Projected Contract for Dak - 6 years, $171M with $45M SB, and $90M Guaranteed

Proof

Reaction score
Russell Wilson just reset the market for "elite" at $35 million. 28 will be considered cheap very soon.

I really don’t think so. Brady and Brees continue to take less. Arod isn’t due anytime soon. Big Ben is up next year and I don’t think he’ll get anywhere near what Russ is getting. Mariota and Jameis surely won’t. Foles was just sb mvp and playoff hero and signed 22 aav by a team that is desperate for a qb and has no problem throwing money around. Goff and wentz are the wild cards here but both have some big ?s surrounding them currently, and teams that like to stock the pantry with talent.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
No way I sign Dak for anything close to that I don’t care about what anyone else is making. What I know is Dak can’t win anything without an abundance of talent surrounding him so I’d let some other team figure out how to pay him that kind of money and still field a competitive team. I’d offer him around $20-22 million a year for 5 or 6 years and if he said no, he’d play this year for $2 million and I’d then franchise or transition tag him at the level that requires a 1st and 3rd as compensation and hope someone signs him. I’d keep the whole team together and draft qbs until I found a good one. If this is what mediocre qbs are going to demand, I think I’d settle on qbs on their rookie deals as the new norm until you find that true franchise guy worth paying.

csirl

Reaction score
QBs of Daks talent level can be signed for 2-5m per year on short term deals. The fact that Dallas is not in a position to acquire a franchise QB right now is not a valid excuse for offering franchise QB money.

Dak is under contract for 2019. Lets play the season and see where we are next January.

Proof

Reaction score
QBs of Daks talent level can be signed for 2-5m per year on short term deals. The fact that Dallas is not in a position to acquire a franchise QB right now is not a valid excuse for offering franchise QB money.

Dak is under contract for 2019. Lets play the season and see where we are next January.

I agree for the most part, but once this year is gone our leverage (if there’s any to be had) is effectively shot. Then it’s the franchise tag game and we don’t want any parts of that.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Personally I want the Cowboys to wait until after this season to determine if they want to sign Dak long term, but if I was Dak I'd look at these contracts and think "I'm worth more than these stiffs".
Waiting until after this season just means the price will go up if he plays well. If he’s really who they plan to stick with pay him now and try to save some money.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The problem i have with contracts and comparison of stats is the misinterpretation of those. You can use the simple ones to prove a point. That doesnt mean they are the image of reality. The common mistake is to have an agenda and then find stats to prove them. Thats an emotional approach. But not a good one.

When you look at the film you can clearly see Dak is a below average QB. One who hasnt gotten better at his deficienies since he entered the NFL and for what he was also criticised in college.

You dont pay for stats. You pay for what a player has shown (past), what he is able to do (peak performances) and if he is able to develope so this peak performances become something usual you can count on every sunday (talent). And so you also pay for his predictable abilities (future).

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Signed Dak's agent...err I mean Jumbo!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
No way I sign Dak for anything close to that I don’t care about what anyone else is making. What I know is Dak can’t win anything without an abundance of talent surrounding him so I’d let some other team figure out how to pay him that kind of money and still field a competitive team. I’d offer him around $20-22 million a year for 5 or 6 years and if he said no, he’d play this year for $2 million and I’d then franchise or transition tag him at the level that requires a 1st and 3rd as compensation and hope someone signs him. I’d keep the whole team together and draft qbs until I found a good one. If this is what mediocre qbs are going to demand, I think I’d settle on qbs on their rookie deals as the new norm until you find that true franchise guy worth paying.
You wouldn't pay him 28 a year but you would franchise tag him for what should be around 30 next year?

dckid

Reaction score
At the minimum, Dak will make $28M per season. He's done more than Matthew Stafford, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Kirk Cousins, and deserves to be better paid than any of those players. Let's say, 6 years, 171M - an average of $28.5M, with a $45M signing bonus, and $90M guaranteed over the first 3 seasons.

