Prime Romo would win the Super Bowl with the current Cowboys

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Go take a poll there is no fan here that thinks Dak is a top 5 QB that should be paid 100 million. You think Romo was a god and would turn **** into gold.
Your memory isn’t correct. I was a critic of Romo too.

In comparison though Dak does prop up Romos passing ability considerably though.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Romo never had a Defense that was this good. He also never got to play with Zeke. Romo’s Quick release, sliding within the pocket, and Houdini escapability would make the o-line better. His accuracy would make Cooper, Beasley, and Gallup better. Too bad Dak makes receivers and the o-line worse.

This coaching staff? No way.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Your memory isn’t correct. I was a critic of Romo too.
So *** are you talking about lol. No one has said Dak is great and better than romo was. But Romo was not good enough to lead a team past where he led them to. That's a fact.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The run game not being good is bogus. We just wouldn't commit to using it, even when it was working. We were typically top half in the league in average yards per carry but bottom half of league in rushing attempts. We even did well converting 3rd and short running the ball contrary to popular opinion.

Here is an article in 2013 wondering why the team won't run.

https://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/12/17/the-all-22-cowboys-run-game-demarco-murray-packers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000299618/article/packers-happy-cowboys-abandoned-running-game

"That's just who they are," cornerback Tramon Williams said. "They run the ball really well against everybody they play, but they just never stick with it."

"Oh, my God. It's the best zone scheme in the league," Pickett continued. "The last four weeks, nobody could stop it -- their zone scheme. And they gave up on it. We're just happy they did. We were, like, 'OK, we'll take it.'"

This is why I threw in the Garrett bit earlier and how he is the only thing that could screw it up.

2014 when Linehan took over he brought balance to a pass happy football team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Go take a poll there is no fan here that thinks Dak is a top 5 QB that should be paid 100 million. You think Romo was a god and would turn **** into gold.

Well... You saw how some of those teams looked without him.

He was a 1 man band almost.

cern

Reaction score
Romo had his chances and failed to get us to the big dance.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I understand it has been discovered that while the starting QB of the Cowboys, Romo cured cancer, solved the homeless issues in America, and came up with a no cost fix for those shopping carts with wobbly wheels.

What a guy. He could make average players into champions.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Romo never had a Defense that was this good. He also never got to play with Zeke. Romo’s Quick release, sliding within the pocket, and Houdini escapability would make the o-line better. His accuracy would make Cooper, Beasley, and Gallup better. Too bad Dak makes receivers and the o-line worse.
it doesn't matter stop living in the past

sean10mm

Reaction score
My Hot Take is that Romo was a very good but not historically great player on a team run by utter morons. Expecting him to be a magical savior of a trash organization, and then being mad when it didn't happen, was just a fundamentally dumb take on things. Everybody isn't Roger Staubach. Also, Roger Staubach is like 76 years old. And Staubach had Landry, just like Aikman had Jimmy Johnson, Brady had Belichick, Montana had Walsh, and so on and so on.

If the Cowboys had a literal living legend of this era like Tom Brady instead of Tony Romo in the 2000s-2010s could they have done better? Sure, why not... but if you're just going to sit around waiting for the new greatest player of his generation to appear in your lap to save you from being stupid about everything, you're probably going to be waiting a long time. In the meantime you should be maximizing what you get out of the kind of players you realistically CAN get, instead of pissing it away trying to party like it's 1992 on offense but with Cole Beasly as your Michael Irvin which lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He's an average qb, that takes care of the football. But he's right where PFF has him at around 16th-17th in the league.
I don’t know what PFF is but NFL.com official stats have him 23rd in the league and our offense is 26th.
Which is our lowest ranking since the Campo era.

Quincy is a pretty good comparison. Which last time we had a top defense it carried Carter to the playoffs.

lk8701

Reaction score
Romo was a perennial top 10 QB. Dak is in the bottom 5 of starters.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Did you not watch our games when he was out? If not I don't blame you.

We literally were one of the worst 5 teams in football and landed Zeke because of it.
A geriatric Brad Johnson sucked in 2008 when Romo was hurt.
Kitna did well in 2010 when Romo went out. McGee sucked but we won a game Philly didn't try to win in week 17.
Cutler did OK in the week 17 loss to Philly in 2012.
Weeden was bad in the game against Arizona in 2014, but played well in short relieve for Romo against the Commanders when Romo got hurt.
We sucked in 2015 with Cassel, Moore, and Weeden, but the offense produced about the same rate with them as they did in the few games Romo was able to play in.
Dak played extremely well in 2016 as a rookie thrust into the starting position because 1 & 2 went down in preseason.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
A geriatric Brad Johnson sucked in 2008 when Romo was hurt.
Kitna did well in 2010 when Romo went out. McGee sucked but we won a game Philly didn't try to win in week 17.
Cutler did OK in the week 17 loss to Philly in 2012.
Weeden was bad in the game against Arizona in 2014, but played well in short relieve for Romo against the Commanders when Romo got hurt.
We sucked in 2015 with Cassel, Moore, and Weeden, but the offense produced about the same rate with them as they did in the few games Romo was able to play in.
Dak played extremely well in 2016 as a rookie thrust into the starting position because 1 & 2 went down in preseason.

I'm not even going to try and have a conversation about any of the Pre-2016 Romoless Cowboys. They were awful and I don't care what stat says they moved at the same rate. I watched the games and it was putrid.

Dak had an incredible rookie year no doubt. Can't take that away from him.

But tendencies in the offense and bad coaching have been his undoing.

He's still good when Cole Beasley is good but if Cole is slowed down then Dak is on the bad side of mediocre instead of the good side of mediocre. Regardless. He's always mediocre.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Prime Romo doesn't exist so it doesn't matter. These what if scenarios mean and accomplish about as much as he did as a player.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I'm not even going to try and have a conversation about any of the Pre-2016 Romoless Cowboys. They were awful and I don't care what stat says they moved at the same rate. I watched the games and it was putrid.

Dak had an incredible rookie year no doubt. Can't take that away from him.

But tendencies in the offense and bad coaching have been his undoing.

He's still good when Cole Beasley is good but if Cole is slowed down then Dak is on the bad side of mediocre instead of the good side of mediocre. Regardless. He's always mediocre.
Agree it was putrid. So was the offense against Philly in week 2, not much better against Miami when Romo came back and absolutely sucked against Carolina.