Proposed trade for Stefon Diggs WR Buffalo

Adreme

Reaction score
If Dallas really wants to have a realistic chance at winning playoff games in 2024 then several areas need improvent. I have checked with supposed NFL teams on what a post June 1st. trade would entail and it appears to work like a post June 1st cut. Meaning the cost to the cap doesn't change until June 2nd. so I would propose this trade for Dallas.

Dallas puts a transition tag on Biadasz OC, which is $19 million but doesn't count against cap until he signs the tag.

Dallas then trades Michael Gallup WR, Brandin Cooks WR and Tyler Biadasz OC for Stephon Diggs WR.

Gallup carries a cap hit of $13.85 until June 2nd and then we would get a cap saving of $9.5 million.

Brandin Cooks carries a cap hit of $10 million until June 2nd and then we would get a cap saving of $8 million.

Tyler Biadasz would not ever affect cap because Buffalo would obviously sign him to new contract that would lessen his cap hit significantly.

Stephon Diggs would carry a cap hit of $28.85 million for Buffalo then on June 2nd Buffalo would save $22.25 million on the cap. Diggs cost to Dallas would be $18.1 million in 2024 and he is under contract through 2027 at above the same number but only 2024 is guaranteed. Dallas could do a restructure to lower the 2024 number.

Why would Buffalo do the trade? Several reasons, they are $51 million over the cap, Diggs has fallen out of favor with the coaching staff, Buffalo needs WR help as they are living Davis and a couple of others, they are losing there center and although both Dallas and Buffalo would need to do some restructure before the trade they have to do them anyway to be under the cap to sign players.

This helps both teams. Dallas ends up with a dynamic one two WR corp and Buffalo gets 2 starting WRs on the cheap and a very good OC.

What do you think?
So lets start with the obvious: your logic with Buffalo makes no sense and for Tyler as well. You are basically putting double what Tyler's value is by tagging him. He is fine playing under said tag and would have no reason to actually do a new deal because again you are paying double what he would get on the open market and while it is for one year that is a great deal for him to just let happen as 19m is about what he would get guaranteed on any multi year deal he signs anyway so might as well delay FA one year. For Buffalo they have serious cap issues (they actually do not as it is fairly easy for them to get under the cap but I will not get into that) and your idea is to add underperforming overpaid players to that cap. Basically you would be lumping 3 underperforming overpaid players together for their number 1 WR and Buffalo under the idea that maybe other teams would value Cowboys cast offs highly. It makes no sense.

Lets use draft capital to demonstrate how silly this is. Diggs probably has the value of at least a 2nd round or a low 1st round pick. None of the players listed could fetch a 4th and Gallup might not even get a 5th or a 6th. The value is simply not there. Buffalo would hear that offer laugh and then ask what your real offer is.

Edit: there is also something to point out about tagged players. You actually have to account for them regardless of whether they sign the tag or not if you intend to tag them so he would effectively count against the cap for as long as he is a Cowboy

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't want Digg's contract. I would wait this out and see if Buffalo decides to part ways with him. Then Dallas can sign him to whatever deal he is willing to agree to.
which would still be in the area of 20 million plus

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I think we need to upgrade for sure but adding Diggs or a wide receiver is the way to do it. Upgrade linebacker, dt and put them money there. We don’t need another high priced receiver.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think we need to upgrade for sure but adding Diggs or a wide receiver is the way to do it. Upgrade linebacker, dt and put them money there. We don’t need another high priced receiver.
it's the way to do it by adding diggs, but we don't need to add another high priced receiver? I'm pretty sure you meant we don't need to, i'd rather us just draft one

coult44

Reaction score
If Dallas really wants to have a realistic chance at winning playoff games in 2024 then several areas need improvent. I have checked with supposed NFL teams on what a post June 1st. trade would entail and it appears to work like a post June 1st cut. Meaning the cost to the cap doesn't change until June 2nd. so I would propose this trade for Dallas.

Dallas puts a transition tag on Biadasz OC, which is $19 million but doesn't count against cap until he signs the tag.

Dallas then trades Michael Gallup WR, Brandin Cooks WR and Tyler Biadasz OC for Stephon Diggs WR.

Gallup carries a cap hit of $13.85 until June 2nd and then we would get a cap saving of $9.5 million.

Brandin Cooks carries a cap hit of $10 million until June 2nd and then we would get a cap saving of $8 million.

Tyler Biadasz would not ever affect cap because Buffalo would obviously sign him to new contract that would lessen his cap hit significantly.

Stephon Diggs would carry a cap hit of $28.85 million for Buffalo then on June 2nd Buffalo would save $22.25 million on the cap. Diggs cost to Dallas would be $18.1 million in 2024 and he is under contract through 2027 at above the same number but only 2024 is guaranteed. Dallas could do a restructure to lower the 2024 number.

Why would Buffalo do the trade? Several reasons, they are $51 million over the cap, Diggs has fallen out of favor with the coaching staff, Buffalo needs WR help as they are living Davis and a couple of others, they are losing there center and although both Dallas and Buffalo would need to do some restructure before the trade they have to do them anyway to be under the cap to sign players.

This helps both teams. Dallas ends up with a dynamic one two WR corp and Buffalo gets 2 starting WRs on the cheap and a very good OC.

What do you think?
It’s going to be a long off-season holy crap….

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Great work. Now get started on getting Bonds and Griffey in the same outfield without giving up all that much.

Big_D

Reaction score
These teams are looking for picks. They don't want Biadisz, Gallup or Cook. They can just get something else in free agency!

Creeper

Reaction score
which would still be in the area of 20 million plus
Then don't sign him. The Cowboys have greater needs.

The Cowboys couldn't tolerqate Cooper's $20 million salary. I doubt they will fork over $22 million for Diggs.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
LOL.

Trade a bunch of guys we'd be getting g rid of anyway, for Diggs.

Let's throw in Mazi's pile of empty McDonald's bags and Twinkie wrappers.