Prime Romo would win the Super Bowl with the current Cowboys

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Agree it was putrid. So was the offense against Philly in week 2, not much better against Miami when Romo came back and absolutely sucked against Carolina.

Agreed but he had no business playing against Carolina.

He rushed back because we couldn't win a game without him and he tried to save the season.

dckid

Reaction score
Romo nevers this good. He also never got to play with Zeke. Romo’s Quick release, sliding within the pocket, and Houdini escapability would make the o-line better. His accuracy would make Cooper, Beasley, and Gallup better. Too bad Dak makes receivers and the o-line worse.

I guess this is what we discuss during bye weeks.
I love Romo, he would be great for the new "new " NFL, but let's be
Romo never had a Defense that was this good. He also never got to play with Zeke. Romo’s Quick release, sliding within the pocket, and Houdini escapability would make the o-line better. His accuracy would make Cooper, Beasley, and Gallup better. Too bad Dak makes receivers and the o-line worse.

I guess this is what we talk about during the bye week.
I love Romo, he was super exciting and just what this franchise needed. He save Jerry's a**, or he enabled and prolonged the incompetent coaching era that we are still living in.

Romo did have his changes :
2007, prob the best Cowboy team since the SB years
2009 again very good and great defense. Got his first Playoff win, team did nothing against the Vikings
2014- Romo was at his weakest during this era, I think JG took the ball out of his hands and really relied on the running game. He just wasn't the same player he was in 07 or 09.

He was never in the class of
Brady, Manning,Brees, Favre, Rogers
Big Ben, Phillip Rivers, Cam Newton, not even Eli Manning
Not even Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Stafford, Matt Ryan

When you honestly look at his peers, its tough to classify him over any of these guys . I would personally take him over Eli and probably Stafford.
The proof is in the pudding, he never had a signature win in the playoffs, couldn't get us over the hump. How many times did we lose the last game of the year with the playoffs on the line. Remember our Sunday night nightmares against the Giants. Remember RG3 monday night Romo loses the game with his turnovers.
Romo put up numbers, made way more money than he deserved, having said all this I loved the guy. He was what this team needed and if a couple of bounce's went our way we probably host a couple of championship games.

I still dont think Dak is the answer.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Romo never had a Defense that was this good. He also never got to play with Zeke. Romo’s Quick release, sliding within the pocket, and Houdini escapability would make the o-line better. His accuracy would make Cooper, Beasley, and Gallup better. Too bad Dak makes receivers and the o-line worse.

I agree with your closing sentence

That said I am one of the biggest Romo supporters you will ever find, but I'm not sure I would go so far as to say this years team would win a Superbowl with Romo

The Rams are looking really good right now

that said I have zero doubt in my mind that this offense would be way more prolific with Romo under Center. Zero doubt

I just think guaranteeing a Super Bowl might be a little strong. I think we would absolutely be considered to be in the mix

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's pretty simple. Great players make players around them better. Kind of like the jags Romo made look better, they just had chemistry to produce. If you put Romo in his prime on a team like the 89' Cowboys he wouldn't be making many players look better than they are.
I think we decided a long time ago to agree to disagree on the subject of Romo.
I'm just glad we can do it respectfully.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Did you not watch our games when he was out? If not I don't blame you.

We literally were one of the worst 5 teams in football and landed Zeke because of it.
Well anytime you have bums behind your starting QB it's bound to look like that. Most teams could not win without their starting QB for a long period of time.

Big_D

Reaction score
Isn't 'the process' a big part of winning? Building a quality team, making smart decisions, drafting well, bringing in experienced coaches and solid free agents. All those things go hand in hand. But apparently they mean nothing in this case. And I'm sure bringing in a zero experience OC along with a fluff HC was the smart move back in 2007. LOL Luckily Jerry knew exactly what Romo needed at the time.

Last edited:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Agreed but he had no business playing against Carolina.

