproven, but better than most people believe in. But I may be in the few that believe, but I believe the infusion of the young talent will surprise even the most pessimistic fans. We will know a lot after Saturday night, but I think the arrow is pointing upward.
I think by the second half of the season they will be ok. Gonna be tough early I think but as we get Dlaw back and they have a few games to work together I expect an ok defense

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some of that could be how one is taking a response that directs towards reasons, that get ignored, with an assumed attitude of indifference as to specifics offered for a discussion.

I'd do some self-assessment based on the above statement.

Discuss the facts, not the personality involved with an attempted discussion on a developed topic.

I suggest taking that same advice yourself, especially when you're listing "Dallas Cowboys" as a reason for confidence.

Good football players are found at every level and every type of school..every season.

Let's not try to throw this blanket statement around when we all know it's not true or accurate. Odds of success only get slimmer the farther anyone goes down the draft charts. And the statistics clearly show that to be the case. There's well-founded reason for skepticism and anyone outside of this team's fans see it and acknowledge it.

Pro Bowlers come after the basics of technique and physical development have occurred...that is rare no matter the source.

I don't see anyone expecting any "Pro Bowlers". We'll settle for competent with a surprise or two.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a lot of that going around. But you have to admit - the exact opposite is true also.

I don't know. I'm seeing more of it, and some using it as there only statements on the board, from the 'Pro' crowd. But maybe we travel in different circles? I definitely don't read all of the threads around here.

Please let the games begin soon!

No arguments there!

I'll be thrilled just seeing a preseason game where nobody actually plays!
:laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think by the second half of the season they will be ok. Gonna be tough early I think but as we get Dlaw back and they have a few games to work together I expect an ok defense

And I think that - given how good I think this offense should be - an "OK defense" should be enough for this team to win the division and possibly even make some noise in the playoffs. Personally, I would be happy with that much.

Verdict

Reaction score
My goodness, some of you guys must have had a double shot of urine in your coffee to start the day today!!! Maybe you should try Cymbalta instead. Shake off the depression!!!

On a serious note, I do not see how any reasonably objective fan wouldn't EXPECT the Cowboys to have a better win/loss record this year than last year. If you do not see us having an improved record in 2016, then be sure to get it on record here and now so we can tell you that you were right after it happens this season!!

Barring significant and multiple injuries I think we will have an improved record this year. I expect it to happen.

Verdict

Reaction score
And I think that - given how good I think this offense should be - an "OK defense" should be enough for this team to win the division and possibly even make some noise in the playoffs. Personally, I would be happy with that much.

I think that is a reasonable statement Stash. I think the Cowboys could be, on paper, better than they were in 2014. Realistically, that is asking a lot, so if they are anywhere close to 2014 production then we should have a good chance to win a lot of games.

If the defense is average, then we should be over .500. What people fail to realize is a team can improve a lot based on coaching, replacing one or two significant liabilities, and based on the strength of schedule that the team plays. Lots of factors come into play.

Verdict

Reaction score
All of those numbers invalidated by the unsupported claim that " the defense should at least be adequate to good".

But I'm in total agreement that this offense should be "strong". Given the investments made there, I feel anything outside of a top 3-5 ranking would be a big disappointment and might cost somebody their job. Barring injury of course.

I'm not as sold on the certainty of the top flight talent level of our receiver corps as many are. If Dez is the Dez of old, we will be OK or better at receiver. If he isn't we might get exposed a little bit as not being as talented at receiver as we should be.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some turnover at the receiver position this year. I hope that they use Hanna as the weapon he can be this year with his speed. I would like to see some passing off of the torch by Witten this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not as sold on the certainty of the top flight talent level of our receiver corps as many are. If Dez is the Dez of old, we will be OK or better at receiver. If he isn't we might get exposed a little bit as not being as talented at receiver as we should be.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some turnover at the receiver position this year. I hope that they use Hanna as the weapon he can be this year with his speed. I would like to see some passing off of the torch by Witten this year.

Take this for what it's worth, but Tony Romo feels the WR group is as strong as it's been in quite some time:

Romo: “We’re As Deep At The WR Position As We’ve Been In A Long Time”

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Takeaways and big plays affect more than just a statistical category. They change the momentum in the game and the alter the psyche of a team. They affect confidence and swagger and can cause offenses to be intimidated. You can't measure that affect by PPD.

In your thinking-- I guess a punt or incomplete pass is as good as a turnover b/c they both lower the PPD and DPR-- but nothing changes the outcome of a game more than turnovers. That's why every defensive coach is consistently trying to take the ball away.
If you have fewer turnovers than your opponent, you win 74% of the time.