2019 - $45M signing bonus, $3M salary = $12M Salary CAP hit - $90M Dead Money
2020 - $20M Restructure Bonus, $1M salary = $14M Salary CAP hit - $78M Dead Money
2021 - $21M Salary = $34M Salary CAP hit - $64M Dead Money
2022 - $23M Salary = $36M Salary CAP hit - $30M Dead Money - 4th year out, save $6M against CAP
2023 - $23M Salary = $36M Salary CAP hit - $17M Dead Money - 5th year out, save $19M against CAP
2024 - $32M Salary = $36M Salary CAP hit - $4M Dead Money - 6th year out, save $32M against CAP

DAK gets paid $69M over first two seasons - an average of $34.5M per season. He is guaranteed $90M over first 3 seasons, an average of $30M per season. The Cowboys defer the CAP hits on Dak for years 1 & 2 of the contract, but can decide to eat the 3rd year, and after that, they can actually save money against the CAP by cutting Dak.

Even at a CAP hit of $36M per season, the Salary CAP is expected to be around $220M in 2022, so that is only 16% of the overall Salary CAP - which is about right for a top QB. If Dak fails to continue to improve, then the Cowboys have an out in Year 4. But if he wins a Super Bowl or two over the next 6 years, while the top QB contracts rise to about $45M per season, the Cowboys will have made a bargain deal.
Dak is not as good as the guys you mentioned. Those guys do t have the luxury of Zeke and we would never want him to throw the ball 50 times to win.

dckid

Reaction score
At the minimum, Dak will make $28M per season. He's done more than Matthew Stafford, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Kirk Cousins, and deserves to be better paid than any of those players. Let's say, 6 years, 171M - an average of $28.5M, with a $45M signing bonus, and $90M guaranteed over the first 3 seasons.

2019 - $45M signing bonus, $3M salary = $12M Salary CAP hit - $90M Dead Money
2020 - $20M Restructure Bonus, $1M salary = $14M Salary CAP hit - $78M Dead Money
2021 - $21M Salary = $34M Salary CAP hit - $64M Dead Money
2022 - $23M Salary = $36M Salary CAP hit - $30M Dead Money - 4th year out, save $6M against CAP
2023 - $23M Salary = $36M Salary CAP hit - $17M Dead Money - 5th year out, save $19M against CAP
2024 - $32M Salary = $36M Salary CAP hit - $4M Dead Money - 6th year out, save $32M against CAP

DAK gets paid $69M over first two seasons - an average of $34.5M per season. He is guaranteed $90M over first 3 seasons, an average of $30M per season. The Cowboys defer the CAP hits on Dak for years 1 & 2 of the contract, but can decide to eat the 3rd year, and after that, they can actually save money against the CAP by cutting Dak.

Even at a CAP hit of $36M per season, the Salary CAP is expected to be around $220M in 2022, so that is only 16% of the overall Salary CAP - which is about right for a top QB. If Dak fails to continue to improve, then the Cowboys have an out in Year 4. But if he wins a Super Bowl or two over the next 6 years, while the top QB contracts rise to about $45M per season, the Cowboys will have made a bargain deal.
Dak would fail if he got that contract. Everyone would expect him to carry the team which he cannot do. A man should know his limitations. 22 per year give him an out after year 3 to renegotiate.

HungryLion

Reaction score

:laugh:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I think a lot of people missed the point. :laugh:

It is not about whether or not Dak is worth it, it is about the price point that QBs are getting paid these days. You can hate the player all you want, but he has in fact been a winner (32-16), and he will get paid as such.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Dak would fail if he got that contract. Everyone would expect him to carry the team which he cannot do. A man should know his limitations. 22 per year give him an out after year 3 to renegotiate.
Why do fans act like players will just sign anything? Dak is not signing for anything less than 27 per year. Bottom tier starters are getting paid more than 22 per year. Give me a break.