Pretty sure cowboy fans will be pleasantly surprised by this defense

Sydla

Reaction score
Look at the reasons...last season. Poor offense and mediocre defense...the most damning in that combination, was the lack of a scoring offense.

Good offense and really bad defense in 2013 - (8-8)
Good offense and solid defense in 2014 - (12-4)
Bad offense and adequate defense in 2015 - (4-12)

Exactly.

You are proving my point. There are other more important factors that determine a season than the time of possession stat.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, Stash...you select justifications based upon proof of a feeling...not indicating facts beyond your attitude.

Seriously? You're going to try to project your own issues into me? Good luck with that one!

:lmao:

Some things are basic, and because of the nature of the sport, somewhat simple in solution. That's why directions taken by Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, and Jason Garrett should succeed.

Yeah, some things are real "basic", like fans being hopeful despite any and all evidence to the contrary. They see what they want to see and all it reality.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Sorry, but there's no excuse for winning only ONE game without Romo.

The absence of Romo, Dez and the presence of QBs who played terribly didn't make it easier for you to forgive? Defensive injuries were also burdensome. Most teams would have faltered drastically under identical conditions. Why should the Cowboys be any different?

Last edited:

MileyDancer

Reaction score
The absence of Romo, Dez and the presence of QBs who played terribly didn't make it easier for you to forgive? Defensive injuries were also burdensome. Most teams would have faltered drastically under identical conditions. Why should the Cowboys be any different?
Just excuses.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Seriously? You're going to try to project your own issues into me? Good luck with that one!

:lmao:

Yeah, some things are real "basic", like fans being hopeful despite any and all evidence to the contrary. They see what they want to see and all it reality.

Try as one might, one just won't replace Donald Trump...

Stay in a state of disagreement, but no more conversation about points. Everyone has an opinion, but what is always shown as above, is purely attitude...with myself, you NEVER grab the mantle and discuss actual points presented.

Good night...stay smug in yourself.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Try as one might, one just won't replace Donald Trump...

Stay in a state of disagreement, but no more conversation about points. Everyone has an opinion, but what is always shown as above, is purely attitude...with myself, you NEVER grab the mantle and discuss actual points presented.

Good night...stay smug in yourself.

Oh bull**** pal!

You're not interested in "discussion", you're interested in concession. As in expecting everyone to concede your hopes and opinions as facts.

If you want to make actual "points", I'll be glad to talk about them.

cross

Reaction score
You think you will know more, but in reality, you won't. Preseason games are largely meaningless, especially for key players.

Last year, the preseason told us and the world that the Eagles might be ridiculously awesome on offense and a real threat in the NFC. How'd that work out?
Understood, but only to an extent, I am no better an evaluator of talent than anyone who follows this team. But I certainly feel like I can see promising young talent, irregardless of the situation. I, for one look forward to Saturday night, and I don't want to see the starters as much as I'd like to see our young guys. I guess we see things a little differently, but that's ok.

cross

Reaction score
If they were smart they were saying the Cowboys had freak injuries that had the team signing DL off the street and giving them significant playing time a few days later. If guys like Marvin Austin are in the rotation, it wasn't because the plan failed or the coaching failed. Its because you had freak injuries.
This post resonates well. There were many injuries in general both sides of the ball. I don't think anyone knows how good this defense can be. We will soon see though. I happen to believe it will be better than advertised.

fishspill

Reaction score
I'm expecting this to be a bottom-10 defense. If they can manage not to be then it's a win for the team as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully the offense will have the firepower we hope and they can sneak into the playoffs, defense strings together some good games, and they compete for a title. Long odds to me.

cross

Reaction score
I think by the second half of the season they will be ok. Gonna be tough early I think but as we get Dlaw back and they have a few games to work together I expect an ok defense
Agreed, lean on offense a lot early in the season. Hope to be just better than split. After week 8, I think this defense will mold nicely, just my gut feeling. We are stronger up the middle than last year, if we can generate any kind of pressure, it could be a good defense.

Kaiser

Reaction score
This post resonates well. There were many injuries in general both sides of the ball. I don't think anyone knows how good this defense can be. We will soon see though. I happen to believe it will be better than advertised.

Agree, the talent is there on defense. Not elite talent, but enough to be a playoff team. The question will be health and how the young players develop, which is true for every team and every season.

conner01

Reaction score
Agreed, lean on offense a lot early in the season. Hope to be just better than split. After week 8, I think this defense will mold nicely, just my gut feeling. We are stronger up the middle than last year, if we can generate any kind of pressure, it could be a good defense.
I'm not convinced the offense will come out of the gate on fire either. I know the talent is there but they won't get many reps in pre season and I expect them to also get better as the season goes on
I know you don't want to risk injury in pre season but I think you need many more live game reps to get sharp than they will get

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Reality check heading your way in a few weeks.

Lol...I'd love for them to turn the corner and win big.

I just feel like I've seen this movie before. Will they be good enough to win the division? Sure. Are they good enough to make a deep playoff run? Not with this defense.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Oh bull**** pal!

You're not interested in "discussion", you're interested in concession. As in expecting everyone to concede your hopes and opinions as facts.

If you want to make actual "points", I'll be glad to talk about them.

smart? Show ONE ******* fact you have presented beyond your own thought process...ONE!

Let me guess, you just don't understand all that other...

Look at the reasons...last season. Poor offense and mediocre defense...the most damning in that combination, was the lack of a scoring offense.

