Pro Wrestling Updates

DanteEXT

Reaction score
It sounds like you’re lowering expectations so they hit the mark.
While Punk was there, the ratings were better. Was that because of him, maybe. The average for so far for 2023 is 888722, close to 2021 and better than 2020. 2022 was 955712.

If Punk brought extra eyeballs (and it seems he did) I can understand if those eyeballs left with him.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
It sounds like you’re lowering expectations so they hit the mark.
Do you happen to recall what may have been going on back in late May thru June 2021? I was looking at the historical ratings, and wow.... Hotly contested NBA or NHL finals maybe?

4/28/2021 889000
5/5/2021 1090000
5/13/2021 936000
5/20/2021 821000
5/28/2021 526000
6/4/2021 462000
6/11/2021 487000
6/18/2021 552000

6/26/2021 649000
6/30/2021 883000
7/7/2021 871000

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While Punk was there, the ratings were better. Was that because of him, maybe. The average for so far for 2023 is 888722, close to 2021 and better than 2020. 2022 was 955712.

If Punk brought extra eyeballs (and it seems he did) I can understand if those eyeballs left with him.
He undeniably sparked an uptick in numbers. But even that didn’t last.

And as you’ve noted yourself, the overall viewer numbers are down. Despite all of the tricks, shocks, swerves, announcements, and signing of scores more ‘game changers’, the viewership is going down.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you happen to recall what may have been going on back in late May thru June 2021? I was looking at the historical ratings, and wow.... Hotly contested NBA or NHL finals maybe?

4/28/2021 889000
5/5/2021 1090000
5/13/2021 936000
5/20/2021 821000
5/28/2021 526000
6/4/2021 462000
6/11/2021 487000
6/18/2021 552000

6/26/2021 649000
6/30/2021 883000
7/7/2021 871000
Sounds like more excuses. Monday Night RAW goes up against the king of sports for half the year. It’s certainly a factor for those few weeks but no excuse for all the rest.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Sounds like more excuses. Monday Night RAW goes up against the king of sports for half the year. It’s certainly a factor for those few weeks but no excuse for all the rest.
Excuses...umm, no, it was actually a legitimate question. I was scrolling down through the ratings around Punk's debut and saw that absolute nosedive in ratings for about a month.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Never mind the previous response. I think I figured it out. 5/28 thru 6/18 were Fridays and 6/26 was a Saturday.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Predictions on tonight's WWE Backlash?
It was a tremendous show! From the opening bout to the final finish, it was excellent! The Puerto Rico crowd deserves credit for being engaged and into it all night long. A hot crowd adds to a great PLE. And nobody can compete with WWE’s star power and work rate. This is how it’s done.

To anyone who has the ability to watch, I cannot recommend this one more highly. And this is coming from a fan who thought this was a throwaway, filler PLE. I couldn’t have been more wrong and I’m so glad I watched it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a tremendous show! From the opening bout to the final finish, it was excellent! The Puerto Rico crowd deserves credit for being engaged and into it all night long. A hot crowd adds to a great PLE. And nobody can compete with WWE’s star power and work rate. This is how it’s done.

To anyone who has the ability to watch, I cannot recommend this one more highly. And this is coming from a fan who thought this was a throwaway, filler PLE. I couldn’t have been more wrong and I’m so glad I watched it.
It was. I am still in shock. The return of old Lucha wrestlers was really something. The outcome of the matches was pretty predictable but overall it was a really good show. That crowd was very impressive.

DanteEXT

Reaction score

Haven't watched WWE in forever, but maybe I will pull this one up.

Back in the Network days and I was a subscriber I remember a lot of the in-between the big PPV shows as being entertaining yet still.... probably could have been done on weekly TV.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haven't watched WWE in forever, but maybe I will pull this one up.

Back in the Network days and I was a subscriber I remember a lot of the in-between the big PPV shows as being entertaining yet still.... probably could have been done on weekly TV.
Definitely. There were ‘The Big Four’ and then a lot of less eventful, forgettable shows in between. Backlash was always one of those coming after Wrestlemania and that’s what I was expecting again this year. I couldn’t have been more wrong and I’m glad for that.

I think with HHH in charge of Creative, we can expect better quality shows on a regular basis. I’ve found that to be the case so far, and overall I’m enjoying WWE’s product more than I have in years.

If you can watch Backlash, I highly recommend that you do.
:thumbup:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was a lot of ho-hum ppv's that's for sure. I agree with Stash in being optimistic Trips can get them consistently good.

There is simply too much talent on their roster so there is no reason or excuse for them to put on a bad show.

rags

Reaction score
Fox announced their Fall TV lineup today. There was no mention of the WWE.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fox announced their Fall TV lineup today. There was no mention of the WWE.
However, a potentially bad sign that FOX could be dropping WWE in their upcoming 2024 TV lineup was revealed today. Depending on how the media rights talks go with FOX and NBCUniversal (USA Network’s parent company), WWE could go to different networks for its television shows. FOX CEO Lachlan Murdoch previously stated that he hoped WWE’s new owner would be good before Vince McMahon signed off on WWE being acquired by the Endeavor Group.
https://www.sescoops.com/news/fox-a...y,Raw on the USA Network, reaching more homes.

rags

Reaction score
However, a potentially bad sign that FOX could be dropping WWE in their upcoming 2024 TV lineup was revealed today. Depending on how the media rights talks go with FOX and NBCUniversal (USA Network’s parent company), WWE could go to different networks for its television shows. FOX CEO Lachlan Murdoch previously stated that he hoped WWE’s new owner would be good before Vince McMahon signed off on WWE being acquired by the Endeavor Group.
https://www.sescoops.com/news/fox-announces-2023-24-tv-lineup-wwe-smackdown-not-included#:~:text=WWE has been airing Friday Night SmackDown every,Raw on the USA Network, reaching more homes.
It's my understanding that the WWE wasn't mentioned at the Universal talks either. No one from the WWE was there.

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/wwe-2023-upfronts-missing-why-nbcuniversal-fox/

rags

Reaction score
Any predictions on today's WWE Night of Champions or tomorrow's NXT Battleground?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any predictions on today's WWE Night of Champions or tomorrow's NXT Battleground?
First off, I’d say in the most anticlimactic farce of a ‘tournament’, Seth Rollins becomes the new secondary Heavyweight champion.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both feature some good matches.

WWE: My eye will be on the Cody/Brock match. I'm still shocked he didn't get the new belt so what is the new plan for him? Seth/AJ should be a instant classic. I love both so don't care who wins, but I'm picking Seth. VERY underutilized. Notice all the womens matches? Remember when there were none?

AEW: Anarchy in the Arena - highlight of the wrestling weekend. Also I've always been a Battle Royal fan. Wardlow/Cage ladder match is intriguing. Jericho/Cole should be a war. BAY BAY. The rest is blah.

3 day weekend with 2 PPV's and 2 races plus lots of fam coming over to get stuffed tomorrow. So a good weekend for The Big Dog.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
About time the Usos did what needed to be done a long time ago.