If your passer rating is better than your opponent's, you win 81% of the time.

If you outscore your opponent on the average drive, you win 92% of the time.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not true...time of possession and total production are very important except in limiting circumstances.

With those two covered, a turn-over changing result isn't as likely...

Eventually people will stop touting the time of possession angle.

Cowboys were in the Top 10 in time of possession last year. And they stunk.

Sydla

Reaction score
I have confidence that results on the defensive side will support the offensive side, quite well. If they make up to a top 10 defense, with the production that should be on this offense...well, the Cowboys will be very tough to beat. The defense won't be giving up many homeruns...and the time of possession should be on the Dallas side of stats.

Well duh.

If the Cowboys have a Top 10 defense and an elite offense, they'll be tough to beat. That holds true for every team in the NFL. If they have a great defense and a great offense, they will be tough to beat.

The problem here is that it's highly debatable that this team has a "top 10 defense" or the makings of a "top 10 defense".

Sydla

Reaction score
My goodness, some of you guys must have had a double shot of urine in your coffee to start the day today!!! Maybe you should try Cymbalta instead. Shake off the depression!!!

On a serious note, I do not see how any reasonably objective fan wouldn't EXPECT the Cowboys to have a better win/loss record this year than last year. If you do not see us having an improved record in 2016, then be sure to get it on record here and now so we can tell you that you were right after it happens this season!!

Barring significant and multiple injuries I think we will have an improved record this year. I expect it to happen.

Other than a small handful of people, I think most people, especially in this thread, expect a better record......... as long as Romo can stay healthy, Bryant can stay healthy, etc.

The problem, or issue, though is that some feel the ceiling of this team could be lower than others think. Personally, my fear surrounds a defense that couldn't generate pressure last year and appears to have tried to fix that problem with cheap fixes hoping to hit a home run. In other words, if Romo is healthy, I think this is the offense of a 11-12 win team. However, I think we might have a defense of a 6-8 win team. And I fear it will be the defense as to why we might be disappointed come December and January because we got beat out in the end for a playoff spot or had an early exit in the playoffs.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We saw in 2014 that you can have a middling defense, but if they create a lot of turnovers it can make a big different.
The point is that if your defense ranks higher in one category, you'd rather it be points allowed (or pass rating allowed) than takeaways.

That doesn't make takeaways unimportant. It only makes takeaways less important than the other two.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Bullflop, I trust in football players that are dedicated and also take it onto the carpet. They don't first have to disprove a bunch of negatives, to be an aggressive force.

No, they don't. Here's hoping they'll demonstrate as much Sat. night. I haven't given up on them by a longshot. It's way too early yet for that.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Eventually people will stop touting the time of possession angle.

Cowboys were in the Top 10 in time of possession last year. And they stunk.

Parcells bet his left nut on that, total yardage, and another principal. He did pretty fairly with it...but he knew that it took an offense, defense, and special team play - all.

Sydla

Reaction score
Parcells bet his left nut on that, total yardage, and another principal. He did pretty fairly with it...but he knew that it took an offense, defense, and special team play - all.

That's fine. But the stats show that tie of possession can be a misleading stat. Again, the Cowboys were a Top 10 time of possession team and they were a 4 win team last year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'd do some self-assessment based on the above statement.

I suggest taking that same advice yourself, especially when you're listing "Dallas Cowboys" as a reason for confidence.

Let's not try to throw this blanket statement around when we all know it's not true or accurate. Odds of success only get slimmer the farther anyone goes down the draft charts. And the statistics clearly show that to be the case. There's well-founded reason for skepticism and anyone outside of this team's fans see it and acknowledge it.

I don't see anyone expecting any "Pro Bowlers". We'll settle for competent with a surprise or two.

Sorry, Stash...you select justifications based upon proof of a feeling...not indicating facts beyond your attitude. Some things are basic, and because of the nature of the sport, somewhat simple in solution. That's why directions taken by Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, and Jason Garrett should succeed.

CCBoy

Reaction score
That's fine. But the stats show that tie of possession can be a misleading stat. Again, the Cowboys were a Top 10 time of possession team and they were a 4 win team last year.

Look at the reasons...last season. Poor offense and mediocre defense...the most damning in that combination, was the lack of a scoring offense.

Good offense and really bad defense in 2013 - (8-8)
Good offense and solid defense in 2014 - (12-4)
Bad offense and adequate defense in 2015 - (4-12)