_______

Insults again...yet no factual statistics beyond attitude. The collapse in the team last season, was based upon the offensive side of ball. When both Dez Bryant and Tony Romo were lost for almost an entire season, well:

2015 (4-12)

Total First Downs
First Downs (Rushing-Passing-By-Penalty)
Third Down Conversions
Fourth Down Conversions
Total Offensive Yards
Offense (Plays - Average Yards)
Total Rushing Yards
Rushing (Plays - Average Yards)
Total Passing Yards
Passing (Comp - Att - INT - Avg)
Sacks
Field Goals
Touchdowns
Touchdowns (Rushing - Passing - Returns - Defensive)
Time of Posession
Turnover Ratio

Dallas Cowboys Opponents
Total First Downs 307/ 317
First Downs (Rushing-Passing-By-Penalty) 94-175-38/ 113-172-32
Third Down Conversions 66/191/ 81/208
Fourth Down Conversions 8/16/ 5/10
Total Offensive Yards 5361/ 5566
Offense (Plays - Average Yards) 963-5.53/ 995-5.58
Total Rushing Yards 1890/ 1934
Rushing (Plays - Average Yards) 408-4.6/ 461-4.2
Total Passing Yards 3677/ 3861
Passing (Comp - Att - INT - Avg) 334-528-22-7/ 330-506-8-7.6
Sacks 33/ 31
Field Goals 30/32'/ 30/36
Touchdowns 26/ 41
Touchdowns (Rushing - Passing - Returns - Defensive) 8-16-0-2 16-19-1-5
Time of Posession 31:07/ 29:08
Turnover Ratio -22

*Poor offense with an average

Bullflop, I trust in football players that are dedicated and also take it onto the carpet. They don't first have to disprove a bunch of negatives, to be an aggressive force.

Handle the best and one becomes the best...

Just as long as the roster fills out and the team is up for it's first game against the Giants...I'm going to just enjoy watching it come together. As you, I'm not doubting that they will be a positive force come the regular season.

...and the topic was:

>

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
smart? Show ONE ******* fact you have presented beyond your own thought process...ONE!

Let me guess, you just don't understand all that other...

_______

Insults again...yet no factual statistics beyond attitude. The collapse in the team last season, was based upon the offensive side of ball. When both Dez Bryant and Tony Romo were lost for almost an entire season, well:

2015 (4-12)

Total First Downs
First Downs (Rushing-Passing-By-Penalty)
Third Down Conversions
Fourth Down Conversions
Total Offensive Yards
Offense (Plays - Average Yards)
Total Rushing Yards
Rushing (Plays - Average Yards)
Total Passing Yards
Passing (Comp - Att - INT - Avg)
Sacks
Field Goals
Touchdowns
Touchdowns (Rushing - Passing - Returns - Defensive)
Time of Posession
Turnover Ratio

Dallas Cowboys Opponents
Total First Downs 307/ 317
First Downs (Rushing-Passing-By-Penalty) 94-175-38/ 113-172-32
Third Down Conversions 66/191/ 81/208
Fourth Down Conversions 8/16/ 5/10
Total Offensive Yards 5361/ 5566
Offense (Plays - Average Yards) 963-5.53/ 995-5.58
Total Rushing Yards 1890/ 1934
Rushing (Plays - Average Yards) 408-4.6/ 461-4.2
Total Passing Yards 3677/ 3861
Passing (Comp - Att - INT - Avg) 334-528-22-7/ 330-506-8-7.6
Sacks 33/ 31
Field Goals 30/32'/ 30/36
Touchdowns 26/ 41
Touchdowns (Rushing - Passing - Returns - Defensive) 8-16-0-2 16-19-1-5
Time of Posession 31:07/ 29:08
Turnover Ratio -22

*Poor offense with an average

Bullflop, I trust in football players that are dedicated and also take it onto the carpet. They don't first have to disprove a bunch of negatives, to be an aggressive force.

Handle the best and one becomes the best...

Just as long as the roster fills out and the team is up for it's first game against the Giants...I'm going to just enjoy watching it come together. As you, I'm not doubting that they will be a positive force come the regular season.

...and the topic was:

>

And again, none of these past numbers support any of your contentions that 'this defense will surprise'.

"Trust in football players that are dedicated"? I guess that's a trait only found in Dallas? And apparently by all of their players?

"They don't have to disprove a bunch of negatives to be an aggressive force"? Maybe not to you, but to the rest of the world? Yeah, they have a lot to prove. You believe because you want to. Don't expect anyone else to do that.

CCBoy

Reaction score
And again, none of these past numbers support any of your contentions that 'this defense will surprise'.

"Trust in football players that are dedicated"? I guess that's a trait only found in Dallas? And apparently by all of their players?

"They don't have to disprove a bunch of negatives to be an aggressive force"? Maybe not to you, but to the rest of the world? Yeah, they have a lot to prove. You believe because you want to. Don't expect anyone else to do that.

Even great players take time in the NFL, to get their acts together. Bob Lilly was drafted to be a defensive end, and struggled there for two seasons...until they made a defensive tackle out of him. Then, he was unstoppable. Sometimes beating a triple team block...but the point isn't having to ring bells on negative standards...but excelling:

The light clicks on at different times for different players. It all takes time on the carpet...but prejudging on potential failure is a cop out for a fan. What, one is afraid of a player failing?

Stephen A. Smith actually defends the Dallas Cowboys

I want to apologize to all of those people out there that support me and know me, that despise the Cowboys because they have the worst fan base in history. I can’t stand them. The fans, they make me sick. I just can’t stand Cowboys fans. They’re the worst. But I actually have to come to the defense of the Cowboys today because I’m objective and I’m fair.”

:facepalm: Good night, Son

Last edited: