Pretty sure cowboy fans will be pleasantly surprised by this defense

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Straight up, stats and attitudes set aside...do you think that the record for this year's Cowboys will be improving significantly from last season?

I sure do...and not even stepping out on a ledge, for that.
I like your optimism, but there are so many variables this year, I honestly don't know what to think.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
And PPD and DPR are the stats that correlate most strongly with...winning.

What exactly is your point? PPD and DPR are both drastically affected by turnovers. The more turnovers and big plays your defense delivers-- the lower the PPD and DPR will inevitably be.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
What exactly is your point? PPD and DPR are both drastically affected by turnovers. The more turnovers and big plays your defense delivers-- the lower the PPD and DPR will inevitably be.
Takeaways are just one of the elements that determines how many points you allow and how well you stop the pass. The fact that they're a big part doesn't lessen the importance of what they're a part of. That wouldn't make sense.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Takeaways are just one of the elements that determines how many points you allow and how well you stop the pass. The fact that they're a big part doesn't lessen the importance of what they're a part of. That wouldn't make sense.

Takeaways and big plays affect more than just a statistical category. They change the momentum in the game and the alter the psyche of a team. They affect confidence and swagger and can cause offenses to be intimidated. You can't measure that affect by PPD.

In your thinking-- I guess a punt or incomplete pass is as good as a turnover b/c they both lower the PPD and DPR-- but nothing changes the outcome of a game more than turnovers. That's why every defensive coach is consistently trying to take the ball away.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I like your optimism, but there are so many variables this year, I honestly don't know what to think.

I have base line confidence in a number of things:

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. The selection process in place with the current Scout Department/Coaches
3. With Rolando McClain and Gregory on hold, the dedication of physically gifted players
4. Youth on the team
5. Growing player leadership
6. Tony Romo and his many weapons now
7. Non empirical reliance upon Rod Marrinelli, and his view of defense and an aggressive application that has boundaries-he likes an aggressive group on defense

Both Jerry and Stephen Jones will stick to the measured game plan, but leave no stone unturned for quality

I have a Cowboys hat, that has a star and Just Do It

CCBoy

Reaction score
Takeaways and big plays affect more than just a statistical category. They change the momentum in the game and the alter the psyche of a team. They affect confidence and swagger and can cause offenses to be intimidated. You can't measure that affect by PPD.

In your thinking-- I guess a punt or incomplete pass is as good as a turnover b/c they both lower the PPD and DPR-- but nothing changes the outcome of a game more than turnovers. That's why every defensive coach is consistently trying to take the ball away.

Not true...time of possession and total production are very important except in limiting circumstances.

With those two covered, a turn-over changing result isn't as likely...

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Hard for most fans, but it's invaluable for the coaches. Does the player do what he is supposed to do. I don't care if it's a 4th team guy against a 1st team guy. Does he stay in his assignment.
This is for the coaches. For us fans, it's for the entertainment and to win. So some think a player can be good, others will blow it off as scrubs against scrubs.
Truth is, we just don't know.

I remember some years ago. There was a rb last name lattimore in preseason. I thought he looked great and was going to be a star for us. He didn't even make the team. Lol

CCBoy

Reaction score
I remember some years ago. There was a rb last name lattimore in preseason. I thought he looked great and was going to be a star for us. He didn't even make the team. Lol
Rooting for a darkhorse is allowable...

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I have base line confidence in a number of things:

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. The selection process in place with the current Scout Department/Coaches
3. With Rolando McClain and Gregory on hold, the dedication of physically gifted players
4. Youth on the team
5. Growing player leadership
6. Tony Romo and his many weapons now
7. Non empirical reliance upon Rod Marrinelli, and his view of defense and an aggressive application that has boundaries-he likes an aggressive group on defense

Both Jerry and Stephen Jones will stick to the measured game plan, but leave no stone unturned for quality

I have a Cowboys hat, that has a star and Just Do It

Rod has done nothing here that makes me have any confidence in him or his defensive gameplan. He's way too stubborn in his philosophy of not blitzing. The one time he actually did it against the Skins on MNF, it worked. Then went away with it. Do not understand it. If you let an NFL QB sit back with zero pressure, he will eat you up every time. And that is what we see.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Rod has done nothing here that makes me have any confidence in him or his defensive gameplan. He's way too stubborn in his philosophy of not blitzing. The one time he actually did it against the Skins on MNF, it worked. Then went away with it. Do not understand it. If you let an NFL QB sit back with zero pressure, he will eat you up every time. And that is what we see.