He rushed back because we couldn't win a game without him and he tried to save the season.

I can't imagine anyone would disagree wuththis statement

This is along the lines of sun rises in East and sets in West

You are absolutely correct. Clearly still wasn't anywhere near 100%

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A defense this good *is* what we needed during the Romo years. We blew the chance to make it good enough by taking circus shots on troubled or injured players and sitting on our hands a bit too much in FA. And by spending our premium draft capital at the wrong position.

But this OL isn't what it was or what it needs to be, either, unfortunately.
Wasted too many years trying to make the 3-4 work when we failed miserably to acquire talent for it. A 3-4 is a harder scheme to fit talent to begin with. But when you either ignore the need to add talent or miss when you actually try, it becomes impossible to run effectively

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
Prior to acquiring Amari, I'd agree with you. But I think he moves the needle quite a bit, we'll see how that affects Dak and the offense.

But before Cooper got here, yeah, Dak has had nothing to work with. Worse than any group Romo has had to work with by far (Receiver personnel).

The defense is very good and better than what we had from 2010-current, but the 2006-2009 D was pretty good too. Can't pretend like Romo never had good teams.

Romo had mostly mediocre defenses, with some being a little better than average, and others were atrocious.

Year ---- Yards ---- Points Allowed (Ranking)
2006 ---- 13 ---- 20
2007 ---- 9 ---- 13
2008 ---- 20 ---- 8
2009 ---- 9 ---- 2
2010 ---- 23 ---- 31
2011 ---- 14 ---- 16
2012 ---- 19 ---- 24
2013 ---- 32 ---- 26
2014 ---- 19 ---- 15
2015 ---- 17 ---- 16

2016 and 2017 we had decent defensive rankings, and those 2 seasons are better than any back to back seasons in the Romo era. The 2018 defense is definitely better than any defense with which Romo played.

2016 ---- 14 ---- 5
2017 ---- 8 ---- 13
2018 ---- 3 ---- 2

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
How about the lack of a consistent run game that Romo had to cope with throughput his career...

Rank Rushing Yards (Offense)
2006 - 10
2007 - 17
2008 - 20
2009 - 6
2010 - 15
2011 - 17
2012 - 31
2013 - 25
2014 - 2
2015 - 9

Dak Era Rush Yards Rankings
2016 - 2
2017 - 2
2018 - 3

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
No. Bill absolutely spoke on the relationship. Bill, according to Bill, said that he wanted complete control over Football decisions. Bill wanted input which is another way of saying he wanted control. Jerry said many times that all decision were made jointly. Bill was never a yes man but I believe that, like what happened with Jimmy, Jerry wanted more control and it became a problem. I personally believe that Jerry wanted JG to become a significant part of the team and I don't believe Bill was open to that. That's just my opinion though.
The extent between being a "yes" man and complete control over football operations is the entire range. If Bill wanted total control then I could see how that would conflict with Jerry because Jerry has always wanted the final decision over player personnel being the self-appointed GM and all. But this doesn't deny what Jerry claims, which is decisions were collective, nor does it imply that Jerry wanted more control over Bill.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The run game not being good is bogus. We just wouldn't commit to using it, even when it was working. We were typically top half in the league in average yards per carry but bottom half of league in rushing attempts. We even did well converting 3rd and short running the ball contrary to popular opinion.

Here is an article in 2013 wondering why the team won't run.

https://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/12/17/the-all-22-cowboys-run-game-demarco-murray-packers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000299618/article/packers-happy-cowboys-abandoned-running-game

"That's just who they are," cornerback Tramon Williams said. "They run the ball really well against everybody they play, but they just never stick with it."

"Oh, my God. It's the best zone scheme in the league," Pickett continued. "The last four weeks, nobody could stop it -- their zone scheme. And they gave up on it. We're just happy they did. We were, like, 'OK, we'll take it.'"
So you're saying it was the play caller's fault Romo didn't win more?