Proposed trade for Stefon Diggs WR Buffalo

Sandyf

Reaction score
If Dallas really wants to have a realistic chance at winning playoff games in 2024 then several areas need improvent. I have checked with supposed NFL teams on what a post June 1st. trade would entail and it appears to work like a post June 1st cut. Meaning the cost to the cap doesn't change until June 2nd. so I would propose this trade for Dallas.

Dallas puts a transition tag on Biadasz OC, which is $19 million but doesn't count against cap until he signs the tag.

Dallas then trades Michael Gallup WR, Brandin Cooks WR and Tyler Biadasz OC for Stephon Diggs WR.

Gallup carries a cap hit of $13.85 until June 2nd and then we would get a cap saving of $9.5 million.

Brandin Cooks carries a cap hit of $10 million until June 2nd and then we would get a cap saving of $8 million.

Tyler Biadasz would not ever affect cap because Buffalo would obviously sign him to new contract that would lessen his cap hit significantly.

Stephon Diggs would carry a cap hit of $28.85 million for Buffalo then on June 2nd Buffalo would save $22.25 million on the cap. Diggs cost to Dallas would be $18.1 million in 2024 and he is under contract through 2027 at above the same number but only 2024 is guaranteed. Dallas could do a restructure to lower the 2024 number.

Why would Buffalo do the trade? Several reasons, they are $51 million over the cap, Diggs has fallen out of favor with the coaching staff, Buffalo needs WR help as they are living Davis and a couple of others, they are losing there center and although both Dallas and Buffalo would need to do some restructure before the trade they have to do them anyway to be under the cap to sign players.

This helps both teams. Dallas ends up with a dynamic one two WR corp and Buffalo gets 2 starting WRs on the cheap and a very good OC.

What do you think?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Diggs and Lamb! Wow, that would be something. We could go after the center that Pittsburg just cut for salary cap reasons.

Sydla

Reaction score
If Dallas really wants to have a realistic chance at winning playoff games in 2024 then several areas need improvent. I have checked with supposed NFL teams on what a post June 1st. trade would entail and it appears to work like a post June 1st cut. Meaning the cost to the cap doesn't change until June 2nd. so I would propose this trade for Dallas.

Dallas puts a transition tag on Biadasz OC, which is $19 million but doesn't count against cap until he signs the tag.

Dallas then trades Michael Gallup WR, Brandin Cooks WR and Tyler Biadasz OC for Stephon Diggs WR.

Gallup carries a cap hit of $13.85 until June 2nd and then we would get a cap saving of $9.5 million.

Brandin Cooks carries a cap hit of $10 million until June 2nd and then we would get a cap saving of $8 million.

Tyler Biadasz would not ever affect cap because Buffalo would obviously sign him to new contract that would lessen his cap hit significantly.

Stephon Diggs would carry a cap hit of $28.85 million for Buffalo then on June 2nd Buffalo would save $22.25 million on the cap. Diggs cost to Dallas would be $18.1 million in 2024 and he is under contract through 2027 at above the same number but only 2024 is guaranteed. Dallas could do a restructure to lower the 2024 number.

Why would Buffalo do the trade? Several reasons, they are $51 million over the cap, Diggs has fallen out of favor with the coaching staff, Buffalo needs WR help as they are living Davis and a couple of others, they are losing there center and although both Dallas and Buffalo would need to do some restructure before the trade they have to do them anyway to be under the cap to sign players.

This helps both teams. Dallas ends up with a dynamic one two WR corp and Buffalo gets 2 starting WRs on the cheap and a very good OC.

What do you think?
What is the timing of this trade?

One, I don't think you can designate a trade before June 1 as a June 1 trade. Only cuts have that loophole. Two, I think for purposes of getting under the cap, if they transition tag Biadasz they have to account for his cap hit immediately, whether he signs or not for purposes of being under the cap by the start of the league year.

Franchise or Transition Tag – any player who receives the Franchise or Transition Tag (other than the Exclusive Franchise Tag) is still technically a Free Agent, but is restricted by the Tag. A player under the Tag does count against the Salary Cap, at the amount of the Franchise or Transition Tag tender amount.
And I don't think you can sign tagged players anyway unless they actually sign the tender. So this trade seems to fail a bunch of procedural hurdles.

Last edited:

Gambit

Reaction score
Franchised players can't be traded until they sign the tag.

rambo2

Reaction score

What do you think?
I think that they can get a better receiver in the draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think that they can get a better receiver in the draft.
Maybe if they use a 1st round pick on one and even that would be a risk. It also would not be very wise IMO.

Diggs had over 100 catches for 1100 yards last year. You'd be hard pressed to find a rookie who would do better.

That being said, they aren't trading for Diggs anyway.

Jimbo123

Reaction score

What do you think?
You should e-mail this proposal to Jerry and the Buffalo GM immediately.

Jayinem

Reaction score
You're talking about tying up 50 million per year in WRs after you pay CeeDee. I'm not sure it's worth it, maybe. But we have other needs. The trade proposed in the OP isn't bad though not sure if Bills would bite.

rambo2

Reaction score
Maybe if they use a 1st round pick on one and even that would be a risk. It also would not be very wise IMO.

Diggs had over 100 catches for 1100 yards last year. You'd be hard pressed to find a rookie who would do better.

That being said, they aren't trading for Diggs anyway.
They can get 1 between 80 and 120.

Motorola

Reaction score

What do you think?
I admire your research and presentation on this proposal, when first seen previous threads about acquiring WR Diggs did not seem plausible.