I have confidence that results on the defensive side will support the offensive side, quite well. If they make up to a top 10 defense, with the production that should be on this offense...well, the Cowboys will be very tough to beat. The defense won't be giving up many homeruns...and the time of possession should be on the Dallas side of stats.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The point is that they're unproven . You just want to assume that they're proven good, because they're not proven to be bad. You want to hope that things are better when they have a chance to be worse.
Or some could say you just want to assume that they're bad, because they're not proven to be good. You want to hope that things are better when they have a chance to be better.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I didn't say it wasn't if that's what you mean. I'm just saying how they can look good in preseason and sometimes it doesn't matter.

Sorry, guy...I don't take many negative stances, when development is involved. Men grow as well...some stronger, albeit, but none-the-less, one also roots for the struggle for improvement and sport in it. That has legs of it's own...and for a fan of football, very rewarding standing alone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or some could say you just want to assume that they're bad, because they're not proven to be good. You want to hope that things are better when they have a chance to be better.

We all want to "hope" things are better, because all differences of opinions aside, we all root for the Cowboys and we all want them to have success. What bothers me is those that quickly go on the attack - often initiating argument and discourse where it doesn't exist - in the name of 'protecting their Cowboys'.

I think we all know the number of unknowns that turn out to be stars, versus the number of unknowns that don't. And the numbers are clearly on the 'don't' side. It's a rarity to find a diamond in the rough, not a regularity. That's why team's invest so much in scouting and personnel departments. Because they're hard to find, not easy.

CCBoy

Reaction score
We all want to "hope" things are better, because all differences of opinions aside, we all root for the Cowboys and we all want them to have success. What bothers me is those that quickly go on the attack - often initiating argument and discourse where it doesn't exist - in the name of 'protecting their Cowboys'.

I think we all know the number of unknowns that turn out to be stars, versus the number of unknowns that don't. And the numbers are clearly on the 'don't' side. It's a rarity to find a diamond in the rough, not a regularity. That's why team's invest so much in scouting and personnel departments. Because they're hard to find, not easy.

Some of that could be how one is taking a response that directs towards reasons, that get ignored, with an assumed attitude of indifference as to specifics offered for a discussion.

Discuss the facts, not the personality involved with an attempted discussion on a developed topic.

Good football players are found at every level and every type of school..every season.

Pro Bowlers come after the basics of technique and physical development have occurred...that is rare no matter the source.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
20 years? Lol. I bet you complain when Santa don't eat the cookies. I m early Saif we will be better on defense than most think, your right, is my opinion, it must suck to not believe. I can not promise we will be better, I just think we are much better off than we were, please watch the game Saturday night. Open your mind bro !!
LOL Dang right Santa better eat those cookies!!
I guess the question is, does it suck worse to have all your hopes or beliefs blown away only to realize you we're staring at a mirage with your name attached to it since there's really nothing to hang your hat on with your take. Or to keep an even keel by waiting to see what really goes down with our defense this year (in about 2 months) and celebrating anything better than what has been produced over the last 2 decades?
Pick your poison but I'm hanging with the latter group. I'm just not the cheerleader type.
And don't worry, I'm not the type to come back to say, "I told you so", however I hope that your able to tell me "you told me so" which will mean our defense is for real.
We'll see.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

We saw in 2014 that you can have a middling defense, but if they create a lot of turnovers it can make a big different.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What bothers me is those that quickly go on the attack - often initiating argument and discourse where it doesn't exist - in the name of 'protecting their Cowboys'.
There is a lot of that going around. But you have to admit - the exact opposite is true also. Please let the games begin soon!