Proposed trade for Stefon Diggs WR Buffalo

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Lamb Diggs Ferguson is a crazy trio .. then get Derrick Henry and there are zero excuses.
Not if the other team is rushing for 200 yards a game. The issues here are way more on the defensive side than offensive. If you can’t stop the run, you aren’t winning anything

Big_D

Reaction score
Lamb Diggs Ferguson is a crazy trio .. then get Derrick Henry and there are zero excuses.
Just get Henry and keep Cook. Henry will be a difference maker and finally bring a legit running game to Dallas.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
If Dallas really wants to have a realistic chance at winning playoff games in 2024 then several areas need improvent. I have checked with supposed NFL teams on what a post June 1st. trade would entail and it appears to work like a post June 1st cut. Meaning the cost to the cap doesn't change until June 2nd. so I would propose this trade for Dallas.

Dallas puts a transition tag on Biadasz OC, which is $19 million but doesn't count against cap until he signs the tag.

Dallas then trades Michael Gallup WR, Brandin Cooks WR and Tyler Biadasz OC for Stephon Diggs WR.

Gallup carries a cap hit of $13.85 until June 2nd and then we would get a cap saving of $9.5 million.

Brandin Cooks carries a cap hit of $10 million until June 2nd and then we would get a cap saving of $8 million.

Tyler Biadasz would not ever affect cap because Buffalo would obviously sign him to new contract that would lessen his cap hit significantly.

Stephon Diggs would carry a cap hit of $28.85 million for Buffalo then on June 2nd Buffalo would save $22.25 million on the cap. Diggs cost to Dallas would be $18.1 million in 2024 and he is under contract through 2027 at above the same number but only 2024 is guaranteed. Dallas could do a restructure to lower the 2024 number.

Why would Buffalo do the trade? Several reasons, they are $51 million over the cap, Diggs has fallen out of favor with the coaching staff, Buffalo needs WR help as they are living Davis and a couple of others, they are losing there center and although both Dallas and Buffalo would need to do some restructure before the trade they have to do them anyway to be under the cap to sign players.

This helps both teams. Dallas ends up with a dynamic one two WR corp and Buffalo gets 2 starting WRs on the cheap and a very good OC.

What do you think?
Diggs is washed

duro420

Reaction score
Ya no you can't do a lot of the stuff you're saying you can. And who really cares about the post designated money when really were talking about a trade for Diggs. Anyway those numbers you were throwing out trying to look all smart are wrong. I used to be a GM in the NFL so I would know.

And finally, it's honestly a silly trade and I'm being nice when I say silly.
Ok thank you for sharing.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If Dallas really wants to have a realistic chance at winning playoff games in 2024 then several areas need improvent. I have checked with supposed NFL teams on what a post June 1st. trade would entail and it appears to work like a post June 1st cut. Meaning the cost to the cap doesn't change until June 2nd. so I would propose this trade for Dallas.

Dallas puts a transition tag on Biadasz OC, which is $19 million but doesn't count against cap until he signs the tag.

Dallas then trades Michael Gallup WR, Brandin Cooks WR and Tyler Biadasz OC for Stephon Diggs WR.

Gallup carries a cap hit of $13.85 until June 2nd and then we would get a cap saving of $9.5 million.

Brandin Cooks carries a cap hit of $10 million until June 2nd and then we would get a cap saving of $8 million.

Tyler Biadasz would not ever affect cap because Buffalo would obviously sign him to new contract that would lessen his cap hit significantly.

Stephon Diggs would carry a cap hit of $28.85 million for Buffalo then on June 2nd Buffalo would save $22.25 million on the cap. Diggs cost to Dallas would be $18.1 million in 2024 and he is under contract through 2027 at above the same number but only 2024 is guaranteed. Dallas could do a restructure to lower the 2024 number.

Why would Buffalo do the trade? Several reasons, they are $51 million over the cap, Diggs has fallen out of favor with the coaching staff, Buffalo needs WR help as they are living Davis and a couple of others, they are losing there center and although both Dallas and Buffalo would need to do some restructure before the trade they have to do them anyway to be under the cap to sign players.

This helps both teams. Dallas ends up with a dynamic one two WR corp and Buffalo gets 2 starting WRs on the cheap and a very good OC.

What do you think?
If I am Biadasz and you tagged me at $19M, I am not signing a new contract extension and laughing on the way to the bank. I would take my chances the following year as a free agent.

Top Center in the league is like $13M. Biadasz would be lucky get $10M. If you want to pay me double in 1 year, I am taking it.

Chasing6

Reaction score

What do you think?
I think we should include a few more players from both teams.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Sandy, I think we're all forced to allow Jerry and Stephen to serve as owners and managers of the Cowboys, as undesirable as that may seem.

Your ideas about how to manage the Cowboys might be workable but doing all of these things aren't about to happen without their allowing it.
How might you propose to make that happen? Just asking . . .:huh:

Last edited:

Sandyf

Reaction score
Sandy, I think we're all forced to allow Jerry and Stephen to serve as owners and managers of the Cowboys, as undesirable as that may seem.

