Pro Football Network Final 2023 Offensive Line Rankings

DFWJC

Reaction score
Pretty sure PFF (so purely analytical) had Dallas in the top 6-7 in the final 2023 rankings.

Don't shoot the messenger. Just sayin'
This Pro Football Network ranking is not a big outlier.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
I was expecting fringe top 8 so not far off. 3rd in the league in passing yards per game and then 14th in rushing yards per game. Interested to see what changes they make next year in the lineup and see if they can improve run game
This group (PlayerProfiler) seemed to agree with you.

They had the O-line listed in their with Dallas in Tier 2. Looks like about 10th if in order

TIER 1 (Elite)
Lions
Eagles

TIER 2 (Great, not Elite)
Raven
Falcons
Rams
Raiders
Broncos
Vikings
Colts
Cowboys

TIER 3 (Good season with obvious flaws)
Chiefs
Bills
Packers
49ers
Dolphins

TIER 4 (average and forgettable)
Commanders
Bucs
Bengals
etc

TIER 5 (walking wounded)
etc
etc
etc

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
According to pro football reference 40 sacks ties them for 12th. behind, your charts is missing some teams. The Bills, Chiefs, Packers, Lions, Dolphins, Rams, 49ers, Saints, Steelers, Seahawks and Eagles gave up fewer sacks than Dallas.
Regardless they gave up a lot of sacks. This is a prime example that statistics don’t always tell the real story.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
This is a prime example that statistics don’t always tell the real story.
Kind of like when the QB throws for 400 yards and 3 TD and his devoted fans say he did his job, but the reality is we were down 3 scores at halftime because he threw for 87 yards and 2 INT (one pick 6) in the first half?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Kind of like when the QB throws for 400 yards and 3 TD and his devoted fans say he did his job, but the reality is we were down 3 scores at halftime because he threw for 87 yards and 2 INT (one pick 6) in the first half?
No, not like that.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I did a deeper dive into the stats.

One thing about these stats is that the two top rated lines gave their QB the most time to pass in the pocket. This partly shows just how bad Hurts was this year compared to last year--even with elite pocket time he just stunk it up.

Let's not pretend that Dak wasn't hurt by his receivers. Mahomes led the lead in passes dropped by receivers at 39. Dak was second with 38.

If I told you Dak led the league in Red Zone passing attempts with 104 would you be surprised? Second highest was Jordan Love with 93.

Brock Purdy by far had the most passing yards per attempt at 9.6. Tua was second at 8.3. Dak's was 7.7.

Dak was blitzed 163 times. For comparison, Love 215, Goff 213, Allen 182, Hurts 185, Tua 116, Mahomes 132.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I did a deeper dive into the stats.

One thing about these stats is that the two top rated lines gave their QB the most time to pass in the pocket. This partly shows just how bad Hurts was this year compared to last year--even with elite pocket time he just stunk it up.

Let's not pretend that Dak wasn't hurt by his receivers. Mahomes led the lead in passes dropped by receivers at 39. Dak was second with 38.

If I told you Dak led the league in Red Zone passing attempts with 104 would you be surprised? Second highest was Jordan Love with 93.

Brock Purdy by far had the most passing yards per attempt at 9.6. Tua was second at 8.3. Dak's was 7.7.

Dak was blitzed 163 times. For comparison, Love 215, Goff 213, Allen 182, Hurts 185, Tua 116, Mahomes 132.

Thank you for that. very helpful

DFWJC

Reaction score
So you're going to trust a list on Pro Football Network over what your own eyes showed you during the season? Weird, but okay.
I know this wasn't for me but....
Rankings are relative things. So how Dallas' overall line stacks up to the other overall lines across the league

I guess if a person watched every game of every team he might begin to maybe be able to do a real ranking.

I've now looked at 3 final rankings....so I'm guessing maybe 20-30 people watched all the tape and graded each game for every team.

All three of the rankings had Dallas in the 5-10 range

Maybe the oline play down across the league

That doesn't mean we don't need upgrades.

Nexx

Reaction score
I know this wasn't for me but....
Rankings are relative things. So how Dallas' overall line stacks up to the other overall lines across the league

I guess if a person watched every game of every team he might begin to maybe be able to do a real ranking.

I've now looked at 3 final rankings....so I'm guessing maybe 20-30 people watched all the tape and graded each game for every team.

All three of the rankings had Dallas in the 5-10 range

Maybe the oline play down across the league

That doesn't mean we don't need upgrades.
its called our fans are delusional and expect our line to literally be perfect on every play. its not realistic. i watch every team struggle with oline play every game.

CowboysFilmStudy

Reaction score
Pro Football Network Final 2023 OL Rank

1. Philadelphia
  2. Baltimore
  3. Indianapolis
  4. Detroit
  5. Minnesota
  6. DALLAS
  7. Cleveland
  8. Green Bay
  9. Atlanta
  10. LA Rams
  11. Tampa Bay
  12. Las Vegas
  13. Denver
  14. Kansas City
  15. San Francisco
  16. Buffalo
  17. New England
  18. Houston
  19. Pittsburgh
  20. LA Chargers
  21. Cincinnati
  22. Arizona
  23. Miami
  24. Chicago
  25. Washington
  26. New Orleans
  27. Seattle
  28. Jacksonville
  29. Carolina
  30. NY Jets
  31. NY Giants
  32. Tennessee

6th is pretty generous to put it lightly.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Let's see:

5th in points allowed per game
1st in team offense
3rd in passing offense
1st in kicking
5th in scoring offense
1st in third down conversions

last in playoff wins

DFWJC

Reaction score
Let's see:

5th in points allowed per game
1st in team offense
3rd in passing offense
1st in kicking
5th in scoring offense
1st in third down conversions

last in playoff wins
So tied for "last" with 26 other teams in that area.
After this week it'll be tied with between 24-26 other teams for "last"
Underachieved though, in that we can all agree.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
In their Final full Offensive Line unit rankings, Did that add up to top 10? top 5? Honest question

I noticed they came out with the full Offensive line unit rankings but I couldn't see them

Where was Dallas ranked as a unit?
12th in team pass blocking and 13th in team run blocking. I do not see a pure offensive line score.
My sub is the mid-level one not the highest klevel so may be some things I don't see.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
PFF scored 7 starting defenders below 50 in the playoff game.
Yikes!.

DFWJC

Reaction score
12th in team pass blocking and 13th in team run blocking. I do not see a pure offensive line score.
My sub is the mid-level one not the highest klevel so may be some things I don't see.
PFF Final 2023 O-Line Rankings

Here is the link.
I can only see the top 4
  1. Philly
  2. Detroit
  3. Indy
  4. Atlanta
I know Dallas was 3rd entering week 18, but was glad to see they didn't stay that high. But I assume tey are probably top 6.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak was 3rd on the season for PFF at QB, rated a 90.

But his playoff game score was a poor 60 which equates to Sam Howell. #notgood. but better than ~14 other Cowboys starters in that game including Zach Martin and Brandin Cooks.