Your ideas about how to manage the Cowboys might be workable but doing all of these things aren't about to happen without their allowing it.
How might you propose to make that happen? Just asking . . .:huh:
I appreciate all the comments, really do. It was an idea in just trying to find a way to make the team better at least on one side of the ball.

If I could make the calls then I guess this is what I would do starting with now. I would extend Dak, Lamb and Parsons. My reason is it solves a cap space problem so we can be active in free agency and it also puts Lamb and Parsons under control with deals that although expensive will be cheaper overall with the cap space rising every year. Same with Dak, much to many fans distrust because they don't view him as the guy. Watching football since I was 8 years old in 1959 with our first TV has let me see how teams have always struggled to find that guy. I loved Eddie LeBaron but he wouldn't even sniff the practice squad in today's game. Dak is never going to be Mahomes but with a good defense and the right weapons, he can get us there.

After those extensions, then I restructure Martin and Diggs by the start of free agency. I first resign a few of our own in Tyron Smith, Trent Sieg, Stephon Gilmore, Noah Igbinhoghene, Jonthan Hankins and maybe Jordaun Lewis and Tony Pollard. Also tender Rico Dowdle as he is RFA with non draft pick compensation. Those last two depends on where McCarthy and Zimmer believe to be their best options for 2024.

In free agency, I would, assuming they are available and not resigned by their teams, sign Devin White LB and Grover Stewart and K'Lavon Chassion OLB/DE. Depending on if they want Pollard back, if not then A.J. Dillion and a draft pick, if they do then Pollard and a draft pick like the Braelon Allen. Then I would make the trade for Stephon Diggs and do it after June 1st when you can split the cost over two years. (I do believe you can agree to the trade prior and not execute it until June 2nd. Yes you don't get the saving until then but both teams will need that saving for in season in 2024)

Now the why as I see it. I'll start with the defense and Zimmer. Zimmer runs a different style than Quinn, we all know this. The players he likes on the DL is a run stopper wih size i.e. Stewart. Grover is a great run stopper with limited pass rush options but he almost always needs to be double teamed. And he will not be near as expensive as a Chris Jones who KC is keeping anyway. I could see us trying to sign Javon Kinlaw also mainly due to his contract value being small and Zimmer was interested in him when he came out of college. But Stewart, I believe, is his main target. He also wants a MLB/ILB guy that can stop a runner in his tracks and who would be perfect in Zimmer's defensive scheme be it a 3/4 or 4/3 of which Zimmer will run both. Now Chassion is a guy that can play a good OLB and be a DE part of time with good speed and quickness, probably a rotation piece with a market value of $3 million. White's market value is $11 million and Stewart is $8 million. Those are one year contract value not what the total contract.

In CBs, Zimmer would value the Gilmore type and Igbinhoghene type based on Gilmore's history and Ig's college defense. His secondary does a lot of different looks and interchanges coverage. We will see Wilson and Hooker be blitz pieces also and Bell also. Parsons will be an OLB but will rush the passer from a multitude of different areas probably moving from one spot to another just before the snap. Hankins will be a rotation piece with Stewart and Mazi Smith a rotation piece with Osi but betting he will have to gain back some 20 pounds.

On offense, the draft will yield two OL guys, one a tackle and one an IOL guy that can play all three spots if necessary and betting they both are guys that have a true mean streak and not finesse players. I could see the first three picks being Fautanu, Frazier or Van Pran, then Allen. Smith will be the starter but don't sleep on Fautanu taking over, he's better than you think. Both Frazier and Van Pran are smart, tough, strong and love to hit guys. Allen would be the grinder back and Pollard back to what he does best as the alternate back. Then we come to Diggs. He would complement Lamb greatly where you didn't have to look continual at Lamb for a reception. Like Diggs or not, he still is better than anyone else not named Lamb we have.

I just see doing this gives us the best possible team for 2024 and several years afterwards. Then again it is my opinion and we all have one. Thanks for reading though.

Flamma

Reaction score
And I don't think you can sign tagged players anyway unless they actually sign the tender. So this trade seems to fail a bunch of procedural hurdles.
He signs that tag in 2 seconds. It fails on more than procedural issues. What's his market value? Around 6,7 mil tops? No center in the league makes 19m per year. He's certainly not going to take a long term deal making market value when he can play for one year making 19M.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not if the other team is rushing for 200 yards a game. The issues here are way more on the defensive side than offensive. If you can’t stop the run, you aren’t winning anything
I agree there's far too many suggestions on how to improve the offense with crazy trades and older aging running backs etcetera etcetera and the wide receiver is baffling I don't think we need to make a trade like this I mean it happens it happens but I want to make a trade for a big time linebacker or bring one in and free agency and in a draft as well as maybe a defensive tackle we need to fix the middle of the defense...

The offense I believe was at least a top five offense last year is probably gonna get better or at least be the same at good running game not gonna be hard to improve the office but the defense with Mike Zimmer is gonna need to jettison some players bringing his own guys is far more of a priority this year....

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
All things being equal, I’d rather get Mike Evans than Diggs. This team needs a bona fide deep threat and red zone presence.